Tuesday, April 22, 2014

S is for Swearing


I tried to give up swearing for Lent.

It didn't work out.

I was raised in an Irish family where profanity is just part of the dialect. My first word as a child was "shit." Foul language was just commonplace when I was growing up; I never thought of it as taboo.

Which is why giving up swearing never works.

If you actually sit and think about the whole concept, it's kind of ridiculous. I mean they're just words. Which made me realize something in my efforts to not swear. I started using "alternate" words instead of swearing. 

"Grasshole" is now a common insult amongst my siblings, as is "dishrag." The words changed, but if you think about it, I'm still swearing. Whether I shout "COCKSUCKER" or "SACAJAWEA" (another new family fav...) after bashing my knee into the coffee table, the intent remains the same. It doesn't matter what the word is, I'm still swearing.

So the lesson learned from this is to not bother trying not to swear.


[A side note: I apologize for lack of comments on other blogs. All the A-Z posts are set to post automatically, while I continue to wallow in a depressive funk.]

7 comments:

  1. I always liked "shut the front door." I try not to swear on my blog, but do everywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay well this has nothing to do with your post but I came across this test and immediately thought of you: http://www.playbuzz.com/andyb10/which-my-little-pony-are-you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That quiz was hilarious. I got Snuzzle.

      Delete
  3. P.S. When I was growing up my father didn't allow me to cuss. This meant that whenever I got mad or stubbed my tow I would just yell out nonsense and made up words. I think the first time I ever cussed was in high school and it was only because dipshit was so fun to say. So anyway, I agree, words are just words. What matters is the attitude and meaning you give them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have fond childhood memories of me and my nieces (7, 6, and 5, the three of us) helping a three-year old nephew practice his new first word- the same as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been much of a cusser but during my year-and-a-half stint of major depression, my speech has completely deteriorated. If I we're to read my posts from late 2012, there would probably be a discernable moment when it started :P

    I agree, no point in not sweating, except at work and in front of my grandmother. I do love the word "jackwagon," though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear FAR too much.

    Around customers and small children I use 'Hobbit-Swears' (Blast and bebother! Oh, balls.)

    Rest of the time, people can go fuck themselves if they don't like it. I am me and they can just fucking DEAL.

    Would a little package of random stuff help brighten the funk a bit? You still snowed under or can the postie get through now?

    <3

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.