Monday, May 2, 2011

A whale of a tale and it's all true; I swear by my tattoo.

Am I the only one who is slightly disturbed by this whole bin Laden thing?

I got a sales call this morning at work--some bargain basement health insurance company trying to sell us a new insurance plan. The woman who called, right before she hung up, said "We finally got him! God bless America."

I managed to mumble something like: "....ummm..."

But thankfully she hung up, so I was saved from having to comment. 

I dunno. I'm really not that knowledgeable about the whole situation with Pakistan and Afghanistan and Iraq and the War On Terror™, so I should probably just shut up, but I do know that I am not ok with this. Something about these news reports of bin Laden's death and people celebrating outside the White House and waving flags and chanting at the Twin Towers site just rubs me the wrong way. A nagging feeling that won't go away, like when you leave the house and you're almost certain you left the back door unlocked...

It goes back to when those planes crashed into the towers. At 17, I knew even less about the politics of the whole situation, but I had the same nagging feeling when I heard about the subsequent invasion of Iraq (because when one country attacks you, it makes perfect sense to attack their neighbours?) and the hunt for Osama bin Laden "DEAD OR ALIVE!!" I'm not sure what it was, but I do know that it felt like something was missing. Some crucial piece of the whole that left me feeling like all the stories they put on the news didn't add up. 

Forgive me if I sound unpatriotic. I don't think bin Laden was the one and only criminal mastermind behind 9/11 (umm, duh?). And I don't think him being dead changes anything. 

In more pertinent news:
- My house has been invaded by ants.

- I have acquired a new My Little Pony--a gorgeous little lad named Ice Crystal
Methinks there may be a romance blooming with Sugar Apple....

- I am fat.

Liquid fasting today and tomorrow, and possibly Wednesday. One of my old rules is that for each day of bingeing I had on the weekend (2 days this past weekend, Friday and Sunday), I must liquid fast (>200 cals) for one day. But since today is a writing workshop day, I would normally liquid fast anyway because I don't get to go to the gym; so for that I might add an extra day and fast until Thursday morning. 
Mum knows what she's doing, despite her "oh I just thought I'd get you a little treat" excuses. Every mothereffing time she does the food shopping, she comes home with a family size box of Cocoa Pebbles.

It's a silent battle of wills. She knows I don't eat enough, but she doesn't know what to say or do about it. (Our family is like this with everything that could be potentially scandalous, or involving any kind of mental health issue--we don't talk about it.) So in an attempt to get me to eat, she sneaks gateway foods into the cupboards. I managed to resist the Cocoa Pebbles on Saturday, but caved last night. I had 2 bowls (go me! not the whole box!). Then this morning, after Mum left for work, I took the box outside and dumped the rest of the cereal out in the woods behind the shed.

My neighbours must think I am a complete loony. I'm not really bothered if anyone sees me being crazy or whatever, and I am at my most uncensored when I'm at home. Over the years, the neighbours have seen me frequently leaving the driveway only to do a circle in the cul-de-sac and go straight back into the driveway again (because I have to go back and make sure I didn't leave the doors unlocked/windows open/stove on/tumble dryer door open/etc.); wandering round my bedroom completely nude with the blinds open (I don't like them closed--I get claustrophobic); attempting to garden 
I like to think that I'm Really Into Gardening, but that doesn't go so well when you have an epic worm-phobia

that leads to frantic vomiting, usually into the neighbour's yard.

And of course, there's the dumping of food out behind the shed onto what is very obviously not a compost heap.

The raccoons have apparently cottoned on to the fact that someone in my house is the source of the food pile behind the shed. Daisy the fat cat had a spastic freak-out last night when she espied a raccoon knocking on the back door. (It was super cute--it had its hands up against the glass and was peering into the kitchen.) Daisy was kind of cute too, puffed up to 3 times her usual size

and attacking the glass, then tearing around the house and knocking things over, freaking out Callisto,

 and freaking out Mum,

 before she finally ran out of energy and collapsed.

One of the many reasons that cats are superior to dogs. :D

22 comments:

  1. Hmm... Cat shenanigans, new ponies and romping around your room in the nick? Sounds like jolly good craic indeed! It's all go, innit?!

    I'm with you on the Bin Laden saga, I actually don't think he even existed. (Conspiracy!) You're right, it does leave a very bad taste in the mouth.

    Good luck with your fast. I also chuck food on the compost heap! The little creatures need feeding too, you know!

