Thursday, October 21, 2010

Reckless Endangerment.

Awesome hike yesterday. By my pedometer's count, we did more than 5 miles. I went through 5 rolls of 35mm film (4 colour, 3 black & white). Many lovely photos of the foliage and the castles. I'm taking them to get developed today, so I should have them back by the weekend, and my lazy arse will have them uploaded onto the website by sometime in 2012. 


Just kidding. :D Imma get the peeps at Bergen County Camera to put all the photos on a CD, which will save me several hours of scanning and fixing. 


My tree that I planned on climbing is no more. It would appear that he has fallen down. 
There he was--dead and petrified and super creepy, standing majestically atop the mountain. I had my bungee cord and everything, to get to the first branch (I'm only 5' 1"--I couldn't quite reach it from the ground). I planned on climbing all the way to the top so I could take an awesome photo of the surrounding mountains and valleys from a greater height.


But in the end, it's probably a good thing I did not climb all the way to the top, because there is a large chance that the tree would have toppled, sending me sprawling off the cliff to my death. I'll just add this to the list of things the Almighty has done to intervene with my reckless behavior. There's been several incidents at this point--odd coincidences where random acts of Nature have stopped my adventurous plans. Like that one time we were in Ireland for the summer, and the tide stayed in for like 3 days. I wanted to cross the black sinky sand to go play with the seals at Oileán Rua on the other side of the bay, but in order to do that one must cross a stretch of black sand that is basically quicksand. All the adults present strictly forbid us going anywhere near the sinky sand (HA!). My cousins and I lost many a pair of Wellington boots in that stuff. And I know the guy that lives down there has lost 2 dogs and a donkey. 


Like that scares me? Please. 


But when the tide is in, you can't cross it; as then you would have to deal with deep water, the riptide, and the quicksand. Even I'm not that stupid. But alas, the tide always seemed to be in when I wanted to go there. 


Yeah I was one of those kids that was constantly jumping out of trees, off roofs, down whole flights of stairs, putting myself down the laundry chute, wandering off into the woods alone, playing with explosives (I <3 fire), doing ridiculous stunts on my bike.... the list goes on and on, and yet I managed to never hurt myself. The odd scrape or bruise or bump on the head, but that was it. And apparently at a very young age, I stopped crying when I got hurt (like 7 or 8?). Mum suspects lingering damage from one of the many times I hit my head off the concrete. I was That Kid that the other kids weren't allowed to play with. I have a total disregard for safety. Sure it makes me look fearless at times, but in general it's just reckless. I wouldn't call it bravery so much as irresponsible impulsiveness.


:D


So just to clarify--because I think I confused some of you with the last post--I no longer live in that house. I've lived in New Jersey pretty much my whole life. That's the house in County Mayo where Mum grew up, where I began life, and where we stayed 2 or 3 times a year while I was growing up (Christmas, summer, and Easter). Mum hated when I was off school, so she used to pack me off to Granny's house every June and then come get me just before school started in September. 'Twas AWESOME--3 whole months every year with zero parental supervision, and limitless wide open spaces to explore. I'll have to dig out more photos and post them in the gallery...


I'm off to read your blogs and then work out. How a lovely day, my girlies!! (Or night, if you're on the flipside of the world!)
xoxo

8 comments:

  1. Oooo, love the look of that tree, all swirly and twisted, quite creepy, which is a good thing =D
    Sounds like you're happy today, which is good =]

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for recklessness! Being reckless & adventurous makes life much more interesting and enjoyable, especially as a kid. And the fact you were able to do all that and not get hurt is amazing- that takes talent my friend!

    That tree is really pretty! Dead tress are so cool looking, especially when it's really foggy and cloudy out. They have s spooky air about them that make them all the more interesting. That's so cool how you've been to Ireland! I'd love go. You go to go and have adventures and not just do the touristy stuff which is great! 2 dogs and a donkey..,haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE YOUR PICTURE SITE!!

    get the new ones up! :)

    Happy Autumn! you seem to love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. you sound very adventurous! I would love to have the imagination to come up with such interesting things to do. You're comment made me smile greatly by the way.

    xo Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. damns orry u coudlnt climb the tree
    i was always climbing stuff wheni was lil i still have my own lil reckless behavior but yeah i was the kid who always got hurt u have no idea how many broken bones ihad o and stitiches yay

    it makes me want to visit ireland it looks so pretty and i need to c the hole now aadress tihng msyelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. ;) rebel

    haha, aww i'm so jealous you lived in such a loveley house! it's so frikken adorable <3 haha
    Have fun working out :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man, I know all about that reckless shit. I've got a couple of broken and fused together ribs to attest to that. lol

    it's crazy how it just doesn't ever wear off? a summer or two ago, I ripped my skirt jumping an 8ft fence to trespass on some private school's playground in the middle of the night...I'm SO too old for that shit, and yet at the time it seemed like exactly the right shit to be getting into. hahaha

    in the process of escaping before the campus security made the rounds and caught us, I ripped my skirt from hem to zipper, lost my shades and a toy robot B had *just* given me like 2hrs before. he was so not happy with me when he found out how (and how soon) I lost it.

    irresponsibility! yay!

    and as far as me and him go, we'll be fine. I'm neurotic and a worrier and the type of person with so much baggage that it sometimes obscures the simple/easy parts of any and every thing. but we're ok. we're pretty solid these days, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha ha ha two dogs and a donkey. I love climbing trees... but it is practically treeless around here. I'm impressed the hike! go you!
    xoxoxoxo loves honey!

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.