Saturday, July 3, 2010

Exploding Head Syndrome


So apparently, I am not alone. The mini-traumas I often experience whilst trying to go to sleep are an actual disorder: exploding head syndrome. Not even kidding; this is an actual medical condition.

This happens to me all the time. On the rare occasions I manage to drift off to sleep without tossing and turning for hours, heart palpitations, night terrors, or dreaming while awake; I get these weird explosions. I swear, it sounds like bombs exploding, or thunder, or the whole house collapsing around my ears. And I'm ALWAYS seeing bright flashes of light and thinking it's coming from the sky outside my window. My first thought is usually OMG, ALIENS!!! (I have a preoccupation with aliens, if y'all haven't figured that out - an ongoing paranoia).

But no, there's no bombs and no aliens. I'm just a little more sleep disordered than I thought.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, geeze, this sounds sooo awful...i'm sorry this is happening to you...hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, luv! It's not as bad as it sounds. It's like when you're almost asleep and you have those half-dreams where you're falling, and then you jump awake. Except instead of falling, there's a hydrogen bomb being dropped on my bed and I jump awake. :D

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.