    Thanks for your comment, I really needed it. Love you, too, M.! <3. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made me laugh! thank you. Good luck with your liquid fast! much love and be strong. Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you put vlogs before so now I can imagine your voice saying "cats are superior to dogs" and it is more delightful.

    I will keep my comments regarding the "bin laden thing" to myself. You are not the only one who gets a bad feeling from it. But I DON'T get a bad feeling from it. I'm hateful towards the mo-fo and I'm glad. I AM a hippy, but I do reserve hatred for some bads.... KAY I said I was gonna keep it to myself so I'll quit. starting, NOW!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm with you on the Bin Laden thing...i'm not even sure it's him...but then, i'm not even sure that "they" caught Sadaam Hussein way back when. "Something" tells me it's just a ploy to get everybody feeling all Hippy-Hoppy- Pro-War...bleh. >:(

    Love, love, love your backyard -junk -food -dumping -racoon- and -freaking- out- kitty stories and pictures...!!! Far Out!!! (Hello John Denver!)

    So, here i am at Parents Place...it's sad...and hubby actually had the (Charles de) galle to say i was probably having fun. Shesh.

    Love you, Bunny Face,

    "Oh my little Bunny Face, my teeny beeny cuddley thing...."

    ReplyDelete
  5. nobody in their right mind should get me started on Bin Laden.

    hmm...be careful and hope your week goes spiffingly ;] X

    ReplyDelete
  6. As soon as I have the ability to, I'm posting a very factful post on what I KNOW about 9/11, Al Qaeda, and Bin Laden. I was in the 4th grade when it happened, but my mom worked really way up there in exports at DHL. Like she was beneath the president and was paid very well. Well I have firsthand information that what everyone has been told is indeed not even close to the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i dont think killing him is gonna slove nething yeah he desrved it for 9/11 but killing him is just gonna cuause more attacks on us thats what im thinking they are gonna reatlilte and the war will never end and itjust needs to end al ready

    and ur not crazy trust me an dmy mom does the same thing to me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed. I don't know what to think about the Bin Laden things either. It's... strange. It seems wrong to be happy about killing somebody. Not that I want him plotting mischief either, homeboy is a psychopath for sure...

    It just seems like something that had to be done. Like wiping after going potty. It doesn't warrant an applause or a waving flag.

    <3 your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, one of the perks to moving into my apartment recently: I specifically told Z (guy roommate/good friend) that I would have one and only one cabinet in the kitchen for my food, and that I shall forever be banned from any and all food in any of his other cabinets.

    But... when I do go home to visit, my mom does the same exact thing to me. It's awful, I know. But good for you for getting rid of the rest of the cereal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thing 1: Love that song in your post title. Reminds me childhood car trips with the disney sing a long tape.

    Thing 2: I feel like there are two layers of people in this country when it comes to Bin Laden.
    Layer 1: Crazy redneck A-muricans who are celebrating to no end.
    Layer 2: People who get that somebody DIED. There's a lot more here. And it's sad.

    Thing 3: Chocolate banana shake was frozen banana+coconut+cocoa powder+sweetener. Unfortunately it was a little too much for the magic bullet, and tasted a little gritty. Should've use a blender haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you on the Osama bin Laden thing for sure. He is one man, killing him didn't stop all the evil in the world.
    You are NOT fat. I am fat. I wish I was as skinny as you. Good luck/be safe with the fast!
    Ewww worms are disgusting! They don't make me puke but they do freak me out. The way they move is disgustingggg.
    Oooh you know what's cuter than a racoon? An armadillo!! Apparently we have them where I live. I've only seen dead ones on the side of the road but yeah. CRAZY :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't get the bin laden rahrah-ing either. He didn't invent terrorism and it won't stop with him gone. I bet the terrorists are using pics of a-murican partying as further "proof" that we all need to die. Blah.
    Racoons are so cuuuuuuute! Annoying the way they would figure out how to get into the camping gear and food back when I actually went camping.
    But still cuuuuute. When they got into the dog food they actually washedd each kernel in the dog's water bowl!
    .our dog wasn't so amused tho xD

    Love the cartoons. How long does it take you to make them?

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother is a saboteur as well. She'll often bring me things like a personal size chocolate cake, and recently not one, but two breakfasts! but I think for her it's more about trying to live vicariously through me since she doesn't allow herself any of the foods she'll bring me (she has recently developed pretend allergies that keep her from eating carbs (wheat) and dairy)
    You should really compile your illustrations into a book, they're so fucking great I laugh every time.
    Has anyone ever found your food pile? I am always crazy sneaky when I throw food away so no one can find it, because that would suck! I'd be sooo paranoid having a food pile laying around, but at least the raccoons dispose of the evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg.

