Not enough people have seen Gregg Araki's movies.
That's from Nowhere. It's sort of like David Lynch, only full of teen angst and doing a lot more acid.
So I have a question for y'all. How do you count your food intake? I know some of you post it on your blogs, but what about the rest of you? I count the calories (EXACT--like I count and weigh pretty much everything that isn't precisely labeled with nutrition info). I also count the % of carbohydrates, and try to stay between 20-30% for the day. I tried to figure out how to count carbs properly, but there's too much math involved. I cannot do math. Like seriously--in high school I took Algebra 1 three times, and I only got those D's because I threatened the teachers into giving me passing grades.
So tell me how you gorgeous creatures organize your daily meals. I know I'm not the only one who's got a set routine--turkey bacon and coffee for breakfast, Dunkin cappuccino for lunch, and then either veggies or a Lean Cuisine for dinner. Every day. Except weekends when I eat the entire house.
I like staying at 800 calories or under. 1000 at the extreme most, but that is only for emergencies or special occasions. (I sound like my mom when she used to give me her credit card in high school haha) I keep a tally on an Excel spreadsheet where I enter everything in, no excuses, so I can compare to all my backlogs of days of intakes and see where things went well or wrong. I usually only eat things that have nutritional information, and if I do eat something that I don't know the calories of, I grossly overestimate so I don't slip up. But that's it. I don't count anything else besides the calories.
ReplyDeleteGenerally I just try to eat healthy, avoid carbs like the plague, and small portions of everything. I record the amounts all in my little purple diary and then I check online sites for estimated calorie content. If there is nutritional information on what I'm eating I will record the calories but I want to start recording the my fiber, protein, and fat intake as well. I try to stay under 400 calories.
ReplyDeleteI have to find and watch that movie now! And the picture you sent me was adorable!
I write down every calorie(always rounding up high) and then count it at the end of the day.
ReplyDeleteWhat I eat really depends on the day or week,when I´m not binging I stay under 500 cal but most days I get to 300 cals or less. When I binge...well, you know...
xx
Ah loved the clip:) It kept me wanting to watch more!
ReplyDeleteI used to count everything. Calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber... ? was ridiculous & way too time consuming. Lately I've just been counting calories. Although after my doctor visit today I am very freaked out about carbs...and I've always been freaked out about fat, but idk :/. Do you count your fat grams? Is so how many do you allow yourself a day?
I don't have a set routine, well not lately. Starve all day & eat a small/medium sized dinner? or apple, coffee, veggies. Depends.. it's been changing a lot this last month.
I do mine on an online calorie counter so it shows the % of carbs, protein and fat for me. Coz like you i am also crap at math. I weigh and measure some things but not others. Eg: i wont weigh an apple if it looks to be medium sized but i always have to measure oats, milk and pasta if have it. oh yeh and meat. I weight meat when i buy it and then put it in 100g bags to freeze it.
ReplyDeleteI'm also truly crap at math! In 10th grade, I ditched it for Ceramic Art! So glad I went to an art school!
ReplyDeleteI record my intake in a journal with the help of an Australian Women's Weekly pocket fat+carb counter, now sadly out of print. However, these types of books are readily available at your local bookshop. I got mine from a discount book store. (they buy out of prinf books and sell them super cheap!)
I buy groceries based on my food allergies. I'm trying to have a substantial breakfast (eggs and salad stuff/veg) 200 cals. or less, skip lunch and have a light dinner of braised/grilled meat and 1 or 2 steamed veg. No more than 300 cals.
Hope this helps. XXX.
I use livestrong.com
ReplyDeletexo
i hate counting calories, because:(1) i can't be 100% sure that it's accurate (2) i don't want to mind always about numbers.
ReplyDeletei try eating healthy and finish when i feel i'm full.
i'm at my best when i'm not home cause then i don't think about food and eat only when i need to.
i wish i had a routine, but there are so many foods i like that are healthy and low cal that i can eat. but then again, its the choice that makes me eat all of it. this talking to myself has made me realize that perhaps a food routine would be better for me. hmm. interesting.
ReplyDeletethank you.
but i love math, i dont know why, but i do.
and so counting is easy for me.
stay lovely. <3
I suck at the maffs. All my safe foods are the pre-measured things like cup a soups abd south beach bars and my little drink mix packets and the scoops that come with my protein powders. I also have a cup that has a line at exactly 8oz. And I get pissy when my cup is missing.
ReplyDeleteI just put the cal and/or carb count in a note on my phone. Cals get counted before bed. Carbs get looked at everytime I eat tho, if I'm trying for the lowcarb thing.
Unmeasured stuff makes me nervous so I overestimate.
I go through phases. I go back and force between weighing out and calculating and adding up every single thing I eat, and times when I can't do that so I just eat asian food.
