I feel like there is no possible way to top my last post.
I'm house sitting again. YES, I know, what the heck am I doing after what happened last time, but I get paid for this in both money and vitamins*. And I feel bad for the doggies because if I didn't take care of them, they would be sent to a kennel. It's only for 5 days this time. I should be able to hold it together for 5 days in isolation.
Wipe those smirks off your faces.
Bipolar Auntie arrived yesterday from England. Loud Auntie might be coming next week. I love them both to pieces, but all three of them (when you count Mum) together is dangerous. Add Anorexic Auntie, and it's like the 4 Horsewomen of the Apocalypse.
I heard Mum entertaining the idea of having Anorexic Auntie over as well this summer. I don't know if I can handle this. Anorexic and Loud are both recovering from illnesses (Anorexic from some kind of kidney problem, and Loud from a lung infection), and Mum thinks they could use a nice holiday out in the States, so they can sit by the pool and relax without their children.
This would be lovely if all three Aunties could show up ONE AT A TIME.
Despite their mature ages (Anorexic-52; Mum-62; Loud-65; Bipolar-71), none of them act very mature. They rampantly talk trash about each other, and use the Silent Treatment like 12-year-olds. At the moment, Loud is refusing to speak to Bipolar because Bipolar is still speaking to A-hole Uncle, who is hated by most of his other siblings (there's 8 of them altogether). Loud and Anorexic seem to be a bit cold towards each other, but 2 years ago they were bff's, and neither of them was speaking to Mum because they were making a show of excluding her (Mum and Loud used to be bff's, and then Mum and Anorexic were bff's for a while during the time Loud and Bipolar were being bff's, but then that all went to shite after some blow up and Mum and Loud were bff's again before Loud ditched Mum for Anorexic). Now they're all kind of holding each other at a distance, especially Anorexic because after Granny died, Ano looted the house and took all of the good stuff.
I have 3 sisters as well, and am in the exact same spot in the line-up as Mum (2 older sisters, 1 younger), but we don't behave like this. Sure we got up to our fair share of nonsense as CHILDREN, but now that we're grown up, the nonsense is minimal. Elk actually got me thinking more about this. We did some pretty cruel things to each other as kids.
Big Sis #2 and I have been at war since the time of my toddlerhood. A long and difficult war that shall never end, because we now stand at a stalemate. Basically we both got too good at my siblings' favourite game--Scaring Each Other.
When I was around 2 or 3 years old, I developed a fear of sirens, and siren-like noises. This is because every time a police car or firetruck or ambulance went past my house, Big Sis#2 would tell me that they were coming to get me and lock me up in the loony bin. This is what led to my habit of hiding in dark closets when I get frightened or stressed out. And I still have an instinctive PANIC reaction to sirens and alarms. Especially firetruck sirens--I start hyperventilating if the noise doesn't go away soon enough.
Unfortunately, because of a rather large age gap, I was never really able to retaliate or scare Big Sis#2 Properly until my mid-late teens. So what did I do instead?
What all middle children do--I took it out on my younger siblings, and frequently got in trouble for it.
Little Sis is too easy to scare. And up until recently, she was way to easy to Hate (in a loving, sisterly way of course). Despite the fact that I would receive verbal beatings if I got caught, I made it my mission in life to traumatize Little Sis.
You know that superstition where if you hold your breath and make a wish while driving through a tunnel, your wish will come true? Well this one time like 11 years ago, Cousin was over from Ireland and we decided to take her into the city to go sightseeing. Cousin and I were 15, Little Sis was 5.
As we approached the Lincoln Tunnel, I proceeded to explain to Little Sis that if she did NOT hold her breath all the way through the tunnel, she would die. Cousin and Big Sis#2 backed me up, and then the three of us made a show of holding our breath (and breathing silently through our noses) all the way through the Lincoln Tunnel during pretty heavy traffic.
If you have ever driven through the Lincoln Tunnel (1.5 miles long), then you know it would be pretty much impossible to hold your breath through the entire thing even with no traffic. Little Sis tried, but after about 30 seconds she had to start breathing again.
Cousin, Big Sis#2, and myself kept up the charade until we emerged into Manhattan. And then--in very somber and concerned voices--we lamented the fact that Little Sis was going to die now.
It was at that point that Little Sis lost it.
Now throughout this whole saga, Mum was in the driver's seat trying to read her badly scribbled directions to the World Trade Center (there were still Twin Towers back then), trying to aggressively navigate through the traffic, and just being agitated in general for reasons I cannot remember. She missed the whole conversation that was going on in the rest of the car--missed our telling Little Sis to hold her breath, and missed us telling her she was going to die. Once we left the Lincoln Tunnel, she heard only Little Sis' whining rapidly becoming hysterical crying.
