WHY must all the worms come out when it's raining?!?
I was in class tonight (prof let us out like 20 minutes late AGAIN). I got 108% on the test I was terrified I failed! That made me pretty excited. I'm presuming he used a curve...
And then on the way out, I step into the courtyard and look down at the ground. Worms. Everywhere. [This is my worst phobia--the sight of worms leads to panic, and nausea to the point where I have been known to vomit like a person possessed by demons]. I must have looked like a damsel in distress, because a very nice boy from my class came over and offered me the use of his umbrella, and then asked if I was ok. What a cutie: he held the umbrella over my head and used his phone to check the ground for worms all the way to my car.
I got home to find most of Little Sis's cookie cake on the kitchen counter. I had hoped they would eat it all. It nearly defeated me: I had a couple tiny pieces and then had to run away. Now I'm sitting here foaming at the mouth and using every single ounce of my willpower to keep away from the kitchen.
... My cat just launched an attack on the aquarium at the top of my blog. She seemed perturbed by the fact that she could not reach the fish.
Vegetable soup was a success. And so as promised, here is the recipe:
You will need:
- Lots of veggies!! Seasonal/Autumn veg is best, since this is a wintertime sort of soup. It's lovely as a starter at Thanksgiving and Christmas! Today I used 1 Spanish onion, 4 cups of broccoli, 3 cups of carrots, 1 butternut squash, and 2 large parsnips. The 2 parsnips turned out to be a mistake--I would recommend using maybe half of a big one, and then instead using more broccoli and squash. Or you can replace the parsnips with potato (always the gold ones). It tasted good (OBVIOUSLY) when I made it, but the parsnip flavour was very strong. Technically you can use whatever vegetables you want, but you must begin with an onion. I also would not recommend using celery--bits of string always seem to get left in the soup even after the blender.
- I used 1 1/2 tbsp whipped butter (105 cals). You can make the whole recipe vegan-friendly if you replace this with something non-dairy.
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I used Swanson, 60 cals). I think I actually should have used more, as the soup came out quite thick, but you can always add more if you notice it's not soupy enough. You could use chicken broth if you want, but I think that takes away from the flavour.
- Salt, pepper, thyme, sage, and celery seed. You can play around with any herbs and spices, but I really recommend using the celery seed.
To make it:
- Chop up all your veggies. Make sure to try and separate/group them according to how long they usually take to cook. The onions should be kept separate from everything.
- Using a really big pot, cook the onions in the butter and a little salt and pepper until they are transparent.
Cook them on a medium - low heat, so they cook slowly and don't start turning golden-brown. Once they're transparent, add half of the broth, and the first batch of veggies (in my case, the squash and parsnips) and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the rest of the broth and the rest of the veggies, and bring it to a boil again. Let it simmer another 10 - 15 minutes, until everything is cooked. You want the vegetables soft enough that you can easily squash them with a fork. Ad the celery seed, sage, and thyme (or whatever you want to use) when everything is almost cooked.
- Once it's cooked enough, take the pot off the stove and let it cool down for a while. Then get your potato masher out and mash it all up to make the blender's job a bit easier.
- Let it cool down for like 20 minutes after mashing, and then put the whole mess into the blender. Puree it!
In total, I made about 9 cups of the soup, at roughly 155 calories per cup. If you want an extra garnish to make it look pretty, when you're serving it you can add a drizzle of light cream (30 cals per tbsp), and then you mix that into the soup as you're eating it. I would have posted a photo of how that looks, but my soup turned out a bit too thick (I had no broth left), so I couldn't make it look photogenic enough.
I invented this recipe all by my self. :D It's pretty basic and others have come up with it before I did, but I'm still proud of myself.






Thanks for your comment on my blog! That soup looks delicious! I love that you're always coming up with great-tasting healthy meals.
ReplyDeleteAlso, here's to a fellow shortie!
haha that picture was hilarious :) i haven't eaten in almost 3 days and am sitting right near the kitchen atm...know EXACTLY how you feel!
ReplyDeleteveggie soup looks yum xx
"... My cat just launched an attack on the aquarium at the top of my blog. She seemed perturbed by the fact that she could not reach the fish. "
ReplyDeleteMade me laugh out loud. I miss my kitty, sounds like something she would have done.
Eww I hate worms especially when it rains.. they just look all squishy lol.
ReplyDeleteUgh I feel your pain. I just ate two M&Ms and am now trying to resist a closet full of halloween candy.
mmm I will 100% be making that soup when Im home for the christmas holidays. I love it that you post neat things like recipes too, its a nice break from the usual stuff we all post haha.
