Wednesday, August 10, 2011

How My Date Went


...or, How To Make a Complete Fool of Yourself in 2 Hours or Less.


Before we talk about that....

Congratulations, kids. Nearly every single one of you is a sociopath. The only exceptions were Invisible Ninja, missinsanity, Sam, Lina, Jenn, and Honor. While none of you six delicious creatures are even within firing range of Normal, you are apparently not potential serial killers. :D

I had not anticipated so many fellow sociopaths. …Although the first time I heard that question, I answered that OBVIOUSLY the Sister was getting it on with the dude, so the Woman killed her in a fit of jealous rage. A friend and I heard the question at the same time and both gave that answer, and he is even more of a sociopath than I am (complete with a childhood of setting fires and killing small animals for fun).

Because I enjoyed the non-sociopath answers as well, you may all have a prize if you’d like one! Drop me a line in the affirmative, and sendeth your mailing address here, anonymously if you like. I have not gathered the prizes yet, but I’m sure I’ll find something exciting. There may be a dollar store excursion involved. 


Ok so date-recap! 

Boy texted me on Monday and asked if I wanted to do something Tuesday night. We decided on a movie, possible drinks/dinner if there was time. 

I managed to contain the anxiety until about half an hour before he arrived at my house. Then I began to panic. What the heck was I going to wear?!? I felt too fat for a skirt. Plus it was raining and humid out, so skirt seemed like a bad idea. But my 00 Express jeans felt a bit snug around the middle. 

Cue panic attack.

Eventually settled on the 00 jeans, a nice flowery camisole with a black cardigan, and at Little Sis's insistence, a nice pair of cute stripey high-heeled sandals. 

Despite the fact that I felt enormous, kind of wobbly in heels because I haven't worn really high heels in a while, and self-conscious because the rainy weather makes my hair frizzy, I managed to leave the house without having a nervous collapse.

Kazehana helped. <3

I get free movie tickets at certain cinemas, but of course none of those were playing any decent films at decent times, so we decided to go to the Palisades Mall. We ended up going to see Horrible Bosses (boy didn't seem too keen on Cowboys & Aliens, which would have been my first choice...). We had like half an hour to kill before the movie started, so we grabbed a couple drinks at the bar/restaurant near the theatre. 

Boy is quite the gentleman. I did not open a door at all on our date. Even the car door--he practically flew out of the car when we got to the mall to open my door before I could do it myself. And at the bar he even pulled out my chair before I sat down. This is a very nice change from the last bunch of boys I've gone on dates with, all of whom more or less tried to molest me on the first date. 

So at the bar we each had a shot of Jameson and a beer, and then I got a diet soda before we went into the movie. I should have known better, because even without extra beverages I need to pee like every 15 minutes. I tried to hold it, but towards the last quarter of the film, I needed the loo.

I hate running out of the theatre in the middle of a film. Even when I try to be stealth, I feel like there's a spotlight on me.

Remember in that last post, how I bemoaned the fact that the Universe really likes to kick you when you're already down? Well, the Universe, or God, or Satan, or perhaps all of them decided to take the opportunity presented by me attempting to leave the theatre as quietly as possible. 

The heel of my shoe broke. The heel of the left shoe. And my foot had fallen asleep. 

When you have sprained, broken, and tendon-f*cked your ankle as many times as I have, a disruption such as a broken shoe is not something from which you can quickly recover.

The heel fell out from under me. My ankle then fell out from under me. This happens somewhat frequently (I fall down a lot because my ankle just randomly collapses). But when walking across the front of a crowded movie theatre, you kind of don't want to fall down. So in attempting to remain upright, I managed to make my fall to the floor about 100x as dramatic. 

-_________________-


Other than the epic fail, the date was rather nice. And boy wants to do something on the weekend, so hopefully that means I haven't scared him away with my total lack of coordination. 

32 comments:

  1. lmao! omg im nearly crying with laughter! sorry! not at you but at the situation! ive done that soooo many times! but the boy wants to go out again! YAY! and Horrible bosses is an awesome movie :) the cat made me jump. much love! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo, i can see why that was embarassing! you obviously made a good impression though as he wants to see you again! :) xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes i hate public falling even without the drinks, broken heel, double yikes at least the boy thought more of you and thinks you're incredibly charming or at least entertaining like dinner theatre.
    Sounds like the date was an overall success, hope more to come

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the most adorable (and a little hilarious) first impression. That's the kinda story that comes up in a couple of years, and you both laugh about it. I hope you do something epic this weekend withboy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA!!!!! did anyone help you though?? Jeeze. I can't even attempt high heels. I WANT to wear them too they're so sassy and femme. But whenever I even TRY them on I can't stand up straight. I like, don't have the muscles. Maybe I should practice. I have some I got for a wedding I went to in july. I think the style is called "wedge" so they don't have a pointy heel. But they are HIGH. I should wear those bad boys around the house just for the hay hay...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are much too cute to scare the boys away! Lol, I'm sure you handled it with great poise AM I RIGHT?! I'm glad you've got yourself a gentleman there, you deserve a sweetie <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilariously recapped! I bet he got a kick out of it :) Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my goodness, that was hilarious... Trust me, Ive done worse (like dramatically running down stairs in front of 30 people and thinking I was at the bottom step when I wasn't *face plant*) the boy seems sweet =P

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG... but if he wants to see you again ..he probably thought that thing with the shoe was adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. urg. My ankle gives out on me all the time too. It's so embarrassing, I feel your pain.

