Edit--my mistake: I meant Stelara, not Seroquel...
Great quotes from New Boss: "How can you hate Kevin Bacon?!? I LOVE Kevin Bacon!!"
::shudders::
Well the pre-Christmas starve-a-thon isn't exactly going as planned. I am eating everything I can get my grubby little hands on. But I'm not going to freak out. It's the holidays. I know when a battle is lost. And I'm not going to be that a-hole who opens the door to the UPS guy and signs for the giant wooden horse. Because I am not a patsy. I will give in, but I shall give in with DIGNITY, darnit. I'm still exercising as much as humanly possible, so hopefully it will all even out. And I plan on taking half a box of Ex-Lax tomorrow for Christmas Eve Eve, so at least I can flush out some of the garbage before the serious culinary debauchery begins.
I have Christmas Eve off, so I intend to spend the entire day baking. I'm making my famous spiced angel food cake, Christmas tree-shaped shortbread cookies, my own version of mince pies from scratch (should be interesting, as I've never made those before...), and the Pumpkin Pasties recipe from my new Harry Potter cookbook.
Had to buy it. How could I possibly resist such a thing?!? I had originally purchased it as a Christmas gift for Big Sis #2, but decided to keep it for myself. I also considered doing the same with the Tool sweatshirt I got Little Bro #1, but then wrapped it and stuck it under the tree so I CAN'T steal it. I had some serious fun wrapping on Saturday night. I was texting Kazehana during all this (well, I was texting, she was on AIM I think)--took my usual 3 sleeping pills and wrapped presents while watching Millennium. I woke up with the scissors, cellotape, and bits of wrapping paper in bed with me. And both cats. Usually only one cat sleeps with me. They were not impressed with the mess.
*~*~*~*~*~*
I keep seeing this ad on the telly about this new medication--Stelara. It's for psoriasis. Ok so I get that psoriasis sucks. A friend of Mum's has it and although I've never seen any sign of it on him, he does complain about it a fair bit. But seriously. The list of side effects from this medication is OUTRAGEOUS. Aside from the militaristic slaughter that will apparently be wrought upon your immune system, it says right there in the commercial that Stelara "may cause cancer."
CANCER. A pill that might give you cancer. Are you people kidding?? I think I'd rather have flaky skin, thanks. And I thought the Restless Leg Syndrome™ meds were bad! But that only causes an uncontrollable impulse to gamble (how you can put that in a pill is beyond me). I know the US is a bit pill-happy, but I think we've gone too far when we start taking pills that cause cancer.


OMG what a freaking awesome book. I want.
ReplyDeleteWhat kind of recipes do they have in there?
I hate pills, I can't even take them. Haha I don't know how I'm going to live.
I'm sure after the holidays you'll get back on track :) A lot of people are in the same place as you
like me
but we can make it back :)
xx ♥
im with you on the side effects of pills - just ridiculous!
ReplyDeleteI now know what I am missing in my life- a Harry Potter Cookbook! How could I miss it? D:
ReplyDeleteSo... Cancer?
I'm addicted to pretty much all pills... sucks for me then..
Everybody screws up around the holidays, that's what News Years is for. XD
LoTR for the win! And I love the Monty Python reference ^.^ I was also trying to do a pre-Christmas starve-a-thon but I've been eating loads the past two days- now I'm just trying stop being lazy and get my rear to the gym -_-* Send me some ex-lax! I haven't had laxatives for weeks!! Anything pumpkin flavored is going to taste lovely and given your past culinary skills, I bet your baking will taste nice! I totally agree- some of the side effects for medicine sound worse than what the actual medicine is supposed to treat! For headaches the side effects usually include: drowsiness, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, and the occasional brain tumor along with some anal seepage. Lovely isn't it? :)
ReplyDelete<3
THAT is an adorable book!
ReplyDeleteand yes the us is pill crazy, but unfortunately i cant get in on the action due to russian parents who dont believe in pills. :P
stay lovely. <3
Erm you have adverts for medications in the US?!
ReplyDeleteIn the UK Seroquel is quetiapine which is an anti-depressant or mood stabaliser.
Also by 'may give cancer' one person in the trial probably developed cancer and they can't definitively rule out that it WASN'T the drug so they have to put it as a possible side effect.
Anyway...erm your blog is interesting as ever, and I want THAT BOOK! I want to give it to my harry potter obsessed friend...x
Wait one good goddamn minute: did you say Seroquel?? Ok, I understood that drug to be for schizophrenia, and bi polar, and for sleep if your doc doesn't want to give you ambien or xanax cuz you're an addict..... hmmm.... anyhoo, I have taken Seroquel. Years ago, because I was begging the doc for drugs (good ones) and he broke down and gave be seroquel. And ok, my SUPER bipolar friend took it for that... I took, 25 mg pills and broke them into QUARTERS because I was so paranoid. so what is that, 5.5 mgs??? and I could NOT wake up. I admit I'm a freak. But they gave that out in rehab if you whined about not being able to sleep, and then busted people if they kept nodding off in goup (AND we weren't allowed coffee....) Bipolar friend took like 50 or 60 mgs a day and it causes bad weight gain and diabetes so she got off it. schizophrenics are supposed to take around 500 mgs!--no wonder people in mental wards sit around in wheelchairs drooling! FUCK.
