Thursday, June 23, 2011

Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment.

I suppose it's safe to presume that the bigger your family, the more chances there are of bad things happening to people in your family. Laws of probability and whatnot. 

My uncle was just diagnosed with liver cancer. 

(Not actual uncle--Anorexic Auntie's husband; but I've known him most of my life so he's my Uncle.)

So yeah, liver cancer. I looked it up immediately after Mum told me. I wish I hadn't. The survival rate is generally not that high. 

This is bullsh*t. 

Ano and fam were supposed to be in Spain, enjoying some time at Loud Auntie's house by the beach. They really needed that holiday. Ano Auntie took Granny's death the hardest of all the 8 kids, and she's been like ridiculously depressed for over a year. Plus she's having kidney issues and now has some condition that can't be fixed, so she's been put on a ton of meds and a special diet that restricts her from eating most of her favourite foods (which is not exactly helping the eating disorder). 

Her daughter, C. probably took Granny's death the hardest out of everyone in the entire family. C, who is 17, has Downs Syndrome and since Ano Auntie refused to send her to a special school where she might actually learn something she can retain and use later in life, she goes to a normal secondary school and has no friends. Granny was her only friend--they used to talk on the phone multiple times a day and discuss all their fav TV shows for hours. Now Granny is gone, C's father was just diagnosed with cancer, and her mother is teetering on the edge of a total nervous breakdown. 

Loud Auntie canceled her American holiday to go and stay with Ano Auntie for a while. We can't go be with our family because we live on the other side of the bloody ocean. I hate that my parents moved here. HATE IT. We're too far removed from our family and with each bad thing that happens, I feel like we're getting more and more removed. 

We were here when my cousin died of cancer (in 1994; she was 19), so we couldn't help out Bipolar Auntie. We were here when Granddad dropped dead of a heart attack with no warning whatsoever (1997). I was stuck in Philadelphia and couldn't get home fast enough to go to Ireland with Mum when Uncle Chris also dropped dead of a heart attack with no warning whatsoever (2003). We were stuck here when Granny got sick last March. 

And then last May, when I was away in the Dominican Republic, Granny died and no one told me. They didn't tell me until I got home to New Jersey, 2 days after the funeral. (Apparently there was a large graveside argument about this, between various cousins and my mother...)

This makes me want to claw my eyes out. I feel like a cast away--adrift in a big country full of people who are not my family. 

When I was little, I used to beg Mum to take us to live in Ireland. Like BEGGING with tears and fury and door slamming and throwing myself face-down on the floor. I hated it here. I hated school, hated my town, hated all the kids I played with and went to school with, hated living in a house with no father and a mother who was never home and no other family nearby. I wanted a Home. When I was sent to Ireland every summer, I would hide out in the bogs on my last day there, praying that Mum would just leave me behind when she couldn't find me. In Shannon airport, getting onto the plane that would take us back to New Jersey, I would turn into a shrieking, suicidal, blubbering mess. 

I started cutting the year Mum decided to stay in the U.S. for Christmas. I was 9.

Ugh. 

I mean I totally love this country now. But I still don't want to live here. And of course now that I'm over 18 and can technically make my own decisions about where I live, I don't have the means to go live in Ireland. I have no savings--it all went to college. I have too much debt. There are no jobs over there, especially in Achill, as it's about as "middle of nowhere" as you can get without dropping off into the sea. 

>:O

I'm sorry for the non-happy post. Today is a bad day. The weather outside matches my mood.

16 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry to hear about your uncle :(. It hurts when anything bad happens to a family member no matter how close you are to them. I hope your aunties are able to take everything ok- another tragedy in the family is the LAST thing anyone needs. I really hope he gets better.