ReplyDeleteSOUP.
ReplyDeleteYES!
xoxo
I love soup, and I can't wait to try your recipe. I've never had squash in soup (I've never had squash ever, actually. Can you believe it?) so I am quite anxious to try it.
ReplyDeleteI hate worms, too, but I hate spiders more. They'd be cool, I guess, because I actually quite like the look of spiders, but I always get eaten alive by them all. Mosquitos and spiders, I must have wonderful blood.
I don't know if I've said this before, and if I sounded like a creeper then, but you are so very, very lovely. Just wanted to tell you so. :)
mmmmm soup *drools*
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing! :) I know you can resist temptation- don't give in!!! xxx
http://www.stumbleupon.com/
ReplyDeleteYou'll never hand an assignment in on time again.
*Mwah* Take it out of my hide later
All those worms! Eww gross! Bugs/insects/worms of any kind are disgusting! My grandma will hear me shriek from downstairs and she'll come down there carrying a shoe XD. That was really sweet what that guy did for you. I bet he felt special the rest of the evening =)
ReplyDeleteYour drawing made me smile! Your computer art skills are definitely better than mine! Cat's are so cute and playful and all dogs do is yap all the time and pee in your floor! :/
Thank you so much for the recipe! I'm definitely going to fix it next weekend! I love veggie soup when it's really cold outside- it reminds me of the Fall weather =)
♥
Hahaha I fkn love that picture you made! its monster perfect! and good job restraining yourself from the sweet treats! that boy sounds super sweet. I'm gonna post a special section for you on my blog today about my phobia lol so you wont feel so bad! lmao
ReplyDeletexoxoxo love u!
Ew I'm not a fan of worms either . Every time it rains my kids like to go outside and find the worms on the sidewalk and put them back where they belong (in the grass). Totally grosses me out! Soup looks delicious!!
ReplyDeleteidk how u like rain so much when its always raining in this damn state
ReplyDeletei hate teh rain it drives me crazy makes me hurt and depressed and makes me stuck inside
but i hate worms as well
ha we both made soup yesterday :) mine wasnt my own recipe though found it online low sodium low fat one
but urs sounds yummy idk have to make adjustments though
Ew worms. At least you got a cute guy out of it ;) That soup looks divine! I shall have to make it some time. ♥
ReplyDeleteHello :) Recent follower of your blog and I love it! That soup looks great too! Take care :) <3 Jade
ReplyDeletei love making veggie soup! oh wow i totally can't sympathize with your fear of worms lol they are the only bug i can tolerate. anything else sends me running down the street for the nearest bug-killin man!
ReplyDeleteomg i would LOVE an owl tattoo i have an owl dress, ring, earrings, stickynotes statues, bobby pins everything! you should post a pic of your tattoo!
Congrats on the test score, that is super-awesome! :) I'm sure that was a lovely surprise. Stupid cookies & cakes & cookie cakes. I hope it doesn't taunt you too much & disappears soon for ya.
ReplyDeleteYour comment was amazing, I love you to bits!
ReplyDeleteThe Disney princesses were such good rolemodels. Beauty fell in love with a beast, Jasmine married a common thief and Snow White took candy from strangers XD However, they did have many admirable qualities. I loved Ariel to bits!
I'm up for that. Would you like a basic 10*10 square peggy blanket (2m*2m) or a different siziing? Colour preferences?
Crap, I thrash jeans something wicked :x How about an awesome Mich-Art patch to put on my Devilsticks bag? (I've got a goldfish iron-on and another that says 'When I want your opinion I'll remove the duct tape') Damn I have to post photos of that thing! I'm so disgustingly proud of it I can't believe I haven't shown it off yet. (Camera is flat. Thats why!)
Free books, fucking AY! Was that the Gutenburg project?
My family live in a place where for some reason there are a lot of snails. They tend to come out at night, lying on the pavements. I used to have a tendency for walking home around 3am, slightly intoxicated, and the snails made it all slightly tricky. I remember stepping on one once, and crunching it. I was devastated.
ReplyDeleteNot quite worms, but your worm-talking made me think of snails. Oh, we also live on what used to be a moor, so we get masses of frogs too. Frog-sex on the driveway. Great.
that vegitable soup actually looked delish... in my house everyone picks a day and they have to make dinner (ya thats right i trick my family into having a under 500 cal dinner every week!) might try that soup for one of them... :P
ReplyDelete