Friday, February 18, 2011

Them belly full, but we hungry.

My head is a noisy mess. 

I've been bouncing back and forth between starving, attempting to eat like a normal person, and pigging out, interspersed with my usual frantic exercising and occasional ex-lax-attack. Like a pinball, only with food and no fun lights or sound effects.

Today, for example, I had a small bowl of Special K cereal for breakfast, a snack of a fiber bar and a small bag of Cheerios at work, and then for lunch I had turkey and lettuce and low-fat mayo on a whole wheat wrap, and I felt okay about it. Until like half an hour after lunch, when I was like OMFG I'M A WHALE. So I went to the gym for an hour and a half and I still have abnormal circulation in my feet (new sneakers). And I haven't eaten anything since lunch. I don't plan on eating anything until breakfast tomorrow. 


I need to go visit my father this weekend. We haven't spoken in several weeks--not since I called to see if the Little Bros could come adventuring with my friends and me. My bff's Christmas present is still at Dad's house, and I really need to get it (because for some asinine reason, you can't ship alcohol to New Jersey). Calling him up is such an emotional hassle. 


Despite now being an adult, I still find myself in the same mental state I was in at the age of five, as far as fathers are concerned. Like many children with absent fathers, I collected father figures. Mostly I collected them off the television. 


Gene Autry was my first father. 
The original singing cowboy. I loved him with all my heart. My nanny recorded episodes off Nick at Nite, or whatever channel it was on, so I could watch the Gene Autry Show over and over and over. I invented a whole world in which I lived with Gene Autry out in the Wild West, and was his only child, and he doted on me and treated me like a princess.


Then there was Bob Ross
He nurtured my artistic spirit. I would set my paper and watercolour sets up on the floor and paint with him nearly every day. And he of course loved my artwork, as a father should, and no doubt he hung it all up on our imaginary refrigerator.


Around age 6, the Undertaker became my father.
Because no one would dare f*ck with the Undertaker's daughter.

And then when Law & Order first came on TV, Detective Lenny Briscoe was my new dad.
When he died a few years ago, I mourned for weeks. I think that was when I first realized that perhaps I had a problem, because it really felt as though I had lost someone very dear to me. 

I think I started having the Willie Nelson Dad Fantasies around the same time Law & Order started, like age 8 or 9.
Who wouldn't want Willie Nelson for a dad? You'd be the coolest kid on the block. 

And then when I was like 11 years old, I saw both Pumpkinhead and Powder for the first time. The show Millennium aired its pilot episode that same year. And thus Lance Henriksen came into my life.
He is my favourite dad. I am still in the process of obsessively collecting all of his movies. I just bought Dead Man (Lance, Michael Wincott, and Johnny Depp, AND it's a Western--you really can't go wrong). 

It's pretty bad. I know I talk about Millennium a fair bit, but seriously I am OBSESSED with that show. I could probably recite all three seasons. I watch at least one episode a day. It's like a security blanket. I watch it at night right before bed, so Lance Henriksen/Dad can tuck me into bed and tell me stories while I go to sleep. 

I think I need a therapist. 


[...on a side note--for all of you in Australia, Lance is going to be at the Armageddon Expo in Sydney next weekend. I will sell my soul to anyone who goes and gets him to a sign a photo for me.]

24 comments:

  1. ha i love therapy. my mom and I share a therapist and she thinks we're hilarious. not sure how much "growth" is occurring, but i have an hour to say the f word as much as I want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEEEE! LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog title! I didn't have an accent as a child but I do understand Patois and have been to Jamaica a few times. Are you a fan of Jamaican food? As one who was raised by the simultaneously fierce and suffocatingly loving Jamaican woman {Is that how it was for you? I'm not sure how nannies work} you deserve a medal of survival and a pass for all strange quirks. Also, you are officially my sister. Welcome to the family.

    I hope that the call to your father works out okay and you get your stuff and can hang out with your brothers. You have a wonderful collection of alterna-fathers. Bob Ross and Willie Nelson for Life! I have always conflated my imaginary fathers with my imaginary boyfriend; this makes for some very strange attractions.

    I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!! love, love LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we seem to own the same diet pinball machine.
    good luck with contacting your dad.

    stay lovely. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are going to hate me so much right now... im in aus and in going to sydney the weekend after that expo! at least you many dads do cool things... mine just drinks and plays computer games.
    Im in the exact same way with eating atm. minus the laxtives. ill try an eat healthy but just and up not eating or binging. grr.
    take care. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that exact thing of collecting father figures (OMG I LOVE LENNY BRISCOE), I think that's what started my unhealthy attraction to guys who could most definitely be my dad, because I didn't have a father figure. And whenever I see a guy who's older and an awesome dad to his kids, I just want to be with him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the first paragraph of this post describes EXACTLY what i'm going through. nailed it! there is no such thing as a happy medium. have a good weekend dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol at the pinball

    you collected dads...I collected brothers.

