I had a PTSD moment yesterday afternoon, in the A&P. There I was, just doing a spot of grocery shopping on my lunch break, when suddenly I saw It turn down the soda aisle and walk in my direction.
I froze. Involuntarily balled my hands into fists and tucked them under my ribs (to hide my palms). I could not blink. I could not breathe. I began to break out in a cold sweat. I wanted to run, but I was frozen, rooted to the spot; and it kept coming closer, and closer, and closer...
...
There was a NUN in the soda aisle.
This is a perfect example of how one bad egg can ruin things for everybody else. In my long and infuriating Catholic school education, I encountered a number of perfectly pleasant nuns. Sister Linda--high school religion teacher--was practically a saint. Despite the beard, she always had lovely kind words for everyone. Just one of those genuinely good and nice people.
Sister Clara, however, was another story. Sister Clara is the reason I go into panic mode when I see a nun. I still have nightmares about her--horrible dreams in which I am forced to go back to that hellhole of a grade school and Sister Clara is always there, with her silver rosary and her wooden ruler.
Sister Clara is the embodiment of every horror you ever believed about the Catholic Church.
(That picture doesn't even do her justice, but it was the best of several attempts at catching her Evil essence.)
In my grade school (where I suffered from kindergarten through eight grade--that's NINE years), we didn't actually have any teachers who were nuns or priests, but instead the nuns and priests would just show up a couple times a week and talk to our class, or lecture us, or perhaps try and start a Jesus-themed discussion. And of course there was the "sex ed" session in sixth grade with Sisters Clara and Mary (I've blocked most of that out). Most of these priests and nuns were fine; some of them were even very nice. Father Carl, who was around 375 years old, used to bring us all sorts of fun goodies and souvenirs from his trips to the Vatican.
But Sister Clara was just downright evil. She looked like a troll--short and squat and rather wide, iron-grey hair sticking out of her veil, and with a face that always appeared furious. She had one of those heavy wooden crosses hanging from her belt and would swing it back and forth while she walked like some sort demented holy jailer. She had a set of silver rosary beads that she would fondle, gazing at us children menacingly as though she would like nothing more than to throttle us with those beads. And she always had the wooden ruler. One of those old heavy ones with the bit of metal running through the middle (for making straighter lines, and inflicting maximum pain).
Sure she wasn't legally allowed to hit us, but that never stopped her. She had perfected using the ruler in such a way that it did not leave a mark. And of course no parent would believe that a nun would hit innocent children. Most of us were too afraid to tell our parents, but those few who did either got the "I don't believe you" response; or their parents told them that if a nun hit them, then they probably deserved it. One of her favorites was whacking the girls on the thigh if she caught us sitting with our legs crossed (like whores) instead of with our feet crossed at the ankles (like ladies).
Sister Clara liked to yell and scream at us children, telling us that we were all sinners and that even if you THINK bad things it's a sin, and God is watching you and listening to you all the time, and He can even read your mind, so there's absolutely no escaping. She liked to remind us that were all going to burn in Hell in everlasting fire because we were all such horrible, nasty little children. Imagine hearing all that at the tender age of eight, spewing from the mouth of an evil troll-nun.
One incident in particular sticks out in my mind. This one time in fifth grade, when we were all about 10 years old, Sister Clara was having a particularly difficult time with my class (we were not very well-behaved even at the best of times). She decided to march us down a dark and little-used hallway to an unused classroom, where she shut and locked the door, and made us all line up against the wall. She raged and screamed at us for what felt like a very long time, and then she told us to hold out our hands. She went down the line of children, giving each of us a good wallop with her trusty ruler.
Scarred for life.


YAY!!! Thank you so much, Michie. Can't wait to get that package!
ReplyDeleteI've been crocheting Irish roses and thinking of you. Hope your fast is still going well.
"In Catholic school as vicious as Roman Rule..." - Deathcab For Cutie. http://www.lyricstime.com/death-cab-for-cutie-i-will-follow-you-into-the-dark-lyrics.html Amanda Palmer's version is deeply cool!
I really hope cunty Sister Clara's tits rot off! Better yet, hope they stick her in a Protestant retirement home! Ha!
All my love. <3. XXX.
Crazy Nuns AHHHHHHHH! I love your stories though, sorry for the soda aisle anxiety though! x
ReplyDeleteHehehe.... sorry about the PTSD moment. You crack me up!
ReplyDeleteAnxiously awaiting my card! I pulled out all my craft supplies last night (tweaking... ) and was blindsided with inspiration.
ReplyDeleteWhy do parents do this shit to children? You are afraid of nuns, I am afraid of raisins. My parents sent me to a hippie school. Always. Forcing. Raisins.
well, now do you cross your legs like a whore or a lady?