ReplyDeleteUsually I get crazy about the weighing when I'm trying new recipes, I love to cook, and I love those rare rare moments when you're enjoying the food for a split second and not thinking about it all mashing up in your stomach.
I live in a tiny house with my mum and we're kinda close so I can't obsess about things infront of her too much or she'll notice. But foods always been my enemy, and then this year I found out I have a hormonal condition (polycystic ovaries) which basically is kinda like diabetes except, my body doesn't know what to do with any sugar I eat (insulin resistance) so it just turns. it. all. to. fat.
So I avoid sugar like the plague, and because carbs are turned INTO sugar the only carbs I eat are 1/2 or 1/3 portions of rice or egg noodles.
And I only eat asian food lol, mainly asian broths with tons of veg to fill me up without feeling fat.
I hope that wasn't too much!
Well, let's see, I either post my intake on my blog & I have a food journal. Sometimes blog is actually safer than a journal aroudn the house ^.^. I just count calories but Lord knows I should be counting fat & carbs too, but I never know how many fat & carbs I should be having (and like you, I suck at math!). I don't do the whole "negative calorie" thing because that makes me feel likw I'm cheating. I would weight and measure EVERYTHING if I had a food scale, so I just measure things out if they don't have the nutrition label on them =). Now that I think about it, I need to be WAY more precise with my measurements becuase if I'm not careful, I could be eating way more calories than I think!
ReplyDelete<3
I use this website:
ReplyDeletehttp://caloriecount.about.com/
But I've been trying to convince myself to put the effort into using this one so I can track more to make sure I'm getting the most nutrients for the least amount of calories.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/
We're pretty poor (being that I'm a student and Greg is underpaid...) so we eat a LOT of brown rice and lentils/chickpeas etc. These things I eat in 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup servings (depending on how hungry I am) and they tend to keep me filled up for a while. We tend not to eat or buy processed foods so I don't really count that carefully. I know what the caloric value of most of the things I eat are, and I think about the numbers as I put food into my mouth.... that being said I will never sacrifice nutrition for lower calories. I feel like I need to at least give my body good fuel if I'm going to be denying it the portions it wants. So I don't really count carbs, fats, sugars... (how much sugar is in cabbage? I don't care lol)
ReplyDeleteThat all being said, I can stay under 800 easily on my own without writing it down, but when I get into super restrict mode, I write it down as I go, and get reeeeeeeally picky on what I eat. Mostly spinach (25cal / 3 cups!) and cabbage (15 cal / 1 cup).
I count the exact calories of everything including liquids and fruit and veg. I try to stay 300-600 calories or less... xxx
ReplyDeleteHello I am from Pretty Thin and thought id support everyone by following there blog and hearing each individuals story!! i hope you enjoy my blog and follow as well =)
ReplyDeletehttp://bree-mayfield-2011.blogspot.com/
“Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.”
Calorie counting! No fast food, fried food, bread, cheese, or sweets allowed. Mostly fruits/veggies, with small portions of whole grain cereal, brown rice, beans, nuts, or quinoa for energy and protein. I don't really look at "healthy" fats; they keep me from being crazy-go-nuts and I AM already counting the cals.
ReplyDeleteEvery January, I buy a daily planner with monthly and weekly calenders. I record my calorie intake, along with my exercise.
ReplyDeleteI try to keep my protein intake at about 35-40% and keep my carbs under 30%, but when I binge that all goes to shit.
And I weigh everything too, down to the very last gram. My parents find it extremely irritating.
I haven't seen any Gregg Araki movies, but they sound awesome by your description. I love David Lynch. I couldn't get the clip to load, so I'll have to check him out. What's your favorite movie he made?
ReplyDeleteI have fallen off the horse lately, but when I'm completely on, I have a diary in which I write everything I consume in the exact amounts with the calories, fat, and carbs listed. I try to keep it as low as humanly possible. Of course, lately, that hasn't been the case. :(
I cannot count calories accurately to save my life. I try to keep a ballpark so as to avoid going over 800.
ReplyDeleteI make rules. I do not eat at work, when a stranger or celebrity is in the room, after 7 p.m., before road trips or flights, before shows, when I'm alone, etc. I will eat small portions in the company of friends and family to keep up appearances. I will not eat flesh. The only person I will binge in front of is my husband because it disgusts him and he will stop me before I go too far.
finals should be going better, but i suck at studying. so i hope my grades dont go down because i havent seen the grades yet.
ReplyDeleteand yes tomorrow will be absolutely fantastic when im done at 1130. :D
im getting ahead of myself.... must. study.
<3
well sincei have been sucking latey i havent really been coutning cals just been eating and buring off as much as i can while walking around at work
ReplyDeletebut when im in deep into my ed i count everything and way it and have a plan that i sitck too