Sunday, October 7, 2012

some autumnal recipes...

So I came home depressed yesterday and started drinking, which led to some drunken baking to use up the rest of the can of pumpkin in the fridge. 

And I made Pumpkin Scones Two Ways

The first recipe is for what I think of as traditional scones (those lumpy shapeless things your Irish/English/Scottish relatives make to go with tea). They're not sweet, but they are nice toasted and buttered and jammed for breakfast, or just anytime with a nice cup of tea. I came up with this on the fly.

You will need:
- ~2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup pumpkin
- ~2 - 4 tbsp of dark brown sugar (depending on your tastes)
- cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice
- 7 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk

Optional: copious amounts of wine:


To make:
- Preheat oven to 375 degreed F

- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and however much of the spices you would like (I used like maybe 1/2 tsp... Idk I never measure things anymore...).

- Cut the butter into little cubes and toss them in with the flour.

- Crumble 6 tbsp butter into the flour with your hands (the same way you would for making shortbread) until there are no big pieces of butter left.

- In a separate bowl, mix the pumpkin, egg, milk, and 1 tbsp of melted butter, and mix in the brown sugar. Add that gradually to the flour.

- You will now have a big sticky mess. Using extra flour to put on your hands, turn the dough into lumps about the size of your fist. Arrange on a cookie sheet.

- Bake for between 10 to 12 minutes. They don't look incredibly attractive (apparently), but they're lovely and fluffy and delicious. 


The other pumpkin scone recipe I found here. I made some small changes (used light brown sugar in place of 1/4 cup white, and dark brown in place of 3 tbsp light brown). I also added some allspice. And since I didn't have half & half, I instead used 2 tbsp melted butter mixed with 2 tbsp 2% milk. 

I also had some issues cutting the dough because by then I'd had like half a bottle of wine. The nicest looking ones:

They were quite delicious.

I am off now to Petco to find a windowseat for my cat.....

12 comments:

  1. You look great drinking the wine Mitch, I love this recipe so much though, the icing looks plain incredible, I'd love to eat some of this right now, I'm so tempted to try making these for myself, I really am, mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh, i love this time of year! the biscuits look so good; i definitely need to make them! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin scones. Oh God! I love drunken baking and those look delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you bake drunk and still end up with edible results???? And look so utterly fabulous while doing so???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo looks so nom
    I gotta learn how to cook. Perhaps I should just try all your recipes one by one, Julie & Julia style.
    You still look gorgeous, and so amazing that even when drunk you create culinary masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scones intimidate me, I fear to make Stone-Scones so I avoid them and stick to bikkies. Nonetheless I shall be translating this into metric to try next Autumn.

    You are an AMAZING baker. I bow to your superior skills <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, they look delicious, especially the iced ones!

    Drunken baking/cooking Yes!

    Drunken bang/fringe trimming NO! No, no, no, no! i will be paying for this for many months! Stupid!

    You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, those are so my kinda scones, M.! I just love the colour! Glorious! Your recipes are always so scrummy! I love the pictures of you in the kitchen. Nice glass goblet, too! I still remember the ones of you holding that ginormous steak and kidney pie! God, that pie was almost bigger than you! Haha! Fun times, eh?! Wish I were there! Love you. :) ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound absolutely amazing!! I can't wait to give them ago. My mum is obsessed with scones (something about her being from Devon). There's no debate in her house about the order or the cream and jam.

    Hope you've been well - hopefully going to be allowed time for a huge reading catch up on your life (i.e. through blogdom) soon. Lots of love! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drunken baking? Have you ever heard the Wilfred Brimley (well, someone imitating Wilfed) bit where he gets further and further sauced while describing how to prepare a turkey? Hilarious. I can't do it justice, but I'm sure it's somewhere on the net.
    Pumpkin scones though.
    Hmmmmmmmmmm.............................

    ReplyDelete
  11. Copious amounts of wine (or any drug, really) makes just about everything more fun! And copious amounts of baked goods makes everything more fun, too! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those scones are beautiful, but you are one thousand times more beautiful. Even when drunk. ;)

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.