To the first anonymous commenter--I actually DO know what it's like to be overweight. Therein lies the reason I began dieting, which began the long road that eventually led to starving myself.
To the second anonymous commenter--thank you for not being an arsehole. <3
I really do not understand people who leave negative or nasty anonymous comments on blogs. The ones on my posts have never been that nasty, but I've seen some really mean and negative ones on other people's blogs. Like seriously, if it bothers you that much, THEN WHY THE HECK ARE YOU READING IT?!?
On the other hand, those of you who leave kind and gracious anonymous comments, or even just neutral comments have all of my love. <3
So guess what I did on Sunday? I'll give you a hint--Girl Scout cookies were involved.
It was a massacre. I was merciless in my Girl-Scout-Cookie genocide. And then I moved on to Big Sis #2's banana bread pudding. I DON'T EVEN BLOODY LIKE BANANA.
I'm worried about Big Sis #2. And it's one of those situations where you really can't voice your worries; because even though we're sisters I can't really tell her my concerns about her family, as it's not my place. But her husband is the King of Lazy Useless Douchebags. And her daughter is a giant brat.
What makes it even worse is that Failure-In-Law actually used to be pretty awesome. He was funny and considerate, and he was totally perfect for Big Sis#2 in the beginning. He made her laugh a lot, and took her out to do nice things. And then baby came along and it's like he turned into a baby as well. All he does is whine and complain. When his father's auto repair shop closed down, Failure-In-Law couldn't hold down a new job. And then he shifted to just flat-out refusing to even look for a job, because all the jobs he could actually do were "beneath him." So he sits at home on the couch and does nothing--no cooking, no cleaning, no looking after their daughter--while Big Sis#2 works 40+ hours a week, does all the housework, takes care of my niece, cooks all the meals, and pays for everything. And then her parents-in-law actually have the nerve to criticize her skills as a wife and homemaker. F*cktards.
But now Failure-In-Law has a legitimate excuse not to work. He's had knee issues for a while. About a month ago, he had knee replacement surgery.
Now I know that obviously a knee replacement is not exactly minor, and recovery is going to take some time. But he won't even try. One of my close friends had the same surgery a few months ago, AFTER having multiple other surgeries on BOTH of her knees to remove scar tissue and benign tumors. And a week after she got home from the hospital, she was up and trying to walk, going to physical therapy; and even though it hurt like hell and she had to go up and down stairs on her butt, she gritted her teeth and got through it. Because she said if she just sat around and moaned and whined about it, then she was hardly going to get better. And she's 15 years older than Failure-In-Law.
But nooooooo, he sits on his arse all day, popping oxy like it's candy and whining whenever Big Sis#2 is within earshot, skipping his physical therapy appointments, and not even attempting any of the exercises he's supposed to be doing to help his knee feel better.
Epic fail in the Man department. I've seen elderly women bounce back from knee and hip replacements faster.
Moving on to my niece.
There's no nice way to say it: Niecey-G is a super-spoiled brat. Of course I love her unconditionally, because she is my niece, but I very much dislike being in her company. (It's an odd feeling, that--I'd throw myself in front of a truck to save her if I had to, but would really rather not spend time with her in general.) Obviously, it is most definitely not my place to tell anyone how to raise their children. But it's kind of common sense that if you give your kid whatever they ask for, always give in to their whining or tantrums, and let them dictate the running of your household, then your kid is probably going to end up expecting that sort of parental obedience at all times. Niecey-G is given whatever she wants; is never punished for being naughty; and on cognitive and social levels, she is functioning about 2 years below her age group.
I may not be a parent, but 10+ years of work experience as well as college education have left me fairly knowledgeable in the area of child development. At nearly 6, a child should speak well, be fairly comfortable with things like using the potty and going to bed, should be able to dress herself, and should not need to be carried around by her mother with her face buried in her mother's shirt because she's "shy." She should be retaining some early reading and counting skills, be able to play with other children her age and follow "rules" for games, and she should be not only displaying some independence, but she should WANT to show some independence, as well as WANTING to play with other children.
Niecey-G does none of those things, and it's not for lack of intelligence. She's very clever when she wants to be, but she likes all the attention and mollycoddling that she gets, and she knows how to control her parents' behavior.
