Thursday, January 12, 2012

Did you say "Abe Lincoln"?

OMG
...although I'm not sure the child should be reading anything related to Sookie Stackhouse...
but YAY, a child I've never met likes my book! :D




I've been kind of quiet, I know.... I apologize. But it's actually for a POSITIVE reason this time!! I've been writing up a friggin storm in the fiction world. After finishing the first rough edit of the fairy book, I was finally free to devote all of my attention to Book 3. I've been working on that one on and off for over a year, always forcing myself to back off from that project to finish the fairy book first. But now it's all about Book 3, which I'm pretty sure is the best thing I've ever written. 


With that in mind, I am in desperate need of guinea pigs to read the finished fairy book!! Any of you who read Underwood interested in reading Book 2??


I also had a few side stories/notes I've been playing with since the fairy book got started, and over the last several days one of those has actually turned into something that could well end up a novel. I'm not questioning it at this point--I so rarely get such intense bursts of inspiration that I do not question them when they happen. 


So since I have been neglecting blog-writing, I'll share a super secret recipe instead......




Mich's Epic Brownies!
(a.k.a., Coconut Curry Brownies)


From this point on, I must ask y'all not to question me. They're delicious. I promise. My friend's mother once consumed a total of 17 of them in one day (they were tiny, but still...). Whenever I tell people the ingredients, they're like "omg ewwww, really?!?" But the brownies are AMAZING; I swear.


You will need:
for the brownies...
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 - 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips (~6 ounces)

- 1 cup melted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 can coconut milk


for the icing...
- confectioners sugar
- 1/2 can coconut milk

- 2-4 tbsp. melted butter
- curry powder


To make them:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla. 


Beat in the eggs one at a time, and then add the 1/2 can coconut milk. 


In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, and salt and mix them together. Then add the curry powder.


Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar/butter mix, until it's well blended.


In a saucepan, melt the chocolate chips on a low heat.


Stir that into the brownie mix. Once it's all mixed together, pour the mix into a lightly greased 9" x 13" pan. I like smaller, denser/fudgier brownies, so I make it a pretty thin layer in the pan, and thus have enough mix left over to also fill a 9" x 9" pan.


Bake between 30 - 40 minutes, until a toothpick stuck into the middle comes out clean.


To make the icing, just mix together the 1/2 can of coconut milk, with 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, 2 tbsp. melted butter, and a sprinkle of curry powder. You can add more sugar and/or butter until it's the consistency you'd like. I like to drizzle it on the brownies rather than ice them properly, so I tend to use less sugar and butter, and more of the coconut. I also like to make the icing a bit more exciting with food colouring, and then sprinkles. 
that's half of the batch--each brownie is about 2" x 2" (bite size)
I made these for New Year's Eve. The entire batch was annihilated in under an hour. By 7 people. 



22 comments:

  1. God those look so good.........*drools* Have missed you!! Blog more often :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book 2? YES, PLEASE!!! Does want! I want to read them all!

    Those brownies look fantastic! I love that they have curry powder in them! YUM!!! It's like chocolate and chili, it just works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to get my arse over to your fiction sight and do some serious reading now before uni work comes to haunt me for the next few months. Over the weekend, I swear I will do some reading! I haven't read Underwood yet (uber religious mom will not allow anything about magic or such to enter our home) but I would love to be the guinea pig to read your fairy book! And those brownies look delectable! Gotta give those a try soon!

    P.S. I've finished half of your pink scarf! It's coming along nicely- I'm doing a broken rib stitch in bulky pink yarn and it's super warm. However, I ran out of yarn and I have to wait another week or so before purchasing more. Just know that your scarf is underway!

    P.S.S. If you send me a feather quill, I will freaking adore you! I've looked at hobby stores around here and feather quills are not to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That super secret recipe sounds so awesome Mich! Great to hear you've been feeling good recently, I still need to read your first book but as soon as I get the time I will, I bet it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm going to make these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those brownies look so gooooood! Do want. Do want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No I didn't say "Abe Lincoln", I said HEY BLINKIN!!
    XD

    fairies?!?! gimme! I'll send you a message on that anonymous thingy on your website. I loved Underwood! You need to write a book a week to keep me entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I only just started following you, had no idea you wrote books. Keen to read =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG A brownie recipies that doesn't use USA-specific ingredients!

