Sunday, December 29, 2013

It's too late. It was already in the glass, not in the jar.

All the apple pie recipes (the beverage, not the dessert)  found on the internet involve cider, apple juice, and a ton of brown sugar. This is a disgrace. So before apple cider season comes to an end in the supermarket, I have decided to share my apple pie recipe. 

BECAUSE IT IS GLORIOUS. 

The following is the recipe for ~2 mason jars' worth of apple pie.

You will need:
- 4 cups apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ground spices, specifically cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- moonshine, or if you do not know anyone who makes moonshine, a bottle of Everclear will do (grain alcohol, 190 proof). Depending on your tolerance, you'll need 1/4 cup to 1 cup. I shall elaborate on this below. 

To make it:

- In a saucepan, heat the apple cider with the cinnamon sticks, vanilla, and the spices. I don't measure anything; I just eyeball it. You'll find your own preferences with trial and error. I use about 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and allspice, and then a pinch of nutmeg, pinch of clove, and slightly larger pinch of ginger.

- DO NOT let the cider/spices come to a boil. Heat it at a medium or just above medium temperature until it's just barely starting to simmer and/or steam. Turn the heat down to low and let it heat up for about 20 minutes, stirring with a whisk about every 5 minutes.

- Turn the heat off and take it off the stove. Let it sit for about 10 - 15 minutes. 

- Before you even think about opening the bottle of Everclear, make sure all sources of flames and heat have been blown out or cooled down. Seriously. Unless you want a crater where your kitchen used to be, NO OPEN FLAMES. 

- Add the moonshine or Everclear to the cider in the pan and stir it with the whisk. If you're making this to share with other people at a family gathering, party, etc., I would suggest using 1/4 - 1/2 cup of alcohol, so no one gets alcohol poisoning. If it's just for you and you know your limits/tolerance, you can go up to 1 cup for every 4 cups of cider. 

- Once the apple pie has cooled enough that you can put your hand on the saucepan without getting burned, pour the apple pie into mason jars. Keep the cinnamon sticks, placing one in each jar. If you like, you can use a strainer to strain out the gloop that the spices leave on the bottom. Personally I like leaving the gloop, as I feel that it strengthens the flavour of all the spices while the apple pie sits in the jars.

- Let the mason jars cool completely before putting them in the fridge. 

- Occasionally, your apple pie may take on a jello-ish consistency once it's been the fridge for a while. I have no idea why this happens. To avoid it, give the jar a good shake before you open it to pour a drink. 

- Enjoy!


8 comments:

  1. That sounds like a glorious amount of alcohol. I didn't even know that apple pie was also a drink. I fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had moonshine. Ever.

    That needs to be remedied.

    THIS SHALL BE MY FIRST NEW BEVERAGE EXPLORATION OF 2014.

    As soon as the bottleshops open again I shall be acquiring some apple cider (Because I am NOT going to do this with scrumpy. I have standards) and a variation of moonshine.

    Thank you, oh My Lady of Dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just received a fruitcake that has been soaked in rum for, like, the last two decades. If we survive it, I might try this recipe as a morning-after remedy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhh i definitely need to try this! i love apple pie so much, i'm just not much of a baker! thank you and happy new year :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S.
    I talked to the DM chick who makes epic homebrew and she can make me some moonshine.

    *Rubs hands together* This is gonna be gooood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the 5th....i'm worried about you sweetie. i hope you are okay.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still here, just not much to say....

      Delete
  7. WHY have I never heard of this amazing drink before. I don't give a damn if it's not the festive season anymore, I'm making it. xxx

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.