Friday, July 1, 2011

Are you sure, Father? There's cocaine in it!

You may have noticed that on the side bar, there is now a new page--I'm working on putting all my recipes up. Do any of you have recipe pages? Drop me a comment and I'll put a link to yours on mine!!! So far I've only got Dani and Olivia Lee...

*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~*
I haven't done this in a really long time, so...........


Some low-cal snack ideas!

This first one is particularly genius. I've been bringing hummus and lettuce to work for a long time, but got sick of hummus a few weeks ago. 
(I get Cedar's gluten free in either tomato or garden vegetable, because I'm the only one at home who eats it and they come in pretty small containers.)

But I got sick of it, so had the brilliant idea of getting some salsa to bring to work instead. 

'Tis a pretty awesome snack at 5 cals per tablespoon. And I started out dipping iceberg lettuce in it instead of crisps/potato chips. 

But I'm seriously so sick of lettuce I could die. And I can hardly eat crisps.

Carbs?!? No thanks. As y'all probably know by now, I try to avoid carbs at all costs. Because if I give in to just one small carby food, I will face a militaristic attack from all sides, by every carbohydrate in the house, and I can't handle it. 


Then last night I came up with this genius idea:

Hard to tell what it is in a photo--It's that rice paper broken up into potato-chip-sized pieces. Since one big sheet of the paper is only ~30ish calories, it makes a pretty good replacement for crisps. Especially since it takes a while to chew it, thus making your snack last longer. 

Moving on....
I am a beef jerky addict. These are my favs:
Bridgeford original beef jerky - 50 cals per ounce

Bridgford Turkey jerky - 70 cals per ounce

and Jack Links beef tender whatsits - 60 cal per ounce

Delicious!


And look, SAFE bread! Low cal and low carb.

Weight watchers rye - 45 cals a slice. They do other kinds as well, whole grain and multi grain and bagels and junk. 


Pepperidge Farm also makes yummy low cal bread. I made today's lunch with the Multi-Grain. I think they call those low-cal breads "Light Style," or something like that. I had two slices, toasted, and I had cut up some pickles to go on top:


I think I've mentioned these before: Dry roasted edamame is the shizzle.
The salted and the wasabi ones are 130 cals per 1/4 cup. The goji blend is 120. 

And...
Where would we be without coffee? I shudder to think. I would like to kiss the person who came up with the idea of making coffee taste like snack food. This is my newest:

Entemann's crumb-cake flavoured coffee. Amazing.

Those Keurig machines are an environmental disaster (they don't make the K-cups recyclable, so unless you're a psychopath like I am and you rip out the insides of the K-cups when you're done so you can recycle the plastic bit, they're all headed straight for the nearest landfill). But they make some delicious coffees. My favs are Green Mountain's Island Coconut, and Wild Mountain Blueberry. 
You can actually get the blueberry one in regular ground coffee. 

New England Coffee Co. also makes a nice Blueberry, like the one I got for Cinnamon. And she had me stalking their website the other day, during which time I discovered that they make some truly magical flavours. I've ordered the chocolate raspberry and maple cinnamon French toast ones to try. (Don't worry Cinna, I'll be sending you samples <3). 


On the opposite end of the subject of snacks, you would do well to avoid the following:

I figured the Walden Farms stuff wouldn't taste that amazing. I mean how can you possibly make no-calories peanut butter? But I thought it might at least be edible, so I bought a jar of the peanut butter, and a jar of the fake Fluff (had to get 2 items so I could use a coupon and get free samples of all their salad dressings and their chocolate syrup). 

OH MY GOD. 

Disgusting. Like really. I wish I had a video from the night friend and I tried it. I spat my spoonful of peanut butter out. He started gagging and nearly vomited on my couch. The Fluff and salad dressings were all similarly horrific. But the chocolate syrup actually isn't that awful, if you can handle the chalky aftertaste. 

Personally, I'd rather just have my 20-cal hot cocoa, or use cocoa powder and Splenda. It tastes much better. 

Boss actually let me out early today for the holiday weekend. I'm off to the gym now (what's new?). And bringing some homework with me to do on the elliptical:
It's almost finished and ready for Amazon!! :D Just one final edit for grammar and whatnot, and then finished typesetting once Elk is finished illustrating, and it will be ready to go. I'm so excited I can barely sit still.


Hope you all have a good start to your weekend! <3

20 comments:

  1. For dips: toast some kale in the oven! Supposedly pretty yummy and super low-calorie. I have a very tiny recipe page, but hopefully it grows soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! What awesome snacks! I love the coffee! OMG, Cinnamon crumb cake? It be the new evil, man! The one you sent me is just epic! I'm trying to stretch out the 'happy'! Thank you so much, I can't wait to try the others. You're a gem!