    I'm so making these to celebrate signing my permanent new hours contract or (Hush hush) maybe even getting my dream house with Miles.

    Cucumbers are evil, they have no use on this earth except to take up valuable plate room that could be spent on things that actually HAVE flavour! D:

    Oooooooh!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=231P5FGP06M
    I WANT ISIS WINGS! How do I justify them? TELL ME!! :p

    I hope you're well. Mey the muse continue to flow!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear insperation is hitting hard! Its always fun when that happens! I'd be interested in reading the second book... but I haven't read the first one yet.

    The brownies look fantastic! If I had that tray of them those seven people wouldn't eat them in an hour... i'd finish them off in a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you've finished the second book. I bought Underwood after Christmas and haven't read it yet. I bout 5 books from bloggers over the holiday break and I'm working my way through one right now. You're next on the list

    ReplyDelete
  12. Samurai Lincoln? lol...

    I'm reading Underwood now and if i can finish it by Monday (fingers crossed) I will totally be your guinea pig for the fairy book or any other book you'd like an opinion on. However, you might wish to see the advice of someone who knows more about fairies than 'um...they restore Link's health'

    You have fans! And they're not someone you know? That's awesome! Where did that 'thank you' card come from?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Curry powder...?

    . . . .

    I'll see what I can do... Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, I have no idea HOW I missed the first part of your post the first time I read it 0.0;

    HJBVBFGERKGFVEHJBFCJHDB OMFG THAT IS EPIC!

    :D

    A kid you've never met loves you book. You totally ROCK!

    I wanted to answer your questions with thought and care and pictures, which means that since I'm down 3 people's shifts I haven't even had time to look at them. Deb is back from her holiday to the USA on the 29th, so it may take that long for me to answer them >.<

    On the bright side: As soon as Reggo and bills are out of the way this month I'm putting some extra-shift money aside for Underwood. You'd better make sure there's a copy left for me! :p

    Would you believe that the ACC Levy has put my reggo for 3 months well over $100!!!1! And that's for the SMALLEST engine-capacity bike. The bigger your engine; the higher your levy fee. (For a car, 3 months' registration is $70!) My theory is that they can't make as much on us with petrol taxes, so they make us pay through the nose for vehicle registration. Assholes. /rage

    In the meantime, I'm giving you a little something for being so frickin' cool.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I swear, brownies are the most POWERFUL weapon on this earth. I'm trying your recipe next!

    WEMAKEPLANS

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm making these brownies and fattening up my family. They look so so good. with a little apple cider maybe.. mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm actually going to have to try those brownies. I'm intrigued by the curry powder. If there's something odd in something, it kind of automatically makes me want to make it.

    That's brilliant about the note!!! Horay for unknown children!!
    Glad to hear you've been on an inspiration buzz :D

    ps. I should name them, shouldn't I?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Curry Powder makes everything better!

    I was once at a Fluff festival, and...

    (OMG. I guess I should explain that it was a festival all about Marshmallow Fluff, which is a somewhat regional delicacy here in the Northeast. It had nothing to do with anything else you're thinking.)

    Anyway, there were various tables set up where people served samples of dishes they made using Marshmallow Fluff (which is what it says, Marshmallow sort of fluffed up full of air, a sticky sweet white goop) and one of the folks was serving a concoction of Marshmallow Fluff, canned tuna, and hot sauce.

    Yeah, I know. But it was freakin' delicious! Put a batch of that stuff together, hand me a sleeve of saltines and something to get the goop onto the saltines (aside from my hands, because I hate getting sticky), and I'll eat all of it you put in front of me. Just like these brownies, probably, right?

    ReplyDelete
  19. mmmm curry...also T_T because I want to taste these and I'm allergic to the very essence of all their deliciousness. when you come, you may have to give me some kind of baking tutorial.

    also, aunt regina needs to tell that kid's mom to put a pg-13 barcode lock on that kid's library card. sookie stackhouse?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oven Temp Note:

    For those in countries that use the Metric System, set oven to 180* for making thee scrummy treats!

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.