ReplyDeleteFreakishly, the security word I had to type in was "childhaven".
ReplyDelete"...if you even THINK bad things, it's a SIN". Wow, Mormon Church PTSD flash back...In Senior year, that's when they started hammering (Ha!) that in our heads. "And when you die, all of your thoughts will be 'shouted from the mountian tops' ". That's about when i started to go crazy too. Thanks alot guys. i wonder why i left that Church... Sorry. Bit of a rave there.
ReplyDeleteSo looking forward to the cards...should they be done in marker or colored pencils? So many questions!
Thank you!
Ha, ha verification "primm"
Oh man...pscho nuns...I would be scarred (and scared) for life too! Good luck with the fast girl!
ReplyDeletepsycho***
ReplyDeleteThat's terrifying, eeek. From kindergarten to third grade I was taught by nuns. None of them like that, though! The principal, Sister Bride, would not let me leave the cafeteria until I finished everything on my lunch tray. That's about as scary as it got.
ReplyDeleteGood god that nun sounds like one psychotic bitch. Although something traumatic must have happened to her to make her become the nun from hell, not that that gives her license to traumatized innocent children. I'm going to email you my address for a tarot card now that I'm in class and have access to a computer.
ReplyDeleteJust thought I'd share this with you. My housemate, Brent bought this book. It made me think of you. I'm sure you've heard of this guy. He's a Seattle-ite!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.bromart.com/
Great job with the fast! I commend you for surviving 9 years of that hell. Apparently, nuns CAN be evil! I think Sister Clara hates kids...why on earth would she want to teach school?! She locked the class in a room while beating you all? Goodness, that would make for a great scene in a horror movie! No wonder you're scarred!
ReplyDeletei sent you my information if you would like to send me a package, no hurry though. haha.
ReplyDeleteif i saw a nun at the supermarket i would probably just start laughing... but then again, im really iffy with religious type things.
im sorry youve been scarred by sister clara. haha.
stay lovely. <3
wow id have panic attacks as welll i fi went thru that
ReplyDeleteO my god.
ReplyDeleteSister Clara is a bitch. (excuse my language) sounds horrific! Reminds me of Principal Trunchbull on the movie Matilda :/ I was always so scared of that lady. This description of Sister Clara reminds me of her in a way! So scary!
I want a tarot card:) will send you my information soon!
Thank you for sending out my card :]
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to say this, but I seriously lol when I read your posts. Your sarcasm is so unexpected sometimes, and I love your paintings :]
That is awful though. I always thought the whole "whacked on your knuckles by a nun" thing wasn't real. She sounds like one scary mofo.
lol you're hilarious. i'd like a card, do you paint them or colour them in? i have to wait until next week though when i get an address, so when i time comes i hope you still have one for me :) - wouldn't mind the star if you still have it
ReplyDeletex
Oh, my gosh. That sounds awful! No wonder you have such a bad reaction to nuns!
ReplyDeleteBe careful and good luck with your fast. Don't you just hate those moments where you look in the mirror and wish you could crawl out of your skin you look so huge? Those days suck :(
Geez, so glad my parents didn't decide to put me in the Catholic school! Oh the horror! But it does make for some funny stories, as only you can tell and illustrate them :)
ReplyDeleteI NEED to do a fast. Hopefully I can get away with one before I go back to school in a week and a half. I have moments like you had about everyday, where I catch sight of myself in the mirror and realize how horrifying I look at the moment. I think I really outdid myself this holiday season :/
Stay strong xoxo
I hate them too, my second grade teacher was a nun and she is the reason I was in 'special' classes until highschool.. I'm not terrified of them, I have to walk away though, or I'm afraid I will punch one. I nearly did last year..
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to get my cards! Is the 'goodie' something I need to worry about parents seeing though?
Can I gets a tarot? I know all decks are different so send me whatever :) I guess I'll send you my info both ways I know how :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on 24 hours!
For the nun...BURN THE WITCH!!!!!!!!
Dayum. Sister Clara's a nasty bitch :(
ReplyDeleteEeks! Definitely a flashback to Trunchbull, tho I never saw the movie so I'm thinking of the book. One of the kiddie books I wanted to keep. Funny how I haven't seen it since moving into my current house several years ago.
ReplyDeleteI gotta check my email now :)
It took me a couple weeks, but I've finally made it through your entire blog!
ReplyDeleteWe're very much alike, you and I. I enjoy your writings very much and those MS paint pictures bring tears of laughter to my eyes!!
yeah i thought lolita was a weird too. choose one, i'll be very intestered in to see which one you pic ;)
ReplyDeletei'll email you my address tonight
You are seriously hilarious. I love the way you tell your stories.
ReplyDelete