Thursday, April 24, 2014

U is for Understanding the Use of Punctuation

When my mother texts me, pretty much every sentence ends in an exclamation point.

We had this conversation a while back:
[A few back and forth texts regarding a car issue I had]

Me: Bro-in-law brought the car back to my house.

Mum: Did he charge you?!

Me: Big Sis#2 said not to worry about it.

Mum: Then don't!

Me: Lol why are you yelling?

Mum: When was I yelling?!

Me: The exclamation points make me read it in a yelling voice.

Mum: Then you're the one yelling!

Me: -___________-


I shall just have to add this to the long long list of things Mum cannot understand because she refuses to do so. 

5 comments:

  1. My son used to do the same thing until his brother told him to stop!!

    Elsie
    AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good job she didn't capitalise every letter or that would have just driven me insane. I also read it in a loud, yelly voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a lot of trends in writing including the hyphenation of everything now, and the use of [ ] instead of () but an ! has always been an exclamation to me not a sign of yelling. It can denote sarcasm or humour as well... I think they are over used in text all the time but I think your mum is right about the yelling this time :)
    Ida
    Reflex Reactions

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our mothers are on a similar level of punctuation fail -.-;

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.