Monday, January 9, 2017

Ivy is still missing

I think I spotted her yesterday morning under the abandoned building next door, but of course I've been second guessing myself ever since. 

My friends and siblings helped me set up one of those humane animal traps, with cat food and stinky fish to lure her out. So far I've caught the stray orange kitten. 

I thought I saw her poke her head out late last night when I went to check the trap, but I'm second guessing that, too, as two of the strays (the orange kitten and Not Ivy, who looks just like Ivy only skinny) have been hanging around because they know there is extra food there. 

Last night Landlord let me leave the front door of our building wide open, and I slept on the floor beside my door in case Ivy came inside. By "slept" I mean dozed on and off between 5.00 AM and 8.00 AM.

I've refreshed the food in the trap again, and draped my old bathrobe over it because it smells like me. I have not actually seen Ivy under the building since the first time yesterday, though there are a lot of places under there she could hide even from the flashlight. Lil Sis made posters, which I hung up in the surrounding buildings just in case anyone sees her somewhere else.

I talked to a guy from the town Fire Department and Building Department, who says he doesn't think there is any more we can do that we haven't already done. Lil Sis spoke to a vet who said the same thing. I broke into the building with Mike the Band Leader, and there really wouldn't be an easy way to rip out the floor to reach her that way, as the floor is pretty solid and filled with asbestos. Plus I think all that noise would terrify her and she might flee and then we'd be back to square one.

I cannot eat. I feel sick. I know I will not sleep again tonight if she doesn't come home. And Bossman is trying to tell me I MUST come into work tomorrow. 

I will die if Ivy does not come back. 

7 comments:

  1. I have another friend that went through SOMEthing like this right before Christmas, and I'll tell you what I told him: If you have to grieve for a while fine. DO NOT let it beat you. Sad to say these things happen. Growing up on a major highway, it happened to me a LOT. You have to do what you need to so she has a home when she gets back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mich, my heart is breaking for you. Don't give up. Sending more good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope your cat comes home. I don't know too much about cats..several of our grands have them but most of their cats don't seem to know their names...they don't come when called, like a dog. Keeping fingers crossed your cat will find it's way back to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to read this. I have a very sad story about a lost pet but this is your pain today.
    You have done all you can and what happens, happens. She wanted out and found a way out. That is all we can say.
    I hope she comes back tonight.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry. Keeping good thoughts. I hope Ivy returns.

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.