Friday, April 13, 2012

And speaking of cake....... I have cake!

Just a quick recipe post......


First, a photo of the GLORIOUS spekkoek I made for Easter:


Twelve layers of rainbow. I used the basic spekkoek recipe, but instead of the traditional spices, I just used a few dashes of nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger, and then I added about 3 teaspoons of raspberry extract to the bowls of pink, orange, and purple cake mix (1 tsp per colour). I sprinkled the top with confectioners sugar. The final result was spectacular.


While my aunties were here a couple weeks ago, Anorexic Auntie requested a cake for their last Sunday here. She has health issues and is on an extremely strict diet. (Proof of how Fate can really be an arsehole sometimes--years and years of hard work at ED recovery, and now she actually can't eat anything.) So for their last full day with us, I told her to list her favourite foods out of the things she CAN eat, so I could make her a nice dinner (I barbecued in intense rain because the weather forecasters are morons, and also nearly blew up the house whilst attempting to light the contrary barbecue with matches). 


While we discussed possible desserts, she told me about a parsnip maple cake she had tried a few months ago. The recipe included all things she can eat, and I was very intrigued by the idea of a parsnip maple cake. I never would have thought of baking with parsnips, but I suppose they're in the same family as carrots, and carrot cake is quite popular; so I decided to try it.


I didn't like any of the recipes I found online, and most of them had ingredients that Ano Auntie couldn't eat, so I ended up creating my own recipe. 
So without further ado....


Mich's Parsnip Maple Cake!


You will need:
- 9-inch baking pans (I used three to make three layers, but you can use 1 or 2)
- Parchment paper

- 1 cup maple syrup (actual maple syrup; make sure it's not flavoured corn syrup)
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- About 3 cups parsnips (~7 or 8 medium parsnips)
- 2 eggs

- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon


And for the icing:
- butter
- confectioners sugar
- maple syrup


To make it:
- Melt the butter in the microwave (not liquefied, but melted until it's pretty gooey). In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, maple syrup, and eggs.


- In a separate bowl, sift the flour and mix it up with the cinnamon, ginger, and baking soda.


- Add the flour mix to the butter/syrup mix a little at a time until well combined. 


- Peel and then chop up the parsnips...


...and use a food processor or a blender to get them grated up real good.
(And try not to overload the processor.)
I processed them until they were about as ground up as they could get.


- Mix the parsnips into the cake mix.


- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Use a little butter or margarine to grease the pans a bit, just so the parchment paper has something to stick to; 


...then line the pan with the parchment paper. You might want to trim the edges so there isn't too much parchment sticking out in order to avoid burning your house down. 
Then fill your pans with the cake mix, and bake for about 20 - 30 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the middle of the cake comes out clean. If you use only 2 cake pans or 1 pan, they'll obviously have to bake for longer (I'd guess up to 40 or 50 minutes for one pan).


- When they're finished, let the pans cool for a while (up to 20ish minutes), and then carefully lift the cakes out of the pans (delightfully easy because you just lift up the parchment paper and then peel it off the cakes). Let the cakes cool on a wire rack. 


- To make the icing, mix up some confectioners sugar, melted butter, and maple syrup until it's the flavour and consistency you want it to be. I no longer measure anything when I make icing, but when I was done it had the consistency of the cake icing you can buy in the store, so not drippy at all. 


- Using my bowie knife (I love whipping that out in front of Mum, especially while baking cakes and dressed in my frilly pink apron ^_^), I trimmed the edges of the cakes. The parchment paper can make them kind of uneven, so I went round the edges to smooth them out. 


- I iced each layer individually, laying one on top of the other, and then iced the top and the sides using a spatula (like the kind your mom used to smack you with). I finished it off by decorating with pearl sprinkles (really lovely ones that don't break your teeth!).


And OMG you guys.......


It was freaking DELICIOUS. 


Like melt-in-your-mouth, dripping with sticky sweetness, orgasmically delicious. 




Hope y'all had a good week, and enjoy your weekends! I'm driving up to Albany to see John Connolly on Saturday and I'm super excited. 

21 comments:

  1. You have magic powers. That rainbow cake proves it. I do not think my life will be complete until I have some rainbow cake. COME HERE AND BAKE ME ONE NAAOOOOOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake looks like one of the most delicious things I have ever seen ever Mich, I want to make myself one now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take your word for it but it sounds awful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have absolutely INSANE cake-baking skills! TWELVE LAYERS?!? You must have set some new world records for that one!

    Next time it rains on your BBQ, do the Kiwi Thing and move the whole shebang to the garage. Open enough so you don't kill everyone with fumes, but covered enough to actually keep the blasted thing going.

    Bowie Knife+Frilly Pink Apron? I wouldn't expect anything less.

    Sigh, I'm going to have to translate MORE deliciousness creating instructions and hunt the Import Shops for real maple syrup in decently sized bottles. This will be birthday-treat-only territory.

    Random question: How much does an American stick of butter weigh in grams? Our butter comes in 500gm blocks, and somehow I don't picture a "Stick" as being half a kilogram no matter what America's international reputation for massive portion sizes is! D:

    Love to you and the silly kitties! Take care <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. A year ago I would have said EEWWWWWW parsnip CAKE?!? But I actually tried that last autumn at this fancy restaurant near where I live and it tasted really amazing.

    Yours looks better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Angry on this one. It looks MUCH better than it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such pessimists!! But I did well in dealing with picky eaters with the parsnip cake: I didn't tell them there was parsnip in it, and EVERY SINGLE PERSON who tried it loved it!! So there. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parsnips...? Really...? I mean, I guess the maple would drown out any taste from the parsnips but still.

    Bit skeptical about this recipe I'm afraid. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. funny how all the guys say it sounds gross, but i bet they would eat it if you offered them a piece

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually, I heard somewhere that parsnips have a carroty sweet taste to them. I have never tried them, of course, Parsnips aren't a part of my daily saturated fat/pork rind diet regimen. I would like to though but, searching out a parsnip recipe ranks slightly above nipple twisting and walking blindly into traffic on my to do list. This recipe intrigues me though. I might give it a go. I just need to find a parsnip dealer. They're usually loitering around dark alleys and driving windowless vans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cake is beaitful and amazing, just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So colorful and tasty looking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, WOW!!! That cake looks amazing! Well done, M.! The parsnip cake looks wicked, too! I love root vegetable cakes. I saw this one on Cook Yourself Thin once. It's lush, but low calorie! How cool is that?!

    http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show/cook-yourself-thin-recipes/beetroot-chocolate-fudge-cake-recipe

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're so creative! Did you ever think of doing anything with your baking talents? I've seen so many awesome receipes on your blog and the turnout is always really attractive looking. I bet you'd be great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It look sooo amazingly delishous, Mich! i am sending the recipie to my niece, who is also an amazing cook....and your Easter cake is lovely!

    You rock, my dear, as always!

    xoxo, tracy

    ReplyDelete
  16. i especially love the parts about the bowie knife and the spatula!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't stop staring at the rainbow cake. CAN'T STOP. It makes me think of My Little Pony or Care Bears or something. Like OOOOOOOO LOOK AT THE HAPPY COLORS. xD

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to go with your idea on the Derpy tattoo, and add some outlined muffins. You're right, the happy one is much better.

    Yesss, get ink! So much prettier than scars. Maybe Harley Quin on one thigh and the Joker on the other? Or them both on one leg and someone else on the otther? So much scope for elaboration!

    Thank you for the wonderful comments. You're awesome!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just popping by to let you know, I <3 you...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. I've never seen a cake like that. It's beautiful! I'll assume it tastes as good as it looks, too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.