Wednesday, December 12, 2012

ain't gonna listen to my own noise even though I love the sound


I was thinking about something the other day--Idk if it was like this for everyone else, but when I was in high school, your friends were your friends because you all listened to the same music. At least, in the beginning of high school. 

The group I hung out with was pretty big, made up of all the *freaks*, but because there were so many of us, we had like cliques within the clique: the kids with the giant JNCO pants who listened to "punk," the mopey super-goths who listened to a lot of Nine Inch Nails, the hippies who worshiped all things Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, and then my group, which was kind of like an all-of-the-above mix plus the Holy Quadrangle we all bowed before (Slayer/Tool/Rob Zombie/Marilyn Manson) and a lot of firestarting/homemade explosives (we were simply dubbed the Metalheads). 

Music was our lives. There was a lot more life and soul in the music industry back then (late 1990's). You would hear Nirvana and Rob Zombie on the radio between Backstreet Boys songs. You'd see Marilyn Manson videos coming in at the top 3 on MTV's video request show (what was that called? Total Request Live?), which I thought was hilarious because this would come right after this. Now I can't even listen to the radio. I haven't listened to any radio station other than WQXR in like 2 years because they all make me want to gouge out my eardrums with a skewer.

I'm not even sure what kind of music most of my current friends listen to. We only ever seem to discuss music we have in common, like Queen (but then seriously how can you not like Queen??). As for everything else my friends listen to...... I'm not really that fond of their taste in music.

Not that I can talk because at this point:

Even if I don't like their music, I'm still fascinated by other people's tastes in music. Kind of the same way I'm fascinated by other people's houses, because none of their tastes are exactly like mine. Like I'm fascinated by the fact that people can actually listen to modern "jazz", or rap (I love Snoop Dogg as a person, but I do not love his music), neither of which I can listen to for more than 10 seconds without wanting to run screaming from the room. Lots of people feel the same way about my affinity for opera or country music (ACTUAL country music, not that shite they're peddling as country music these days).

I am oft accused of being a "music snob" because I make the distinction between modern jazz and the delicious jazz music of old. And because I absolutely adore classical music, and because I refuse to listen to popular radio stations. Sometimes that bothers me because I am not a music snob at all; I will listen to whatever you want to play for me. I LOVE getting music from people, because I am constantly looking for new music to enjoy. My BFF Jeanne sent me a load of mixed CD's in the post recently and I was SO EXCITED because most of it was artists I had never heard of before.

I'm not sure where I was going with this and I totally just lost my train of thought.

Whatevs.


What about all of you? What music makes you feel high on life?





(...Once again I feel the need to apologize to commenters. In trying to catch up with my commenters' blogs, I have passed some of them by.
It doesn't mean I don't love you. It means I still can't read blogs that are triggering in the ED realm of things. I'm actually doing pretty ok in the ED-recovery department--mainly because at the moment I just don't give a sh*t--and I don't want to risk damaging my progress.
<3)



14 comments:

  1. Ahhh...."Night at the Opera.'
    I liked 'Bohemian Rhapsody' lonnnnggggg before 'Wayne's World.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your taste in music was amazing back then Mich and still is now, I love Rob Zombie's music a whole lot too although I don't think that I became friends with people because we had similar music taste. Don't worry about commenting too much either, we understand if you're busy. You left me a really kind and caring comment earlier that helped a lot so don't feel bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I never even noticed the only thing I really had in common with my friends was a taste in music. My music tastes have changed a bit over time but at the core remains just like it always was, heavy rock music and metal. I still love much softer music. I love a regular ballad as much as I love a power ballad, and have listened to some stuff that just instantly destroys my goth cred. I'm with you on radios too. I had to listen to one at work and I just felt so bad for people who feel they can actually enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh this song you included is very nice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nirvana <3 My favourite band since i was a kid, and they always will be my favourites! Kurt will always be a musical god! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unpopular opinion: I really hate queen.

    I wish for the radio you described. I'm mostly 90's grunge (Nirvana, Hole, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, STP) but I realllllllly love Elliott Smith and Bright Eyes. And also NMH as far as 90's, but that's not really grunge.

