So I came home depressed yesterday and started drinking, which led to some drunken baking to use up the rest of the can of pumpkin in the fridge.
And I made Pumpkin Scones Two Ways
The first recipe is for what I think of as traditional scones (those lumpy shapeless things your Irish/English/Scottish relatives make to go with tea). They're not sweet, but they are nice toasted and buttered and jammed for breakfast, or just anytime with a nice cup of tea. I came up with this on the fly.
You will need:
- ~2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup pumpkin
- ~2 - 4 tbsp of dark brown sugar (depending on your tastes)
- cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice
- 7 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk
Optional: copious amounts of wine:
- Preheat oven to 375 degreed F
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and however much of the spices you would like (I used like maybe 1/2 tsp... Idk I never measure things anymore...).
- Cut the butter into little cubes and toss them in with the flour.
- Crumble 6 tbsp butter into the flour with your hands (the same way you would for making shortbread) until there are no big pieces of butter left.
- In a separate bowl, mix the pumpkin, egg, milk, and 1 tbsp of melted butter, and mix in the brown sugar. Add that gradually to the flour.
- You will now have a big sticky mess. Using extra flour to put on your hands, turn the dough into lumps about the size of your fist. Arrange on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for between 10 to 12 minutes. They don't look incredibly attractive (apparently), but they're lovely and fluffy and delicious.
The other pumpkin scone recipe I found here. I made some small changes (used light brown sugar in place of 1/4 cup white, and dark brown in place of 3 tbsp light brown). I also added some allspice. And since I didn't have half & half, I instead used 2 tbsp melted butter mixed with 2 tbsp 2% milk.
I also had some issues cutting the dough because by then I'd had like half a bottle of wine. The nicest looking ones:
They were quite delicious.
I am off now to Petco to find a windowseat for my cat.....