ReplyDeleteok, so none of that has anything to do with psoriasis right? I bet you a million bucks they found out by accident from some droolers that it helps.
I hate that drug
Omg I soooo want that book!! I´ve never seen it here =(
ReplyDeleteMy ex has a friend who has psoriasis and it causes her a lot of emotional pain but cancer is too much to gamble on a pill :/
Try not to worry too much abvout your weight this week, Xmas is made to make us fat haha(I rather laugh than cry xD)
xx
Sorry guys, not Seroquel--I meant Stelara! They do have ads for Seroquel for bipolar disorder, but I don't think it causes such a long list of problems like Stelara...
ReplyDeleteOMG!!! I So want that harry potter book!! It looks fab! :) I wouldn't worry about your weight, until after Xmas :( It's just a huge binge session really :( We are all feeling the same! xxx
ReplyDeleteI want that cookbook! Must find must find must find.
ReplyDeletemoving on....yea I'm eating like a hobbit too. Without staying hobbit-size. Meh. It's Christmas! I was good about once a day til this week. Oh well that's what New Years is for.
Kevin Bacon is a national treasure, duh. When I was a teen, a I had a boyfriend with whom I used to rent and watch Kevin Bacon movies in order to count the times we saw Kevin's Bacon (as we referred to his junk). The Hunt for Kevin Bacon's Bacon has driven me to see movies I would never have ever considered seeing otherwise. lol SO FUN.
ReplyDeleteYou're amazed that someone would voluntarily take Stelara which *may* cause cancer, but how many people do you know who smoke cigarettes? Yeah...maybe you should be a little less amazed. hahaha
What is it with you and bloody Kevin Bacon?! I can't think that it's anything but the pointy teeth!
ReplyDeleteFabulous cookbook, Doll! Much too good for sisters! Your baking list sounds to die for! Please post pics.
There are many things in life that scare me and the F.D.A. is one of them. Yikes!
Best of luck with the rest of your pre-christmas shinanigans and give the kitties a kiss from me. XXX. (Keep one for yourself!)
your posts never fail to amuse me. have fun baking love
ReplyDeletexx
hahaha i will give in with dignity! love it. i guess it's better to knowingly give in...less guilt that way :) that harry potter cook book sounds amazing and i must have it. the search starts tomorrow! probably not the best idea the day before christmas what with last minute shoppers running around..but hey :)
ReplyDeletexx
I would love to have more people to buy stuff for Christmas. I only have to buy gifts for my kid, MIL and FIL who are over 80 years old and dont need or want anything and a husband who decided we will not exchange gifts as I am very hard to please when it comes to gifts (I already told him anything Marc Jacobs is a very good gift). So I do not have the pleasure of Christmas shopping. Maybe I should start a service of helping helpless men to shop gifts.....
ReplyDeleteWhere did you get the Harry Potter cook book?! sounds amazing! Have fun baking tomorrow:)
ReplyDeleteIt's the holidays, we are allowed to go crazy during this time. After this there are no holidays that deal with food for along time! So dig in:D. I've already been indulging in sweets, the real food binge will begin on xmas.
The US is ridiculous. They try to fix everything with a pill, but the comical thing about it is they are hurting you more in the long run!! Whatever is the 'easy fix' for -right now- is the main objective and only concern to them & most people I guess. I think I'd much rather skip the cancer & keep the flaky/dry skin also:)
Have a lovely Christmas<3
By the way, I LOVE that picture of you with the lights! You are stunning and on top of being beautiful, you're freaking hilarious with your writing :) Anyway, my dear, I hope you are having a festive, stress and gain-free holiday. <3
ReplyDeleteo ur lucky that u have off i have to work of course
ReplyDeletehave fun baking hun
Please, please, please tell me if the recipe from the Harry Potter book works out! That is the most adorable thing I've ever seen and I must own it! I don't know how you resisted stealing that TOOL sweatshirt for yourself. The force must be exceedingly strong in you. Good luck with the Christmas food orgy, I know how hard it is to resist that cluster-fuck! Have a Merry Holiday!
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love you!
P.S: Plane rides are definitely their own circle of hell. Whenever we hit turbulence I always start resigning myself to death and vowing not to go out screaming like a little girl. Might as well die with some dignity.
P.p.s: what's one of your favorite serial killers? I love the L.A. Night Stalker!