Tuesday, March 31, 2015

things and stuffs

Anyone else having an issue with blogs loading? Like every other blog I try to look at takes ten years to load or doesn't load at all.....

I did not get the apartment. Did extreme research before committing to anything, which included interrogating the other tenants about everything from the nearest neighbours to the utilities.

The utilities stopped me. The apartment is heated with propane. I knew propane was the most expensive method of heating but holy hand grenades I never thought it would cost as much as the other tenants are paying. The one lady I spoke to said on average the propane costs $200 a month. Up to $400 in the winter.


Yeah so I can't afford that. I shall continue house-hunting. 

Anyone else doing the A-Z blog thing in April? I was going to, but I have run out of time. So the MS paint Bible stories as told by Mich shall have to wait until next year. Or maybe I'll just get bored and post them anyway when I finish them.....

AND NOW FOR AN EASTER RECIPE.

Mumsy pulled this one out of nowhere and baked a trial run last night. I have tasted few things as glorious as this recipe, which is apparently a traditional British dish. Last night was the first time I ever even heard of it, and I feel like I have been thoroughly deprived for the past 30 years of my life. 

I also don't know how I never thought of this on my own. Because it is genius. 

Egg and Bacon Pie. 


It's as delicious as it sounds, even if I can't take appetizing photos of it. So here is my grandmother's recipe. It is extremely easy to make.

You will need:
- pie crust (I am awful at making my own pie crusts, so I usually go with the pre-made ones from the supermarket)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 lb. bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste

Granny makes this a bit differently than the *traditional* English Egg & Bacon pie. To make her version:
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F (~200 C).
- Line your pie dish with the pie crust, and then layer the minced onion on the bottom. 
- Layer the chopped bacon over the onion. 
- Whisk the 4 eggs in a mixing bowl, and then pour them over the bacon, making sure everything is evenly distributed in the pie dish. Add salt and pepper if you like. 
- Cover the top with pie crust. Brush with egg or a little melted butter. Bake for about 45 - 50 minutes (or until the pie crust is a nice golden brown).

Try not to eat the entire thing at once. 

We'll be making another one for Sunday, and I shall also be making my now-famous rainbow Spekkoek


Hope y'all have a nice Easter week!! Or Passover! ...or whatever else you might be celebrating.  :)

9 comments:

  1. Same problem with loading blogs. Chrome was slow, seems to work faster with Explorer.
    Used to be just the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum yum. My mum has a similar recipe that we made just last week. I was a bit ticked off she hadn't shared the recipe before. I was amazed how EASY it is, like, no quiche required. We do mini ones in muffin tins. Diced bacon, 6 eggs, a cup of cheese, onion and S&P baked in pastry. I'm a sucker for cheese, but the rest is pretty much the same.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. only in uni, dear. otherwise, no issues at all. <3

    oh wow. damn.

    what is A to Z again?

    hmm. my posts are far in between. i might do a bunch of letters all in one post. because i'm a sucker for the non-conventional methods.

    did you say egg and bacon? did Bella say, egg, cheese and bacon? i want to die.

    oh my God. i'm hungry. i want bacon.

    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, same with blogger over here. You know blogger is like the least favorite child of Google, so they decided to let it die a very painful death. I've been progressing some of my crap (the blog that is) over to Wordpress, along with... 3 other blogs I own. So hint hint....
    Sorry to hear about the house... i hope you can find something else soon too and nice. And give us all a tour :)
    And I just forgot what the hell I was going to say....

    ...
    Oh!, I was going to do the A-Z challenge thing but April arrived too soon and I also ran out of time. At the moment I can commit to once a week, but having to come up with a topic on a daily basis is like forcing yourself to go # 2 every 10 minutes for an entire week. NOT very enjoyable, unless you have enough material. To write that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing that about Blogger and Word Press for some time now. I'm staying where I am, but that may be just because I'm a stubborn old coot on the back edge of middle age.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that looks delicious, and I'm not even a fan of bacon OR eggs! Hopefully you find an apartment soon!
    <3 Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Mich, love your blog, so sorry you didn't get your house, I wanted to come live with you things are that bad here...loooove you tons

    ReplyDelete
  7. It doesn't seem any slower loading blogs than normal. Me, on the other hand? I usually fall asleep before I get loaded.
    Eggs...bacon...pie.
    Sold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to do dirty, dirty things with that bacon pie O.O

    P.S. Whole eggs are vile because yolk. Your granny knew what's what.

    P.P.S. Do you cook the bacon first?

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.