And then Mum lost it.
That was the one and only time EVER that I got away with Scaring Little Sis. Mum shouted at Little Sis to shut up and stop crying, or she'd pull over and leave her on the side of the road (a frequent empty threat from Mum, but Little Sis wasn't old enough to know that yet). Because it was usually ME getting screamed at by Mum for Little Sis being upset (even when I had not actually made her upset), I savored that moment for a very long time.
I still savor it, actually.
Recipe time!! .....sort of.
I finally found that rice paper Jenn mentioned in her blog a while back.
And I finally found Wasabi powder, in the same shop. :D Also a new flavour of dry roasted edamame.
Not as good as the wasabi edamame, or the salt one, but still pretty yummy.
So as I'm not in my own home, I had to make do with whatever Friends had in their kitchen to experiment with my rice paper. I used a tbsp of spinach dip, some dried cranberries, some chopped up carrots, a couple slices of turkey, lettuce, and a bit of mustard, salt, and pepper to make this:
Yeah I know it doesn't look all that appetizing, but it was pretty delicious. Better actually than the all-fresh-veggie ones I made last night after getting some vegetables at A&P.
Last night's wraps:
First I made a wasabi sauce with some lite mayonnaise (40 cals/tbsp), spicy mustard (5 cals/tsp) and wasabi powder (5 cals/tsp).
Once it's mixed, you have to cover the bowl and turn it upside down for a minute, so the wasabi can properly blow your head off.
Then I spread that on 2 rice sheets. You're supposed to soak the sheets in warm water for a bit to soften them. I actually prefer them not softened (if they sit for a while with any kind of sauce on them, they soften anyway), but unsoftened sheets tend to crack once you get to the wrapping stage.
I put shredded cabbage and carrots on both (it was a bag of coleslaw mix). Then on one sheet, I used peppers and onions:
On the other, I used broccoli, cauliflower, and snap peas:
Then I rolled them up!
I'm still figuring out flavour combos. I'll work on making it LOOK appetizing later. Altogether, one veggie wrap is about 150 calories or less, and that's only if you count the vegetables. And they're huge.
Going back on the exercise bike now. I was working out in my skivvies last night, because it's TOO BLOODY HOT. Hope you're all having a lovely Friday!
<3











Haha oh sibling memories. I've decided to allow myself to comment on your blog now after your little push ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm 6 years older than my brother, it's just us two. I had a friend over when he was maybe 4 or 5 and we had convinced him that we couldn't hear him or see him and thought it was just a fly buzzing ::cue theatrical fly swatting and "searching" for lil bro::
He screamed to my mom freaking out asking her if she could see him and all. After she was like "well of course you're here" he was WORRIED about me and friend, that something was wrong with us then if he was clearly still walking the earth. Became devastated that we couldn't see or hear correctly and wanted to call our dad and the doctor!
Ahhh guess you had to be there hehe but good times good times. I wish he was still that much fun.
Hahaha I always love the cartoons! They add so much vibrance to the stories. I'm the baby out of three older brother so I got the worst of it lol.
ReplyDeleteI love disorder in families..it makes me feel normal. lmao.
Have fun creating new food recipes!
I hated being the youngest because of the reason you just mentioned, my brothers often put me in tears. But then again, I did learn to fake cry and get them in trouble for nothing as I got older.
ReplyDeleteSorry I haven't commented in forever, life got a hold of me.
I think you need to post a warning, I nearly peed myself laughing at the 4 Horsewomen picture!
ReplyDeleteXD Me and the middle bro had our youngest brother CONVINCED for YEARS that the big ANZAC memorial obelisks between Dunedin and Christchurch were actually child mind-control towers. OMG it was a crack-up!
I loved torturing them so, since they were physically stronger and could beat me in a fight easier ^.^;
Best of luck surviving your 5-day hermitage. You'd better stay sane or I'll come with you next time!
<3
I love the illustrations, you have a gift! haha. Families are insane, but the chaos is home!
ReplyDeleteAnd that recipe looks wonderful, I'll have to try it!
love ur drawings hun just crazy
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on the auntie thing! I have Arrogant Auntie, Bitter Aunty, & Pit-bull Aunty (who, might I add, barged into the house this morning at 7:21 am. It is a Saturday, the one day I can sleep in past 6:45! grr. Then her voice carries like a siren throughout the entire house, leaving it impossible to sleep until she leaves. This creates a grumpy Sea). When these aunties team up with my mom, however, they do not form the four horsewomen. Since my mom would be named Cheerful, the three other aunts team up against her, trying to rob her of her happiness. I adore my mom, she just keeps smiling because she is genuinely happy & to piss them off. It is ridiculous how these women are 47-65 years of age & have not grown up at all, only becoming more vindictive with their "maturity." I'm glad you and your siblings are not making the same mistakes. And enjoy those veggie wraps, I'm sure they're delicious!