    Glad to see you're still around, but super happy you're doing well in the recovery aspect. Christmas is always difficult food-wise, so keep you cool ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to be drawn toward singer-songwriter-player artists, more likely to be women because I can sing along better. Sara Bareilles and Regina Spektor put me in my happy place, and I've just discovered Florence + the Machine (though I don't know if she plays any instruments). I could listen to the soundtracks for Wicked, Phantom of the Opera (the movie, not the actually operatic original), and Les Mis on repeat for the rest of my life.

    Opera and bluegrass vocals both set my ears on fire. I can't help it, it's an instinctive physical repulsion to the sound :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finding DEE is kind of like finding religion.

    actually it's exactly like finding religion.

    I'm like you, I'll listen to pretty much anything one. The only thing is I CANNOT abide female vocalists unless they're opera singers. I don't know why. I just hate them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!!!! I'm so happy I'm not alone in this because everyone else thinks I'm weird!! I'll make a tiny handful of exceptions (like obvs opera, and Courtney Love and Dolores O'Riordan.... can't think of any others off the top of me head), but generally I just can't listen to women singing. :/

      Delete
  9. So very true about your friends being of a like mind when it comes to music, at least back in the day. Everybody I hung with - that being about 10 or 11 guys from the neighborhood - listened to hard rock and heavy metal (we're talking back a ways, so think Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper - that sort of metal or proto-metal.) And not only did we like the same music, we also hated the same music. Disco was considered a disgrace to humanity among my peers :-)

    Nowadays, I like many kinds of music. Traditional jazz is a fave; big band can stoke my fire once in a while, too. Love me some Prokofiev, if we're talking classical. And newer metal bands, although not quite as "accessible" to my old-time ears, sure has some interesting arrangements happening, with tricky syncopation. Still can't stand disco, though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was much like you. I hung around the ecclectic bunch and listened to it all and then some! So glad you're enjoying the tunes. Brent is a magic DJ! DEE is the the man!

    These days, the music that seems to feed my soul the most is that of Cat Power and Kate Bush. I also like to mix things up with Jim White, The Mountain Goats, Joe Henry and Charlotte Gainsbourg from time to time. Lately though, I've been zeffing it with Jack Parow and Die Antwoord! Gotta love the Cape Town vibe! I'm weird like that!

    I'm super proud of you and the progress you've made with your recovery. You're looking absolutely stunning... as always! Love you, muffin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eclectic taste is the bomb.

    I remember in high school I listened to Wu-Tang constantly AND NIN, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Metallica, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bjork and crazy amounts of oontz oontz/kish kish kish and on other days, 80s greatest hits all day followed by punk rock all night.

    I couldn't live without music...not then, not now.

    These days, I steer clear of the 80s unless I feel nostalgic. However I'm listening to the latest Bjork album right now. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like pretty much everything except R'n'B and most country.

    Right now I'm whoring the Lindsay Stirling, Two Steps from Hell and E.S. Posthumus as writing music, with a little Florence and the Machine and Marina and the Diamonds on the side.

    Your comment was PURE GOLD. I'm going to put it on a piece of paper and put it on my wall where I can see it when I write. Between you and Ruby, the Panic Monster has been slaughtered. Lol, I wonder what the brain will try to troll me with next? -.- Until then: WRITE ALL THE STORIES!!1!

    I'm so going to have to enforce an after-10pm Tumblr ban here. I'll never get my sleeping sorted if I'm scrolling until midnight!

    I didn't see the other cat, but there are four candidates for possible corpsehood. I'm going to get a water gun for those fucking ginger-and-whites! Bring on the boxing day sales! Dralion's nose is healing really well, most of the scab is off and it hasn't developed an infection yet.

    If I need to talk about anything triggering I'll try to put it at the end of a post so you can skip it, or cram it all into one so you can just ignore the whole thing. I like the idea of you being alive and spending time on things you like doing.

    So yeah. I fucking love you. Sending e-hugs, since work has seriously encroached on my knitting time AGAIN.

    Arohanui <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Music students get called music snobs because we listen to a lot of classical music. Listening to most Mahler Symphonies still stirs my soul :)

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.