    The boy seems sweet, I'm sure he thought it was cute and I'm glad he wants to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol :3 aw. boy is quite the gentleman, and obviously very into you!

    plus, broken heel...dramatic falling...

    this date was obviously a success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omigawsh! That's so embarrassing! But I couldn't help but laugh, I'm so sorry. Murphy's Law lives on. At least you had a blast! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it weird I'm annoyed at myself for not guessing the sociopath answer? Haha! But gotta admit believing I have a right to kill in self-defense (esp if fighting off a rape) is not really sociopathic. Tho I'm sure some might disagree.

    Yay for a good time with the boy. That does suck about the heel but you put it very humorously here. Love the cartoons, they are epic as always. And maybe the universe gets bored of making stars and planets and says "I wonder how I can annoy my little buddy Mich today?"

    ReplyDelete
  14. YIKES! Glad it all went well other than the fall. He sounds like a keeper. Very rare these days that guys will be so polite.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, is your ankle okay now?? :( You poor thing! I know how you feel if you have to get up during a movie, you do that whole half crouched half rushing Quasimodo walk to escape and end up drawing more attention that if you just walked out normally. I love that first pic too! That is exactly me if I have to go out somewhere, even down to the pile of clothes with the cat on top! :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahaha XD i always fall over in front of hot guys =| it seems to work somehow though. one time i got a scar above my ankle which lasted for months and months. that was embarrassing...

    xXxXx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post was full of LOLs...your pee problem reminds me of Lily in HIMYM. No idea what you could do about the coordination/weak ankles... calcium pills? Flip-flops? Oooh beach date! Do that next time :)

    This guy sounds awesome--kind, chivalrous, understanding. He's raising the bar for all of us. He must be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  18. HAAZAH I'm a crazy killer...I knew I had it in me! Congrats on the date going well. Btw, heels = bad. At least for me, I look like a retarded giraffe...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh honey, I'm so glad that I'm not the only one with an aptitude for falling on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ouch. Just ouch. I'm glad Kazehana was there for you!

    Man, 00 is a thing of dreams to me. My size 14 motorbike leathers are snug enough to make stairs and gear-changes uncomfortable now :'(

    I'm buckling down for the long haul back to under 60kg :''(

    Lol, I did make the toffee from scratch, but I didn't simmer it long enough coz it was getting late. It never really set, so I binned it. It's a pity, coz toffee make with spiced vinegar is something truly wonderful!

    I should definitely send you a copy of the Edmonds' Cookbook. It's the NZ culinary bible.

    Love <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. hahaahah omg I know that's bad but your illustrations just make the whole thing seem adorable and cute and funny which I'm sure is how the boy saw it.

    Proud to be a socio-path xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohmygod. Now I'll have more things to be terrified of when I think about leaving the house...

    I can't count the times that I've been getting ready for a date and end up with the contents of my closet and dresser on the floor and me in tears. Ridiculousness.

    Missed you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. CONGRATS and btw I think with all the door opening and chair pulling, he is a decent dude. I'm sure you were amazingly hot in whatever you wore, heels are always bitches though.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. This guy sounds amazing! And some people find klutziness to be endearing, so don't be too embarrassed about tripping. He still wants to see you, after all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. No, no! That doesn't sound like a bad date at all! He obviously REALLY likes you and we ALL embarass ourselves from time to time. No worries. <3

    PS. I love Palisades mall :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, Sweet Mich,
    Only you could have pulled off that fall with such class! i loved, absolutely loved, your drawings of the evening...in your words "mighty"!

    The Boy must have thought you were just adorable, another date on the way! You are one lovely Lady!

    Cannot wait to hear more!

    Thank you for your sweet e-mail.

    xoxo,
    tracy.....the Fatty

    Ha, ha, verification "saners"

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dude you fucking SLAY me! And what an awesome first date story! You need to have a good one to regale the grandkids with ;) .....

    Seriously, boys with any brains at all (which I assume includes this boy, by virtue of the fact that you wanted to go out with him) love a cute girl who does random adorable things, clumsy or graceful or anything in between. You are a keeper, never forget it.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. i just love your crazy pics!! and you must have done something right :-) the boy wants to see you again! thank you for the comment! and thanks for the tip :-) have a great weekend too!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for being the start of something beautiful X

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hiya, Mich! Thanks for all the love on my blog. You're beautiful.

    Sorry about the date fall, but sounds like things are going well with the boy. Who WOULDN'T like you?!

    It's funny how you and I tend to be about the same weight a lot of the time. I think we were both at 108 there for a minute. Now we're low 100's. Cool beans...kinda....ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  31. lol o my goodness.. I would have been so embarrassed! Everyone falls though, but I know first impressions on a first day are a big deal but the guy seems like a sweet heart so I highly doubt you have scared him off:p if there is a future I'm sure it will just be a funny story to laugh about later on!

    ReplyDelete
  32. o mich love u so much crazy
    i saw horrible bosses its good funnier then i though it would b
    and thats y i dont wear heels my knee is to fuck up for that and im to much of a klutz so yeah

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.