ReplyDeleteNo offense M., but your family is like something out of a soap opera. Such DRAMA!!! It does make for good comedy, though! How are you so 'normal'?!
ReplyDeleteThose rice wraps look great! So glad you found your wasabi! I used to make spring (egg) rolls with chicken, cabbage, carrot, ginger, sesame seeds and a splash of soy sauce. Not bloody bad, if I do say so myself! <3. XXX.
Bahaha. I think I'm in love with your family.
ReplyDeleteAnd spring rolls! Ahh!
The boyfriend and I just got egg roll wrappers at the store the other day. Methinks I'll have to do some wasabi experimentation.
Cats cookies, as it is, taste suspiciously similar to Teddy Grahams. They also have the adorable similarity of having two different poses. Though, instead of jumping jacks like Teddy Grahams (cat jumping jacks would just be too strange) they have one cat being lazy and laying down, and another cat leaping through the air and pouncing at some invisible creature. They're quite accurate representations, to be perfectly honest.
Much love! xoxoxox
HHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAHAHAHA!! I just laughed my guts out at the funny mean mom pic and you laughing with a triangle mouth. Husband is sitting nearby, and THEN I choked with delight when I got to the part about your salad wraps! And then he goes "you have a blog"? and THAT delighted me even further..
ReplyDeleteAND I LOVE how your picture with Lance is in that other blog. FANCY!!
have I ever mentioned how much I love your posts I think I have and I am going to say it again! Your posts are my favourite ever and they make my day!!! And your family dramas are beautiful [like you] You my love are brilliant!!
ReplyDeleteSibling Rivalry is the best is it not... I am the oldest of many children so I had the possibility to make their lives hideous for a while until they learnt how to retaliate, which was not toooooo good....
Anyways please don't stop being awesome and please don't stop making my day with your awesome posts!!!
Oh Mich, you never fail to amuse me with the stories you tell! I too was told by my cousins that if I didn't hod my breath throughout the whole tunnel then I would die. I stunned them when I held my breath the whole way, I was breathing out of my nose too ;) The recipe looks delicous, I look forward to trying it!
ReplyDelete♥
If you try to eat healthy, that's what you should be proud of. I started this because I know how good your body feels if you eat a vegan diet and because I saw so many of the girls living on coffee and not much more. This destroys everyone... and there are healthier ways to loose weight.
ReplyDeleteBtw, drink Green Tea, this kicks your metabolism!(:
The food you made looked so funny, it's the same when I cook. It always looks kind of.. strange but tastes good.
Your aunts sound very...entertaining. In my family, my father has 6 siblings and it never gets boring with them ;D
xoxo<3
haha oh sibling wars! I am a middle child so I know all about them. My big sister tortured me, I tortured my little sister, now little sis is older enough to torture me back :o... all in all we are really close considering all the bs we put each other through :P it's all fun & games!!
ReplyDeleteI don't like big chunks of onions but those wraps sound rather yummy:) I love experimenting with wraps, adding different stuff each time to see what different flavors I can come up with! this post has made me miss cooking!!
i love how you put so much effort into each post, all the drawings and everything. i love them
ReplyDeleteI like the Biblical accuracy of your horsewomen. :)
ReplyDeleteHahahaha horsewomen of the apocalypse!
ReplyDeleteI only had a bro growing up and we tended to be best buds while surviving abusive daddie dearest and stepdaddie.
Hahaha the wrap made me think of Sailor Moon and I watched the engligh translation version ofc and the pink haired kid was around and Serena had cooked something for pinkie and it didn't look good and Serena said "I know it looks like garbage but I'm sure it's fine" and it did taste good and pink hair wanted Serena to make it every night!
I love messing around with different ingredients and then seeing what they taste like =]
ReplyDeleteThat veggie roll looks delicious, though!
A true artist!
xoxo
I love that they are on My Little Ponies :)
ReplyDeleteYou have so many relatives!! My mum's mum is one of eleven or so, but they're so scattered that I don't know many, or the ones I did know have died. I probably have about a million third cousins thrice removed, but only know my two direct cousins - from my mother's only sister. My dad is an only child. He has three cousins who each have two kids, but they're all a good deal older than me and I only remember two from back when I was a child.
I think it's because my mum and dad ran off to Scotland after they were married and we never really saw relatives that often...
Now that is an impressive sibling trauma story! It's probaby a good thing I was never blessed with a younger sibling to misdirect my revenge on my older sister onto...
I'm also fairly sure you should write some sort of semi-autobiographical 'fictional' study on family life at some point. I love the way you recount these things and tie them altogether :D
xx