Friday, February 3, 2012

Using keys to gouge expletives onto another's vehicle is a sign of trust and friendship.

So remember that time I cleaned out some of my hoard and gave stuff away? Well there was one thing I saved until now, so some of you shall be getting something in the mail quite soon... With that in mind, if you would like to join my address book, you can send me your info (anonymously, if you like), and thus be included whenever I send out random things like Christmas cards or other little goodies. If you join in the next couple of days, you'll get something over the next week or so! ;)


Here's a fun recipe that I saw one day watching some cooking show on PBS:
Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Glaze Icing


You will need:
- Muffin pans
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 or 3 lemons
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- about 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar


To make:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour the muffin pan(s)--depending on how big you want the cupcakes, you can use a tin for 6 giant ones, or (what I prefer) a tin for 12 smaller ones, plus I usually end up with enough to fill another tin of 6 cupcakes. I also use cupcake cups instead of greasing the pan because it's easier than risking all the cupcakes getting stuck to the pan, but you don't have to use them. 


- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar and butter. Add the eggs one at a time, blending the first one in before adding the second one. 


- In a smaller bowl, mix together the yogurt, vanilla, and the zest and juice of one lemon. 


- In another smaller bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder and salt.

- Add a little bit of the flour mixture to the butter and sugar and mix it in well. Then add a little of the yogurt/lemon mixture and mix it well, and then keep alternating adding a little at a time until everything is combined. 


- Using a small spoon, put the batter into the muffin tins and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes (a little longer if you make larger cupcakes), or until a toothpick stuck in the middle of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool in the tins for about 10-15 minutes, and then let them cool completely on a baking rack. If you used paper cupcake cups, take those off all the cupcakes. When they're completely cooled down, move on to the icing...


- In a small bowl, stir the confectioners sugar with the juice from 2 or 3 lemons. You want the icing to be pretty runny, so use as much lemon juice as you need to make sure it's properly drippy. 


- Then drizzle the icing over the cupcakes. Delish!
I stole that photo from PBS because my camera ate my photo of the final product...
If you make smaller cupcakes like I do, it usually yields about 18 of them, which makes each cupcake with the lemon glaze about 160 - 170 calories. 


22 comments:

  1. I think I saw that episode of Everyday Baking, I watch that show religiously. Those cupcakes look damn good!

    LOL at Ol' Drippy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that recipe Mitch. Since my parents are away for a while right now I'm sorely tempted to try and make this. Tempting photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New banner is awesome by the way, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesus christ they look good!!!!!!! OMG....I want some NOW! Send me some?? :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this recipe once a couple of years ago. At some point, I blacked out and later, woke up in a ended at Catholic mission hospital in South American being looked after by nuns. Apparently, I had attempted to steal a plane, start my own religion and over throw a small, heavily armed Colombian drug cartel, all without wearing pants. They found me by the side of the road, muttering about Cheez Whiz, coffee grounds and U2's Joshua Tree being the dirge of the apocalypse. Long story, short, it turns out I was trying using cocaine instead of confectioners sugar. Rookie mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual your Epic Skills in the kitchen leave me cowering in pure intimidation, Oh Draconic Demon Baker of the Lake.

    Chucky has requested Brownies (Non-Herbal) as her Bday present, and I have NO IDEA how to make brownies. Do you have any good foolproof recipes for cackhanded gaijin bakers? Brownies aren't that big here, and I don't trust Google's recipes XD

    I hope you're having a great weekend and the roads are ice-free and safe for you <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. My girlfriend actually doesn't care for cupcakes. That's why I tried your brownie recipe. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like cupcakes, but those look amazing. :3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, lemon cupcakes! Suddenly, I have the urge to put the kettle on! YUM!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks yummy! I'm going to go raid the fridge now. There's a tin of sherbet in there somewhere and it's got my name on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just had some mini lemon poppyseed muffins from Paradise so I'm kinda close to licking my computer screen atm.

    I couldn't believe your sweetness when I got the Christmas card. You do a rotten impression of the "coldhearted bitch" thing some times, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bah, you have a mailing list! That is so exciting. I've enlisted.

    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well these are fucking magical. omnomnomnomnom. You're a sweetheart, if a crazy one. Well, we all are. Wait, who said that? 0_o

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look delish! I probably won't try making them though, the other day my roomie made crack brownie-cupcakes (crack because they were ridiculously addictive) and it took all I had not to demolish the entire batch in one massive baked goods binge session. It would break my good streak, I haven't binged in so long! But I shall salivate at your cupcakes through the screen ;) <3!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have my address, so send me a cupcake!!!

    (BTW...enjoying "Underwood" very much! Book report will be turned in soon.)

    xoxoxo, cd

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I make the cupcakes there wont be any cause I love eating the mixture more then the finished products!

    Oh and just a random question but when you mail people stuff does it have your address on it as the return address. Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooo your blog has a mobile version! Squeeeeee! Sooo much easier to load on my phone now! Thank you!

    Those cupcakes do look yummy. Tho I'm back to thinking about that cupcake factory from thinkgeek and wanting to get one so I don't have to bother with the oven.
    Me lazy! And impatient!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the encouragement Mich - I'm starting to just feel really stressed and frazzled over all of this emotional manipulation (just give me my damn stuff back, it's been more than a month, you can find time to go to the post office, Juan!) and now school is getting busier. My first few days at the law office were perfectly low-key. I have the crazy simple but time consuming job of opening/closing files, putting the folders together, typing the cards for the catalogue. It's mostly a traffic/criminal law firm with 10 lawyers, so the volume/turnover is pretty high. So far people seem nice, especially my supervisor, the office manager, which is a relief.

    Again, thanks for the kind words, its nice to know someone cares a smidge about me <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, never let it be said that I won't take free stuff. I'll hit the link and give up the info!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look so good! I'm actually going to do some baking today so I hope to make them too. I'm also just about to order your book, I have to say the biography made me laugh so much! I'll let you know what I think of it, are you going to publish anymore of your fiction? I can remember going through some of the one you have online and being in awe of how well you write! <3

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.