This hurts me, because aside from all that, Niecey-G is not a happy child. Not at all. I don't think she's being abused in the typical sense of the word--she's not being beaten or molested--but she's not being treated the way a child should be treated. At her age, she should be happy and carefree and selfish in the way of 5 and 6-year-olds, but with it enough to know when and how to behave and obey the adults in the room. Instead, Big Sis#2 gives in to Niecey-G's every desire and in turn has made Niecey-G her best friend. Thus, Niecey-G now has a tough time fitting in with children her age. She gets the best treatment from her mother, and so allows her mother to have her undivided attention when she should be out having playdates and doing kid-things. It's a cycle in which they feed off of each other and in doing so, they both get sucked deeper and deeper into this negative pattern of behavior--a pattern that will be almost impossible to break the longer they keep doing it.
Big Sis#2 used to be amazing with kids. I think that's what gets me the most. She always loved children, and we all thought she'd end up with at least 8 of them, and that she'd be the greatest mother of all time. Instead she's stuck in an awful marriage to a useless prick, and has turned her 5-year-old daughter into her closest and only friend while simultaneously keeping the rest of the family at arm's length. As she sinks further into unhappiness, she clings that much harder to Niecey-G, and pushes the rest of us further away.
And so, for the rest of us--me, Little Sis, Big Sis#1, and Mum--it just gets more and more difficult to get through to Big Sis#2. There's really only so much you can do and say, after all, before you cross a line.
It's enough to make me want to rip my hair out in giant clumps. Because there isn't really a right answer. There isn't even an easy answer, for feck's sake. It's no one's choice but her own how Big Sis#2 chooses to live her life, but it kills me inside to see her so obviously unhappy (as much as she tries to hide it and put on a happy face, she's not fooling me for a second). I know she thinks she's doing the best she can for Niecey-G, but if the poor child is unhappy now, I hate to imagine how she's going to be when she hits puberty in the next six or seven years.
Our family is like the Mothership of Maladjustment.
I think all of us had really hoped and prayed that the newest generation might be the one that turned out ok. Big Sis#1 has done a brilliant job so far with her three kids (perhaps because she abandoned ship early?), so at least there's some hope for them (they're perfect. Like holy hand grenades, I can't even properly explain how wonderful those children are without tearing up.). But it looks like Niecey-G might be hangin' on the Mothership with the rest of us.
I will keep trying, though. I will not let Big Sis#2 alienate herself from us, just to hide her unhappiness and all the other bad things I know she's feeling. I don't care how hard she tries to push me away. She can hate me for it later if she wants, but as far as I'm concerned, there's no grey areas when it comes to my family--if you're family, I will not turn my back on you, especially when you need help. I'll follow you down into the deepest blackest pit of hell and carry you out on my back if I have to.
Hopefully it won't come to that.
Someone invent me a remote starter for my electric kettle. We can do it with cars--I see no reason why we can't do it with household appliances.



I'm sorry...It's a whole ball of wax for every single family...
ReplyDeleteSo I found you a new pony :D
http://gocryemokid.memebase.com/2011/04/05/emo-scene-hipster-tim-burtons-happy-meal-toys-were-a-big-hit-with-the-emo-kids/
baaaah your sister's husband sounds like a giant douchelord. I sincerely hope you're able to get through to her <3 The Mothership picture made me laugh for like 10 minutes :d
ReplyDeleteHer solo albums are so good! Actually her cover of Poison on the first one got me into Alice Cooper XD
I love your drawings so much. It's like reading hyperboleandahalf, but from a person like me.
ReplyDeleteMich, you’re such a talented writer, your posts suck me right in! I enjoyed the mothership analogy, sounds a lot like my mom’s side of the family… will I escape the mothership? I don’t know… my sister has so maybe I can too.
ReplyDeleteYou are so spot in the observations you had about your niece, but there is hope. One of my best friends had a child very, very young and gave him everything he wanted until he turned about 5 and she realized she had been doing things all wrong and she had a monster on her hands. She started disciplining and it was really tough on her for the 1st year and then it got better. Her son’s fun to be around now and is turning out all right. He’s 10 or 11 now.