    In my opinion, 0 calorie = 0 taste = 0 fun!

    I'm so excited for the book. It's going to be amazing, I just know it! Love you, M. <3. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lettuce and salsa!
    I have a recipy page too:
    http://dreaming-skinny.blogspot.com/p/recipies.html
    It's been a bit neglected recently, but I'm hoping to add to it over the summer :)
    Lottie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrots in salsa. Sounds slightly odd, but I swear by it. It's delicious.

    I now have wonderful snack ideas. Thanks :)

    I do all sorts of singing; I was in musicals all through high school, I do some professional liturgical singing, and I partake in the occasional hippie wino guitar jamfest.I dabbled in opera, but I hated being a soprano. Alto suits me just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, I don't have a recipe file, but I did update my 'menu' page with some pretty pictures.

    http://sincerelycinnamonbrown.blogspot.com/p/diner-menu.html

    All healthy food, I promise! <3. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your snack and food ideas were great, I'm definitely going to give some of them a try! I always love your little art for each post, I find it delightfully hilarious. Hahah.

    I'm looking forward to all the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic snack ideas, Mich! best of luck with your book :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. DUDE! I love jerky! Try the Buffalo jerky from Trader Joe's, sooo good! I've got a lil recipe tab on my blog. It's growing tho!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two words for this post:

    Food Porn.

    OMG we have Jack Links here! I think so >.> Gotta find out how many grams to an ounce first. Curse the imperial system!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. i so have to update my recipe page havent in awhile
    yay for boss lettingu out early
    i hate retail gotta work today but manage was nice gave me sunday andmonday off
    thanx for the snack idea i dont eat omost of those htings but it gives ya a glimpse into whatu eat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hah, Mich you are so sweet for the link! Thanks doll. I'll have to put something new up soon. Thanks for all the ideas today, I need to try that edemame! I also really like Chex Mix, and I think thats 120 for a half cup. Hard to refrain from eating the whole bag, but I used to be able to do it! Have a great day darling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been sneaking in lettuce (without feeling like I'm eating lettuce) by using whole romaine leaves instead of tortillas to wrap up cold cuts/sandwich fillings. You add leafy greens and subtract carbs and cals, so it's a great substitution.

    I don't do food porn (er, "recipe pages") right now. Obsessing over recipes just makes me want to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes I think it's unfair how much no-cals or fat-free stuff you have over there in america. I never see that much stuff here in germany. We only have low fat milk, cheese and diet coke. /: boring! and no wonder germany is the second fattest country in europe.

    thanks so much for you support my dear<3

    about the AIM thing, I have an ICQ account which allows me access to ICQ and AIM. This means, you can see my real account with my name and you could easily find me on facebook. /:
    It's not that I don't trust the blogger girls, it's just that I don't want to show my indenty so the real-life persons can't find out about the blogger-bella.
    If AIM winns Camille's survey, I have to find a way to create a seperate account for AIM so I can use ICQ and AIM at the same time [my boyfriend would get suspicious otherwise :D].

    tanks again for your supporting words, you may not know, but it's making me feel alot better. If you wouldn't be that far away and afraid of touching people, I would hug you now(;

    xoxo<3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a recipe page up, but it's only got 4 or 5 so far.

    Calorie-free marshmallow fluff? I don't trust anything that's calorie-free other than water and Diet Coke, haha.

    And rice paper instead of chips - you are officially a genius. Yes, an absolute maven of all things wonderful.

    Much love, xoxoxox!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Calorie free peanut butter? Sounds highly unnatural, right up there with Tom Waits :)

    Thank you for the salsa idea, sweetheart :D
    Saved me from going on a huge carb binge.

    Momma bear loves her carbs *_*

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooo Underwood being illustrated and published? Yayayayayayayayay!! Sooooo gonna pimp it out to everyone I know.
    I need to find some rice paper. I've never had it before.
    I do have Jack Link's mmmm yummy. I like their turkey jerky and their teriyaki beef jerky mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Envy you! Americans has a wide variety of choice. Ok, maybe not a good thing. I would love to try the beef jerky or edamame. Good luck with your book!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips, thank you! The edamame beans are right up my street, I eat plain boiled ones at least 3 times a week :) mmmmm. I'm also jealous of the coffee flavours, we only really have nespresso over here and then you have to add syrup for any flavour...which = calories! Fingers crossed for your book! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a total derp, I can't figure out what link is to your recipes! If you wanted to point it out to me, that would be fab. ^_^;;

    ReplyDelete
  20. :D book book book!!! Today is a designated drawing day, by the way, since I'm home alone with the dog and it's POURING down.
    I've never tried roasted edamame. The word itself has yet to cease to amuse me: edamamamameee...
    ahem.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.