    I had to remove all Bin Laden related posts from my FB newsfeed because it was freaking me the fuck out how completely murderous people are at heart, and how nationalism has otherwise kind/intelligent people convinced that America can do no wrong, ever, and anyone who thinks differently is a terrorist and deserves to get bombed back to the stone age.

    It...makes me feel queasy. So I'm electing to ignore all of it until it dissipates.

    Also. I love the cat + raccoon picture. I feel that it shall be my cell phone wallpaper.

    However, I'm disappointed that the walking around naked with the blinds up was not illustrated. hahaha

    P.S.

    I hate to break it to you, but I think Ice Crystal might be gay. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the cat story made me look at my dog and go "Why aren't you exciting?" no joke, I only managed to get him to start barking last year. I like soaking cereal in the toilet and flushing it down. BYEBYE F*CK*R
    Americans freak me out when they get all "AMERICA IS THE BEST SAY OTHERWISE AND YOU DIE" too

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bin laden, the terror war, it's all so media-edited. Killing bin laden isn't going to change anything and condemning whole countries because of the actions of a few extremists doesn't seem right to me. Also, the they knew there were no weapons of mass destruction anywhere before they invaded where ever, but the US still went for the oil and the UK went because Tony Blair bums Goethe bush. It's all morally wrong. And no ones dead should be celebrated like bin ladens.
    My mum does the same with the food :(
    Good luck liquid fasting!
    Sorry for the long-ass post :P
    Lottie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahaha, I have just read the book 'Stuff' which your My Little Ponies are standing on! It was fascinating. I showed it to my mum, and she went off and bought a copy and then read it twice in a row. She's a bit of a hoarder so I think she found it comforting to read about people who are worse than her. I'm also a bit of a hoarder, and it made me feel like my collecting is perfectly acceptable because it is not as bad as the examples in the book. So when my mum felt inspired to try and get rid of some stuff I told her I wanted it.

    By the way, I love your paint drawings. They make me laugh, even when I'm sitting in a public computer lab, like I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know much about politics or the war on terror thing either, but when I heard the news, I was happy- but then another part of me is in denial. Like, something doesn't add up, is this guy really dead? I think his friends are going to come seek revenge on us or something. Hmm...

    Good luck on your liquid fasting dearie! I like that rule- for every day of binging, one must compensate by fasting. I think I might "borrow" that rule and apply it to myself. We'll be fasting togeher! :D You have Cocoa pebbles, I have chocolate. Mom buys me chocolate sometimes even when I tell her not to because to hear her say it, "A little bit doesn't hurt." Bull crap it doesn't, because I have that "little bit" and then I end up eating it all. But that's great you were able to get rid of the rest! Now you won't be tempted to eat them all and your mom will think you've finished off the box already!

    I bet my neighbors back home before I lef thought I was loony if they ever saw me chuck food out the window. I lived in an aparment complex and there was woods behind it- I would always aim for the woods as best I could. If anyone asked, I had an excuse already planned out: "I was feeding the birds!" Well, at least you've made good friends with the neighborhood raccoons! Hopefully they won't start swarming your home in a month or so...

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm Australian and don't even play attention to my own counrtys political THINGS, never mind anyone elses. but i think that people would feel that the dealth of Bin Lardin as a beginning to an end.
    i love your cartoons, they serious make me giggle.
    i need a liquid fast, shit i need a liquid life.
    take care darl.X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! Return of the pictures, epic as ever!
    I agree about the Bin Laden thing...it doesn't mean you (or I given London was bombed too) are unpatriotic, it means we are human, that we are pained by any loss of life.
    Hey, I cried when I saw Saddam Hussein hung on TV, I thought it was horrific and took us back to the 19th century when we last had public executions. But there is always hope that humanity will move on, even if it isn't reality.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cats are furry little people, with personalities that are far more complex than any dog I have ever met.

    They're also magical, and they can teleport. Cats are probably far superior to 97% of all animals that currently exist.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I TOTALLY agree about the Bin Laden thing. It's so fucking jingoistic! He's the big bad wolf, the thing we project our fears onto because the actual situation over there would require, um, ACTUAL COMPLEX THOUGHT. :P

    I'm totally going to copy your 1 day binge = 1 day fast rule. <3

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.