All you can do is be there for your sister.
~ H
Haha I love your pictures so much!
ReplyDeleteYour sisters husband sounds like a knob :/
Stay strong,
Lottie x
You know, for a so-called 'cold-hearted bitch', you're a very caring and compassionate sister. All I can say is: "Wish you were mine"! <3. XXX.
ReplyDeleteDont' worry about it, those girl scout cookies were asking for it. I was for survival's sake.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like such a painful situation with your family. Failure-in-law clearly needs to get his shit together or else your sister would be perfectly justified in walking out on his ass. I hope that you can get through to her eventually. She deserves a better life than that.
electric kettles should have time option and a remote control. And yes, Fuck Ayn Rand. Quite frankly I think there's some debate as to whether that tripe should count as philosophy.
Love you!
My dad kind of sounds like your failure-in-law towards the beginning, sold family business-got lazy-now can't even do his own laundry to save his life-didn't have a job for over a year-now that he does he calls out all the time.
ReplyDeleteI never understood why people put up with the bullshit they do, I can't ever imagine putting up with any man or woman like that. I know divorce seems harsh, but seriously how can you live with someone like that? My heart hurts for your sister:(
PS-girl scout cookies are evil! I like the chocolate & peanut butter circle ones way too much, there is a box in our pantry now....throw them away? probably the best idea.
i love that you are so concerned about you sister...i totally expect that from you. i so wish i had some ideas for you, but being as messed up as i am...suggestions fail to come to mind! i am so sorry about her situation.
ReplyDeleteYour "Mothership" is so brillant! Amazing and i love it so! How did you know to put me in there? (Selfish to the end!) i am cetian you know which one i am, you just have to make me TONS fatter! i can only imagine what my family's "Mothership" would look like! Did i tell you how much i adore your drawings?
You are just sooo lovely!
xoxoxo,
tracy
Your pictures make my day!! Oh and I hate bananas too! But sometimes when I'm feeling bingey and my housemates have baked something with bananas, I'll eat it. And I think to myself...but I fucking hate bananas! But I continue to chew..wtf!
ReplyDeleteI know all families are dysfunctional on some levels, but anyone woul be lucky to have you as a sister. You have it all figured out and are so dedicated. Just remember that<3
ReplyDeleteWoah that's one detailed post. As a lot of comments mention every family has it's "problems" but you are so nice and understanding I'm sure if you explain to your sister that you're worried maybe she would listen to you as you seem to know what you're talking about. Hope it works out okay. =)
ReplyDeleteDotty
xx
Ah, yes, those nasty anonymous commenters are just lovely little chicken-shits aren't they?
ReplyDeleteI'd be worried about my sister if her family was acting that way too. But then again, there really isn't anything you can do about it. That's the infuriating part. My adopted sister is in a similar relationship (minus the child), so i know exactly how you feel. She no longer even speaks to me for fear of making her failure-man angry by talking to someone who's not him. It's so awful, andi wish i had some tips for fixing it... but i really don't know what to do about it either. Just know that you're not alone.
Girl you're so funny. And I love your drawings. Also I really love your description of a food massacre. It makes it sound way more hardcore and legit that way. :)
ReplyDeletewow that guy is a major douche bag damn
ReplyDeleteVERY insightful analysis of the fam sitch. I totally know what you mean. I want to spank kids when they act shy like that. And I DO feel bad because it's TOTALLY not their fault-it's the parents fault. it IS abusive to treat a kid like a friend. and it's doing them a terrible disservice letting them act annoying because it makes people hate them and it's not fair.
ReplyDeletexo
lol!
ReplyDeleteI mean...*ahem*
the pictures...make me laugh even when I feel seriousness would be better suited. THAT BEING SAID..lol!
at least your mothership is well stocked with baked goods and irish family values?
there's not a whole lot you can do, aside from being supportive. my sister fucked my nephew up royally, parenting-wise. it kills me, but he's not mine, nor could I have done much more than I have done: treated him the way I felt was appropriate (i.e. discipline, expectations, etc) when he was with me.
in the end, everyone has to overcome their own issues anyway, no matter where/how they picked them up. your niece will be no different. don't feel too bad about it.
save these paint pics for her and give them to her when she turns 18. ;B
Always look forward to your posts :) You are so selfless Mich, holding together that family of yours! And your drawings are fabulous as always. I know what you mean about the kettle, I have the exact same one. I'm amazed how quickly plug-in kettles heat up, I must say. I lived the first 18 years of my life (okay, I wasn't using the stove at 8 years old, haha) boiling water on a 50 year old stove, so I'm quite impressed by the plug-in ones. They can always improve though!
