Tuesday, December 2, 2014

.

My cat is dying. 

I know Daisy is not exactly young at 14, but she was always pretty healthy. And then she got suddenly really sick over the weekend. I feel like it's all my fault for leaving her overnight on Thanksgiving, like maybe she ate too much too fast from the food I left for her, and was stressed out being alone. 

$4,000 spent at the vet and the emergency animal hospital, and she's not getting better. I took her home yesterday after 3 days in the hospital, as they said she might recover better in her own home. 

But she won't eat. Or drink water. And I feel like a horrible person every time I force her pain meds and appetite stimulant down her throat, and inject her with anti-nausea medicine. 

And now the vet says if she won't eat, then the only thing they can do is put in a feeding tube until she recovers, but the actual problem (pancreatitis) will never go away. 

So even if she does recover from this flare up, this could happen all over again. And again and again until it eventually kills her. 

I don't have money for the feeding tube. I am maxed out credit wise. And even if I did, I don't want to put poor Daisy through all that, especially if it might not even work.

I just don't know. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Mich. I think you know this in your heart of hearts, even if you don't feel it, but it's not your fault. Do you still have my e-mail? Drop me a line with your address and I will try to send a speck of Christmas cheer this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing is worse than looking into a pet's eyes, them begging you to do something, you having nothing you can do. At that age, there's probably nothing you did, but that makes it no better. I have shared your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say. This is not your fault. There will always be things you'll look back on and say "but if I'd...", but this is not your fault. You were there when she needed you to take her to the vet, and you are doing the very best you can for her. Love her all you can with the time she has left, and that's all you can do.

    I'll be keeping you and miss Daisy in my thoughts <3
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mich,

    I am so, so very sorry. Wish I knew what to say, it such an awful situation to be in.....Mom and I lost our Cuddles a few months ago, it's hard to go out there without him being there. I'm sorry, you probabaly didn't need to hear that. This is not your fault!!!!!!!

    Love you lots, tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, poor Daisy! I'm sorry you're losing her Mich. I can understand why you wouldn't want to put her through more meds, especially if it does little for her quality of life. That said, it's so hard to let them go when there are options, however meager and temporary. Hope you're able to have more time with her...a Christmas miracle perhaps. :)

    The Pedestrian Writer

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.