Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Spring time, the only pretty ring time, hey ding..... a ding a ding...


 I am now going to complain like a spoiled little rich girl. 

I debated posting this. I might have been a pampered child back in the day when Mum and Dad both had really awesome jobs, but I was still taught good etiquette. That's the difference between Spoiled and Brat. 

But sometimes lots of petty, stupid things start to pile up and get me t'ed off. In real life, I do not voice these complaints because I know I'm being a spoiled obsessive compulsive efftard and it would be best if just kept my mouth shut. 

Take every other Thursday, for example. Betty, Mum's cleaning lady, comes to clean the house 2 Thursdays a month because both Mum and Little Sis are too lazy to do it themselves, and I'm not going to clean up after myself and 2 other people just because they're such pansies they can't even work the hoover.

>:(
....
.......where was I? Oh yes, Betty. I don't think we need a cleaning lady, mainly because we don't have any money. I do adore Betty--she's teaching me Portuguese and if I happen to be home when she's there, I make her coffee (she totally loves Cinnamon's South African coffee btw!), and I help Betty clean and change everyone's sheets and do laundry so she can leave earlier. 

Since I work 9 - 5 all week, I usually only see Betty for like an hour in the morning. She changes all the bedding after I leave. It's totally awesome coming home to the bed made (I hardly ever have time to do it in the morning so it's a mess during the week--pretty much like a nest).

But she effs up my blankets and mattress. And when you have OCD tendencies, that sort of thing is enough to cause a grand mal obsessive compulsive seizure. 


I've got a memory foam mattress topper on my bed, and it's extremely awkward. (BUT SO TOTALLY WORTH IT.) It's not quite as big as the mattress, so you need to secure it at the headboard or you end up with a big gap between the memory foam and the mattress, and when you sleep your face will end up wedged in the gap and it sucks. My comforter is kind of awkward too,  because it tends to get all tangled up in the duvet cover. 

These things make me MANIACAL, so I go to great lengths--using safety pins, which fix everything--to make sure that the mattress stays where it should be, and the comforter doesn't turn into a nonfunctional blob.

Certain Things need to be in Certain Places, and Operating According to Plan or I will start killing people.

It takes effing AGES to fix the comforter when it gets all wonky in the duvet cover. And in order to properly fix the memory foam thing, you need to pretty much disembowel my bed because of all the pillows and blankets and the canopy thing getting in the way.

So every other Thursday evening I come home to my nice made bed, and once I get a better look at the state of the mattress and comforter, I have an electrical storm somewhere in my orbitofrontal cortex. 

But as I said before, I am well aware of how ridiculous I am. I take a deep breath, and deal with it. Because it's really not a reason to complain. Someone comes to my house and puts clean sheets on my bed and hoovers my floor; and I don't have to pay for it. That's f**king awesome. So DUH, I'm not going to complain just because my comforter is a little messed up. 

I still think it, though. Even if it's only for a split second, that Thought still formed. And I feel like that makes me an arsehole. Like what Sister Clara always told us in grade school--even if you THINK bad things, you are a SINNER and you are going to BURN. 

OCD is so fun, right? ?

-____-

It gets worse as I get older. And I think it's kind of funny that Mum and Little Sis are so used to my madness by now, that they don't even question me. The opposite in fact--I'm slowly training them to cater to my compulsions. 

Take the dishwasher, for example. 

Dishwashers are the fruit of the gods. You put the dirty dishes in it, you put the soap in it, and push a button. You don't have to sit there with your gloves and fairy liquid and a sink full of gross water. You don't have to do ANYTHING. 

Except load the dishwasher Properly. 

The dishwasher in my house is like an outpost of the third reich. 

There is a REASON for this--I'm not just doing it for fun. If you Load the Dishwasher Properly, you can fit the maximum number of dishes in it, and have a far easier time  emptying it when everything is clean. 

The other members of my household do not share my wisdom. They'll just fling the dirty dishes anywhere and make a huge mess of the dishwasher, and then we end up having to run it two or three times more often. 

The dishes MUST be segregated. 

So I rearrange everything Properly. I tried being stealth in the beginning, but Mum always catches me. (She likes to make fun of me for this.)

After years of this, however, Mum and Little Sis have started being more careful how they load the dishwasher, so that I don't have Dishwasher Spastic Time multiple times a day. Because even Mum must admit that when I have loaded the dishwasher Properly, it takes only half as long to empty it when it's clean. 

My madness does make sense if you really think about it. 

34 comments:

  1. Omg haha you are ridiculous. Please never change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to do the dishes in my house hold, and my parents are always trying to get my nieces or little brother to pitch in. I can't handle it. They don't put anything up right, and they don't dry anything properly. I guess OCD really pays homage to "If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself."

    ReplyDelete
  3. OCD is hilarious. I'm the same way with the dishwasher...but I will also unpack and repack my mother's gym bag, her suitcases if she's going on a trip, her picnic basket if she's going on a picnic. I'll unpack and repack anything I don't think is done in the most efficient way possible.