    I still am! except I do it in real life instead of with tv personalities. :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bob Ross is my favorite EVER! He's so soothing. I watch that show about once a week it comes after the kiddo's PBS in the morning and just having his voice in the background sets a lovely tone for the whole day.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, mourned Jerry's passing. I also thought he'd make an awesome dad and I agree, Willie Nelson, what's not to love?!

    I wouldn't have minded Michael Cain either. I'd have loved to have been asked "Alright, Darlin'?" in that lovely South London accent! <3. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Bob Ross! I love the Geico Mayhem guy as well =) You know, until you mentioned it, I never realized that the reason why I had crushes on mean old enough to be my father was because I was trying to replace the one I didn't have in real life. This is great psychology when you think about it. That explains my love of Chuck Norris, Steve Irwin (rest in peace), and the fireman who always came to my school! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have a father complex as well! i have a perfectly wonderful dad but for some reason i'm drawn to father figures and fantasize about being close with them in a platonic way. weird.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. i collected posters. and shells because i liked to hear the see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, Lenny Briscoe...love, love love him forever! Pinball here too!

    Love you, Doll!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is exactly like being a pinball. You're completely correct.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this post and your journey through dads. I can relate in a slightly different way I had a wicked father, terrible, horrible mother and went through a journey of moms through my life.

    Except my moms weren't t.v. moms (because i wasn't alloud to watch t.v. for the most part when I was younger) but my best friend's moms.

    ~ H

    Willie Nellson would make a kick ass dad. So would Billy Idol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. come to chicago anytime! i live in the burbs but can totally take you to a MILLION cool places. and we can go to the symphony! 'sfunny you hate nyc...i've never been but am dying to witness all its graffiti and bad ass art museums. our street art scene here sucks haha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love you diet pinball machines. lol. thank you for the comments youve been leaving me xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, I used to play that pinball game when Jake worked at a dry cleaners on their computer. Now I play the version you're accustomed to. <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. My siblings mostly suck. I mean...when I was little, I really wanted to like them. Really. But I don't. lol I liked the whole concept of siblings, though. It seems nice, having people who have to love you no matter what idiocy you manage to conceive. hahah

    As for hiking, I do take the scenic route walking home from work...which means through the park, around the lake and across from the river. So, there's that.

    Philly...lol I've been there once a really long time ago. I prefer NYC. In fact, if I ever get back into the city, I'll force you to come visit me there. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello girls I have returned to blogger after trying to lose weight the healthy way and developing a better mental health I gave up I threw it all away to become "Delicate!!" Threw all my hard work away so I could eat from one extreme to another, to get to my goals quicker!! As many of us do we give up and think it will be easier and quicker to try a stupid diet which you only end up binging and back to square one!!

    I am ashamed of my choices and want to continue down my path of being healthy!! I can not believe I nearly threw it all away!! I have decided to give it my all 100% and nothing less!! I will reach my GOALS but in a HEALTHY way!!

    I too want to look great in a Bikini, in that Little Party Dress, in those CK Jeans but I want to ROCK them without feeling GUILTY, without LYING to all those around me and to not be KILLING MYSELF in the process!! I want to look HOT in ULTIMATE HEALTH and HAPPINESS, I want to have AWESOME SELF ESTEEM and I want to ROCK CONFIDENCE!! I want to earn the JOY of achieving HEALTH - HAPPINESS - SELF ESTEEM and CONFIDENCE the right way not the wrong way!! I want this more than anything in LIFE and I am going to get it !! It is now or never, there is no looking back!! Please support me and I will return the favor!! I choose to follow girls with distorted eating as I feel they understand what I am going through compared to "normal eating" girls they just think I am crazy!!

    http://never----ever----give----up.blogspot.com/2011/02/one-place-to-another.html

    I am putting this every where because I know I will influence at least one person out in this great big world to never give up and to keep trying!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh Bob Ross, awesome. I used to zone out watching him. Sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ugh. The pinball-machine cycle. I know it all too well.

    I feel for you with your search for a dad-figure. My dad wasn't horrible, but I still find myself turning men I look up to, into father figures. Usually, my therapists. Talk about transference. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had the same feelings for Bob Ross too! I was so sad when I heard he died. Do you remember the episodes when he had the bird that he saved with the broken wing? He brought it back to health and then let it go back to the wild! OMG...I miss him.


    ~MLM

    ReplyDelete
  24. hey at least u got tot he gym this week lucky

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.