    I wish I could live in Ireland. I've never visited there but I've seen pictures and it looks really lovely. My ancestor where Irish (and a few Cherokee) so I wouldn't mind living in my "homeland" so to speak. I have no means of traveling either- I'm currently stuck because college is expensive, so are cars, and the economy sucks. If you ever have a change to go to Ireland- I can fit well in small places like suitcases or boxes- as long as they're air holes and water. You wouldn't have to feed me much- just slip in a few pieces of beef jerky or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your Uncle, god cancer is hard.
    Its hard to be away from the familiar and family, the picture is lovely, all you can do now is just pray for him and cherish all the time he has left. Its not to say that miracles don't happen too, but in the meantime you have to be strong for him and not fall apart, if he knows his chances, I'm sure he's just as scared as you are. I hope you can find a way to feel a bit better. Once again so sorry honey..
    Big Virtual non touching Hugs coming your way
    (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your uncle :( I hope he is lucky and does recover :)
    It must be horrible living so far away from your family :/ I can't really imagine it, but it must be really bad if moving to America was enough to make you start cutting at such a young age :/
    I would be livid if I wasn't told my grandma died until after the funeral! That's unfair.
    I hope you can find a way to get to Ireland eventually and/or become closer to your family :)
    Lottie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. And, in a way, I can understand about hating being away from family. I'm not as far removed (only about 1100 miles), but it seems like light years. **cyber hugs**


    ~MLM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry about all the bad things that are happening to your family... *hugs* Maybe one day you'll strike lottery or something and you can buy a huge house in Ireland and move your entire family there (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awful lot of things that are happening to your family. I didn't realize most of your extended family was overseas - that must be incredibly difficult. Even just moving across the country from my family for a year was insanely hard, I can't imagine being away from them all the time.

    Please know that we are here for you and support you 100% Miss Mich.

    Perhaps this will brighten your day... the wolf preserve just got 3 puppies a few weeks ago. I got to go over to the owners' house and play with them... so freaking cute, I have to send you pictures/video...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your Uncle love. I hope you one day do get to Ireland [soon!]. I understand completely how you feel about you granny dying and that situation. When my grandma died (she lived in Ireland too!!!) I wasn't told about anything until 2 days after the funeral until my dad called me, and told me that she had passed and he said the funeral was two days ago. I wanted to punch him in the face for not telling me. I was an angry 16year old for about two months. I still haven't grieved properly or anything.
    I really do hope your Uncle gets better and that everything starts to sort itself out I really do!

    Oh that sucks so you really can't hate those friends... well it doesn't suck I mean I feel so bad for your friend.
    Yeah I abuse my sims too its quite fun. I love locking neighbours in doorless rooms its quite amusing really
    Hope your having a good week
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh...I don't even know what to say except I'm so sorry to hear the shitty news. :/

    I find it really endearing how much you love your family and how much they all mean to you even though they are quite removed. It's refreshing.

    That's probably not comforting to you at the mo.

    *sigh* if only we had some fuckin alien technology right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about that... I know the economy in Ireland sucks, as it does in a lot of Europe right now. :/

    (though the weather outside my be gloomy, the picture is gorgeous, as are you.)

    I know that it was really hard for you to not know when your grandma really died, but I suppose your mom meant well, even if it wasn't the right thing to do. -hugs-

    Stay strong despite the storm, hun. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you're feeling so lonesome and homesick right now, as much as I can feel completely suffocated by my family (aunts, uncles, sister, brother-in-law, grandparents and cousins all under one roof) I'll take today to appreciate it, them, the whole messy-mess.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwww I'm sorry hon. I'd be livid too. Makes sense that you want to go to Ireland. If I ever get to Scotland, we'll be neighbors! Kinda.
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    Don't know what to say
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    Love ya, muffin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bloody hell! Why do shit things always happen to good people?

    We need to curl up on the couch in fluffy blankets with the cats and hot cups of tea and laugh ourselves stupid watching Tim Minchin. After that, say bugger the bad weather, throw on some jackets and have a ramble in the Town belt.

    Dragging the Tarot cardas out to work on them while listening to Old School Nightwish (Tarja forever! fuck that poprock whore!) there is a box here addressed to you with no money to get wings :(

    Love you, I hope you have a good weekend and someone can spot your Uncle a chunk of liver. I'd do it if I could.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry my love :( The dementors are really striking this year

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry about your uncle :(

    I used to want to move when I was younger too. I wanted to get out of England and go up to Scotland to be with my dad and that side fo the family. Never happened though.

    My Grandad died of an heart attack in 1997 too. Well 3 strokes and 2 major heart attacks. It sucks that bad things always seem to happen to good people.

    Hugs!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm so sorry about all the crappy things that seem to happen to you and your family.

    as much as this was incredibly, incredibly depressing; you are clearly a very talented writer. glad i stumbled here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow hunny im really sorry i really am it sucks its like one blow fter anothe i get that it happens to my fmaily too trust me
    and ims orry that they arent tellin gu things
    the weather yesterday did suck

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.