    My teenage coworkers who were packing to go to college were begging me to come pack their shit after they saw how amazing my work bag was.

    It's a blessing...AND A CURSE. DunDUnDUNNN!

    That foam topper/duvet/safety pin situation would piss me off, too. I'd just tell that lady, "Look. I love you. Stay the fuck out of my room so I can keep loving you."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, dear, thank you so, so much for all the sympathy and concern. I will eventually be alright. Not this week, I think. But maybe once the school year is over.
    *mwah*

    That is a kiss on the palm of my hand, which I then folded up into a gun shape and shot at you coz blowing kissing is for limp wristed sissy fighters.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

    that's all. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely make my bed. I get on kicks where I do, but mostly, I don't because I just don't care since I will just mess it up & barely anyone else sees it. When I had a dishwasher, I had a tub to put most of the dishes in so that I could load it all nicely when it came time to run it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Thing about the dishwasher too.. and it's terrible because my dad also has a Thing about the dishwasher.. and it's way different from mine..
    Needless to say, we can't be in the kitchen while the other is cleaning it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. when you just MENTIONED washing the dishes by hand I got twitchy thinking about a stray bit of gross water getting down my rubber glove/arm. then there's always a hair in your face. I HAVE TO WEAR certain SHOES while loading or unloading the dishwasher because stray water will splash exactly in between my toes. I can't even think about it.

    HAHA! the thing that makes me laugh for reals in your pictures is the halfway closed, suspicious eyes. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA love that.
    thanks xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha your pics are so awesome! And your posts - wow i never have THAT much to say.
    OH gah i have OCD like symptoms too. My bookshelf is meticulously arranged, as well as my wardrobe. I have to have the exact same coat hangers, and they all have to be facing the same way. Now, when you're in a family of four, and then have the messiest dad and sister in the world, with multiple coat hanger's brands', when it gets messed up in MY room, then i start spazzing. which now happens quite a few times per week. I'm thinking of installing a camera into my room coz im so paranoid of people walking in and out and looking at my stuff...when theres nothing really to look at.
    LOL sorry for the ramble. Just saying, I CAN RELATE <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, dear god, we ARE twins! I have the same issues with cleaners! When I was working, the neighbours C/L used to hep me out. Lily is great at her job, but when she's done, you can't find ANYTHING!!! She moves your whole house around!

    I dream about having a dishwasher. I'm currently the CDW (chief dish washer)! I totally agree about stacking it right. It makes sense. You work less and save water. Hello?! (the boys hate me, they call me Little Miss Anal!) OCD is about the most fun you can have on your own! Hee hee!

    I effing love the title of this post! I had a serious crush on Gene Wilder as a girl. The original CATCF was my favourite, I saw it a bajillion times! Great post, M.! Love you. <3. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hehe, I love your neurological reference..:P x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome. I too have to load the dishwasher properly. There's the "right" way of doing it, then there's "everyone else's" way of doing it! I bet having a cleaning lady is awesome (except for the whole bed thing). Leave one morning and come home to a clean house? Heck yeah! I would tell the lady to never touch my room though. I have everything in it's proper place and things are NOT to be moved/rearranged unless I move/rearrange them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Long post short, this is a rant about cleaning. You managed to make a post and a half outta talking about your bedspread and the dishwasher. I love it. Haha.

    OCD isn't so bad, at least you're always precise and neat! :P

    Sometimes I'm like that, where if something isn't my way, or even slightly different, I freak out. It's not with everything, and I know I don't have OCD, but I have OCD tendancies sometimes. Hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahaha you are funny but i think i can understand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It took forever for the boyfriend to finally understand how stubbornly picky I am about how the bed should be made. And how, since I hate making it, we should sleep on top of the made bed with a different blanket so that I can be lazier.

    Being particular isn't bad as long as you aren't having nuclear meltdowns about where the spoons were put in the dishwasher. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am the same way about my bed, I try and make it in the morning but never end up doing it, If I'm almost sleeping and the duvet is messed up or starting to bunch I will wake up my financé and completely rip the bed apart to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am VERY particular about the dishwasher. And in turn, while teaching my 7 year old how to load the dishwasher, she is now very particular about it too. My girls (7 and 5) are also very particular about the way their clothes are arranged in their dressers. Works great for me. They refuse to allow me to help put their laundry away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, I actually just got up to go and check our dishwasher. I get really het-up about the idea that the dishwasher does not clean all the dishes as well a bit of good old fashioned elbow grease could. Therefore once all the dishes have been half cleaned in the dishwasher, I rewash them. Especially if everything in the load was not segregated properly. I actually get quite upset if I find another member of the household has not double checked a dish before putting it away. Beds, wardrobes, ironing, remote controls, bathroom accessories all have specific orders.. Oh man, this just highlights how bad my habits have been getting recently. I'm going to put it all down to exam stress.

