I have a tooth ache.
Like OW.
:(
I also have no dental insurance, and as a result of this I have not been to the dentist since September 2008. That was the year Mum bought me a dental check-up for my birthday. ("Wow, gee whiz, THANKS A LOT MUMMY." >:0). Mum's dentist (we'll call him Dr. K) is a sadist. But he gives me a discount on his dental services, something that no other dentist will do for the likes of poor penniless me. And also, the prospect of finding another dentist creates a level of anxiety akin to how I would feel if I found out I had intestinal parasites. So I'll stick with Dr. K, even if he could use some improvements in certain areas:
- Like not cancelling my appointment at the last minute (literally - I have received calls from his office half an hour before I was scheduled to be there) so he can go play golf because it's such a nice bloody day that he feels like taking off early.
- Some people do not like dogs. Some people especially do not like very small dogs, so I would really appreciate it if he would not throw his yappy, snappy Bichon-Frise in my lap whilst my mouth is too full of dental instruments to protest. I know Dr K loves his lap dogs (God knows I've seen him carrying them around his office enough times), but I really don't want to admire them or play with them. Really.
- Novocain is a wonderful thing. It would be nice if Dr K could use it next time he plans on yanking one of my teeth out without so much as a friendly warning.
- Radiation causes leukemia. For this reason, it is probably unwise to take 6 x-rays in one visit just because he screwed up the first bunch.
- Dr K's new flat screen tv's are pretty cool, but I wish he wouldn't offer me the remote and then take it away and change the channel (to watch that agent of Satan, Rachel Ray, of all people) just because he doesn't want to watch Law & Order re-runs.
- I can not provide detailed answers about my job/mother/car problems when my mouth is full of dental tools.
- Dr K should be able to judge, from the look on my face when he hands me the bill, that I can not afford a $500 whitening treatment.
- Stop staring at my tits.
Recipe time!
I found this thing called Brussels Sprout Fricassee in New York magazine last year, and I improved it. It was tested on a 5-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy, and both of them ate quite a bit of it. It's a nice recipe for the holidays, I think. You can't go wrong adding bacon to stuff. You can of course make it vegetarian/vegan friendly by omitting the bacon and using a non-butter spread to cook the onions. So here's my version.
You will need:
- Brussels sprouts (about 2 containers)
- Butternut squash (about 3 1/2 cups, or half of a large one)
- broth (2 cans, vegetable or chicken)
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- salt, pepper, and pumpkin pie spice
- bacon bits (1 to 2 tbsp)
- chopped pecans (1 ounce)
To make it:
- Chop the butternut squash into little cubes, about half an inch thick.
- In a big pan, bring one can of the broth to a simmer, and add the squash cubes. Keep it covered, and stir it every few minutes. You should simmer it for about 15 minutes.
- To prep the Brussels sprouts, cut the stems off the bottom and then chop each sprout in half, longways.
- In a separate saucepan, saute the minced onion in the 1/2 tbsp of butter. Once the onion is a transparent golden colour, add the other can of broth and bring it to a simmer. Then add the sprouts. Stir it occasionally, and cook them in the broth for five minutes.
- After five minutes, add the bacon bits to the sprouts, as well as a pinch of pumpkin pie spice. Simmer for another five minutes, or until the sprouts are cooked but still crunchy.
- Once the butternut squash is tender (after the 15 mins), turn the heat up and stir it a lot to burn off some of the excess broth.
- After the sprouts are cooked, add them to the pan with the squash.
- Stir it up for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once it's done, you can stir in the chopped pecans, or sprinkle them on the top when it's ready to serve.
I did mine with only one container of sprouts, 1/2 ounce of pecans, and 1 can of broth (because SOMEONE [ahemLittleSisahem] used the other one), so at the end it came to about 633 cals for the entire thing.




YUM!!! you need to come ot my house for thanks giving :)
ReplyDeleteIm trying this out next time I find food money :)
i love the backgroung to your blog. like, really.
ReplyDeleteOoh i hate dentists! How perverted, to spend your career looking in other people's mouths!