ReplyDeleteGirl Scout cookies must contain crack because they're so freaking delicious! You can never have just one! I really commend your Big Sis #2 for stepping up and dong all the work- not only does she take care of everything, she works bringing home the money as well- that takes skills & patience! I bet your Failure-and-law was babied a lot by his mum when he was younger- but I guess that proves that some women are able to do more than the men! *cue appropriate feminist pic* :)
ReplyDeleteYou're right, we can't tell folks how to raise their kids but sometimes there is the uncontrolable urge to grab the mama and shake some sense into him. That co-dependant behavior will do neither of them any good when your neice gets older- though you probably already know that! Do you think your Big Sis #2 will be the overprotective type when your neice gets older? My mum was overprotective and it sucked! I love your drawing! My mom's the one in the top corner with the cross and bible, except my mom's blonde. :)
♥
This guys doesn't make any sense - my mom just had half-knee replacement in November. If you don't rehab you cannot use your new joint at all! Why bother having the surgery in the first place then?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I am totally with you about obnoxious anon commenters... again, if you don't like what we write, why bother reading!?
And lastly, I <3 you. Just thought you should know!
I was too busy being self-absorbed and angsty to tell you how gorgeous your body is earlier. But you are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteMy family rides Spaceship Dysfunctional as well. Though I'm the eldest child, so no nieces/nephews yet. Thank god. I cannot imagine my sibs ever ever ever being able to take care of a child.
<3
P.S. I put a cephalopod/pony picture on my blog today in your honor.
I just had to say "Mighty", since I nearly pissed myself laughing at your rampage pic. The Trogdor-Of-The-Kitchen tendencies know no logic, ne?
ReplyDeleteFailure-in-Law sounds like my little bro atm. They both need a good swift kick of the ass. Fucking up not only themselves but the women and kids who are unfortunate enough to be dependent on them. I want to beat some sense into both of them.
Oooohhhhh, Sunday you say? I'm totally gonna be hiding in wait behind the cabbage trees like a hungry entilodont waiting for the mailbitch next week!
Speaking of with, my 2-legged hot water bottle fucked off to MiniCirc for the weekend. I'd better go kill a tauntaun to keep warm :p
Have a good weekend, love! xoxoxoxoxxo
P.S.
ReplyDeleteWaitaminute. Was it that package with the tarot cards that left the USA on Sunday? So the DIDN'T get nommed by the restless Cantabrian earth? *Is hopeful* Lol, I'm dying of curiosity wondering which cards you chose. If they did get destroyed by the quake I could make up some replacement ones with Random-As pictures ^.^ (The creative juices are flowing like the Nile in flood atm)
Friday night love! <3
I just nominated you for versatile blogger award. Check out my blog for more details on it.
ReplyDelete:S Conundrum. That's the only response I can come up with to your sister's situation. Sorry it's no help. Does she know that you know that she isn't happy? Maybe if she did, it might break the "I'm fine! Perfectly fine!" seal a little, and allow for a small chink of possibility to open up?
ReplyDeleteWhy hasn't anyone done that for kettles yet? It seems so...obvious (now that you've mentioned it, that is)... It would be bloody brilliant. Preferably one that works through walls...so that by the time I got downstairs the water would be all a-ready for pouring....
ps. Your body is really quite beautiful. Be kind to it :)
xx
Your family and my in laws(husband included) can exchange stories in a competition to see whose family is the more crazy ones........
ReplyDeleteGenius! Remote Electric Kettle! WANT 0.0
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that your sister is going through that. My mom is a lot like that... married to a man who's horrible and her son (my brother) is spoiled as fuck. :P
ReplyDeleteAll you can do is love her and let her know that you're there when she's ready.