Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Recipe time!

First a few comment replies, because I'm bad at that. I have ADD. -_-

Sottile, I'm flattered you read the whole blog from the beginning! I apologize, as I'm sure lots of it is just mindless drivel. I did try to read everyone's blogs all the way through, but I'm following too many. :( Alas, there are not enough hours in the day!

And thanks for the poem love, ladies! I was nervous about putting it there, but it's the only halfway decent poem I've ever written...

Tracy, your warning about the glowing in the dark of the book came a bit too late. I got up to go to the loo at like 2.30 in the morning, looked down to find my slippers, and nearly died. That book is AWESOME, though, so thanks again for the recommendation!

LovelyBones asked how tall I am - only 5' 1", so even at 99 I'll still look normal I think.

Little One has a new blog - y'all should read it. :D

And for everyone who's having trouble with hitting a plateau, Starving Artist posted a great link: 5 Ways to Break a Weight Loss Plateau. I seem to have hit a nasty one - I've been sitting at 100 lbs for feckin ages.

Okay, recipe time. I made spaghetti squash and meatballs for dinner. I'm sure you can find a proper recipe for this, but I just got the idea and winged it.

You will need:
- 1 lb ground turkey (it was actually 1 lb 5 oz, I weighed it), 630 cals for whole 21 oz
- Tomato sauce (I just used Prego), 70 cals per 1/2 cup
- 1 slice bread (normally I would have used a low fat one, but we only had some fancy Italian bread that was a few days old), estimated 150 cals based on the nutrition label
- ketchup (I ended up using 3 tablespoons), 45 cals
- Worcestershire sauce (I used 3 tsp), 15 cals
- spaghetti squash (I used 2 medium-sized ones), between 40 and 50 cals per cup
- 1/2 small onion (minced with the Slap Chop), ~30 cals
- garlic salt, pepper, basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and marjoram
- 2/3 cup beef broth (you can use any kind of broth), 10 cals

Put the Prego in a crock pot and turn it on high. If you don't have a crock pot, just heat the Prego sauce in a big pot and let it simmer on medium-low heat. Soak the bread in broth for like 15 minutes. In a big bowl, combine the meat, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, minced onion, and soggy bread (squeeze a lot of the broth out) and mixed it up real nice (wash your hands first!). Then fling in the salt, pepper, and herbs until it smells nice. Next, make the meat combo into balls roughly 1 1/2 inches across. It made a total of 30 meatballs when I did it.

In a skillet on medium heat, quickly brown the meatballs just to sear the flavor in. Then put them in to cook in the Prego sauce. Leave that cooking in the crock pot or simmering in a regular pot on the stove for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (Check it after 1 1/2 and test one.)

For the squash, cut it in half and scrape out the seeds and stringy bits, then bung it in the oven on 400 degrees Fahrenheit (~205 degrees centigrade). Let it cook for like an hour, then poke it with a fork. Use your best judgement to decide if it's soft enough. I left them in for like 1 hour and 20 minutes. After you take it out, let it cool a bit, and then use a fork to scrape the insides out into a bowl - it comes out like spaghetti. Serve it with the meatballs and sauce.

If I had used low cal bread, 1 meatball = 26 calories.

Yum:







11 comments:

  1. Yummy! i adore spagetti squash, have never used it as a substitute for noodles, i don't think my "boys" would go for it, but i sure would! :)

    Bad book, for spooking you...as i said, it did the same thing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're still a skinny little thing, even at 5'1! Thanks for giving us so many goodies in once post haha, links to break out plateaus and a recipe to enjoy all at the same time. I miss having a kitchen to cook in.. for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, me Darlin'!
    I'm really bummed we don't have spaghetti squash here, it looks wicked! I love to substitute veg for pasta too, probably because I'm gluten-sensitive. My speciality is aubergine lasagne. Extra lean meat and low fat cheese sauce made with pecorino cheese. Hard cheeses are naturally lower in fat. I also add heaps of basil. So tasty!

    I agree, the poem at the top is great! Nice work, M.!

    I know I've said this before, but your kiki-maow-maows really are beautiful! Give them a kiss from me. X.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I would love to try that.. I've never been much of a cooker D:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for recipies. Looks really yummy. I'll have to try it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, thanks for sharing, lovely!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're probably going to hate me for saying this (like everyone else who I say this to whenever they're eating meatball type food) but have you seen the film Willow? And the bit where Willow is on the bridge fighting the trolls? And they turn into these ball things??
    Meatballs remind me of those..

    I looked El Topo up on imdb, and clicked on the 'Plot Keywords' bit. I must say, that there list makes me want to see it!

    And no, not 26, but 25 this year. I think it's mostly a numerical thing: I just don't like the number 25. I feel fine about turning 26 and 27 - I'm quite looking forward to that! Strange.

    I feel a bit awkward saying this, but please be careful with your body. You really don't need to loose any weight. Just be careful, ok??

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're about the same height, I'm an inch shorter, so I know you'll look normal at 99, I've hit it before without anyone giving me a second glance.. but that might just be because I'm invisible anyways. I thought I looked normal xD for all that’s worth..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! Good luck with this! Fingers crossed for the end of a horrible plateau! :)

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.