    You are the queen of efficiency :) It's always a delight to read your posts.

    Who said you couldn't complain now and again?

    I hope you are well and have a lovely week X

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have the same problem. I just don't deal with it as well as you! LOL

    I've gotten to the point that I will just do everything myself because it saves me the trouble of having to go back and correct someone's (i.e. my husband's) "mistakes". Like folding the laundry, for instance. It has to be done a certin way or it's totally wrong!! haha...and that's just the beginning.


    ~MLM

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, Mich, you are the bestest!

    i am staying with my parents and my mom has to have the dishwasher loaded in a very particular way. But then, she also has to watch the local news 3-4 times a day so she can record the tempertures....hum, OCD? Can't judge her, as i am totally Nuts!

    My folks have a really sweet cleaning lady...she loves to organize things...oh, to have that mindset!

    Loving your pictures, as always. You rock!

    xoxo,
    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Even if you were spoiled, the fact that you help your cleaning lady out and are so nice to her makes you a good person<3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh! I am completely the same. Everything just has to be 'my' way or I have a total bitchfit/meltdown, whether it is out loud or inside my head.

    I am so glad I live alone. People would think I was the weirdest thing to walk the planet haha.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah, between you and me, I think the dial on my elliptical is a little iffy! If I actually do half the workout it tells me I do, I'll be a monkey's uncle! Sure, I'm a natural long distance runner, but it's doubtful, innit?! Oh, well some's better'n none! <3. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha oh god...i wish my ocd tendencies dealt with being clean! mine are just ridiculous things that involve numbers, how to brush teeth correctly, textures, ect ect! Maybe as I get older my ocd will form into wanting to be cleaner lol

    My family used to have a cleaning lady, I have forgotten her name:/ she was pretty cool though, we used to drink beer together when mom wasn't home :P paying someone to clean though is a bit ridiculous, especially if you can do it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I work washing dishes all day long, so if I had to do it at home, my brain would explode. x_X

    My bed is also just a mattress on the floor, and I even sleep without a pillow. So... I'm like the ultimate anti-OCD. XD But sometimes I wish I had your tendencies. Still, your room is as messy as mine despite your OCD. So neither of us is ahead in the end. ;)

    And thanks for your encouraging words about my friend. I really needed it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those cartoons are the very epitome of AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  27. love u mich i really do and ur ocd craziness caseu i am the same way

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love you, Master and Comnander...sometimes, you are the only thing keeping me alive.

    xoxo,
    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for the comments *Hugs* Gah there was a commentEXPLOSION so its taken forever to get back to everyone >.<

    Lol, this makes me think of you:
    http://vetlemakt.com/wp-content/uploads/cdo1.jpg
    I am so incredibly glad I don't have OCD! I do agree with you on the dishwasher thing, however. I get incredibly pissed off with people at work who don't load the dishwasher/sanitizer properly. SHIT DON'T GET CLEANED AND I HAVE TO WASTE TIME, WATER AND ELECTRICITY TO DO IT PROPERLY!!1!
    /rage

    Ugh, mockingbired? Seriously? D: Wake up at 4:30 and stake out with a slug gun. It make help put a dint in the population. Are they a protected species? (Always a consideration here.)

    Hope you have a great weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. i do the same thing with the dishwasher!!! and none of my family members get it. sometimes they won't even properly rinse their dishs and then i have to go through the entire thing, wasting an good hour, and re-wash all of their nasty, crusty dishes. and they don't understand my need to segregate the silverware. it's just so much easier. no worries about the sharp knife making ribbons of your hand when you go to grab a fork, cause they don't mix. why wouldn't smoeone do it that way????!!!

    yesterday i nearly cried because a bird had crapped on the windshield of my mom's car and she wouldn't turn the wiper blades on and use the cleaner fluid. i had to beg her until i was at the point where i almost had a meltdown.-ugg-, why dosen't she get it????

    OCD makes me so crazy @.@

    ReplyDelete
  31. Back when I had a dishwasher I was the same way. If it ain't sttacked right the water jets actually cement food and grime onto the dishes. Eewwwwwwww!!
    Does Betty clean and organize your horde or just change the bed?
    Yea i'd have a hard time telling her too.
    I probably wouldn't...i'd probably just keep redoing the bed cuz I don't want to hurt her feelings.
    Peeps like us can be softies sometimes :)

    Love your pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wahahaha forever friends bound by eds, jewelry and geek-wallet feckdom!!
    You are very welcome ^_^
    ^_^
    XD

    ReplyDelete
  33. P.S.
    Hmmmmm, so you just need to train them to sing GOOD stuff at 5am instead of random shit? Hook up a DC player to a timer, I'm sure you can get the next generation trained if you catch them soon enough!

    Ugh, I know! I was gonna train me a Riding Raptor so I could more efficiently catch Alpaca to shear! Not cool!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. That pic on Oxy's blog was sooo cute, i had to make a print of it....hope it's not copywrited!

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.