ReplyDeletebut that recipe looks yummy :)
Dentists scare the crap out of me. And even I, one who LOVES little dogs, would be weirded out that their would be one in the office! Seems kind of unsanitary!
ReplyDeleteThat recipe looks lovely! And I don't even like brussel sprouts. Though I guess I haven't tried them since I was like...10.
What a terrible dentist! I still can't get over the part where he thinks it's perfectly fine to toss a dog in your lap while your mouth is propped open. Especially without asking... what a freak.
ReplyDeletehahaha you always have the best recipe's! and i'm not very sure you would have much of a different experience at any other dentist, all 3 that i've gone to have been at varying levels of evil XD
ReplyDeleteDentists are a spawn of Satan, really. I also haven't been to the dentist in about 2 years because health insurance is really expensive. I pray I don't fall and knock my front teeth out because then I'd be screwed.
ReplyDeleteI love your descriptions! Intestinal parasites, agent of satan...I'm going to have to borrow those some time =). And a dental appointment has got the be the oddest b-day gift I've ever heard of!
♥
Yumminess! :) And tell your dentist to stop being a perv!!! Don't stare at your boobs! :O xxx
ReplyDeletemy grandpa was my dentist up until he got sick this year.... so i like dentists! :P
ReplyDeleteand that actually looked sooo delish! i cant cook but im considering printing the recipes and convincing chef to teach me how to make it :)
and u up for helping me put a hit on him??? im so up for that! im seriously considering calling the cops on him... they take him in and they will find sooo much illegal shit on him!
i jsut hate him so much for doing this to me, and using me :(
-happiness <3
I wouldn't mind if my dentist stared at my tits, but then again she's a woman and she's hot. Teehee, I'm so using vodka to fuel my writing tomorrow arvo! Are you doing NaNo? I think I asked but forgot what you said.
ReplyDeleteWhat pisses me off the most about Japanese is
1) KANJI
2) KEIGO
Seriously, the formal language goes entirely AGAINST my cultural conditioning, being a kiwi and all that. I'd walk up to the Queen and greet her the same as I'd greet a nutty loony mate or a bum on the street. Sadly, the people of Wa just don't do that and the language shows it. Idiots!!
I missed the cutoff time on the Unicycle. Next year, maybe. This year was hoop and devilsticks, next year can be contact juggling and Unicycle.
Oyasumi! :p
xoxoxoxoxo
God I hate the dentist with a passion.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, my dentist office has all old ladies that clean your teeth..they listen to oldies and sing in horrible pitched voices. It's so cringe-worthy.
The recipe looks awesome, I'll have to try it out sometime this week or next, minus the bacon :D.
I have toothache. I need some teeth to be taken out because [don't laugh] my mouth isn't big enough for 28 teeth lol. I'm supposed to have 32 :/ I think I need a new dentist though and I don't know how you do that. Gah.
ReplyDeleteI hate a dentist that talks to you whilst their hand is in your mmouth though. Like wtf??
Your dentist is creepy though and kind of putting me off finding a new one :| lol.
Without the sprouts that would be fine :P
xxx
ooh cant wait to try that one :)
ReplyDeleteHe takes your "Law and Order" away????!!!!...now that is plain vicious!!!!! Well, that along with the lack of novicain....or not enough! Poor you, he is the Spawn of Satan!!!
ReplyDeletei have had good luck with dentists in the past and have a very handsome group (they actually sent out post cards...i call them "My Three Dentists") i want to go to. But even with insurance, it will take $$$$$$$$$$$$ to fix this mess.
Sorry TMI.
Glad you are in a better mood! Toothaches are the worst kind of pain I think. They seem to be so much harder to get rid of, it seems sometimes they have a shield up to prevent tylenol, ibuprofen, anbesol, & any other possible pain reliever from working. I suppose it's nice that you can't eat when you have them, but it's so not worth it (to me anyways). Have a splendid day!
ReplyDeletethat sounds like a yummy recipe
ReplyDeleteo i havent been tot he dentist since 2004 ha yeah been ahile there wow 6 years but i had enough mouth work down that i just hate the dentist now
ur dentsit sounds a lil crazy there