Monday, December 21, 2015

Daddy, I want another pony.


Remember when you were ten years old and there was that one thing that everyone just had to collect or be branded a loser forever?

Pogs are the first thing that springs to mind. I think I was like 9 or 10 when those exploded into popularity. (I had an amazing collection, too. It included a slammer made of steel that probably would have killed someone if thrown at them. Good times.)


And everyone remembers how hard it was to get a Tamagotchi when they first got popular. 


When I was twelve, the girls in my school collected digital pets to the point where you were a social pariah if you didn't have at least one each of a Tamagotchi, Giga Pet, Nano Baby, Raku Raku Dinokun, and a Digimon.

I had sort of forgotten these weird little fads existed until my niece gave us her Christmas wish list. Know what the big fad is currently amongst the middle schoolers in the tri-state area?

Hand sanitizer.

Frigging HAND SANITIZER.

Specifically, mini hand sanitizers from Bath & Body Works.


The kids collect these now. And the little holders you can get to clip them onto your backpack. 

you can fight other people for them on ebay

Lil Sis says the kids she babysits have like hundreds of them, with bunches attached to every zipper on their school bags. And it's pretty much all they want for Christmas.

Weirdos.



What trends do you guys remember? And what are the kids around you collecting now? Have they, too, fallen victim to the hand sanitizer fad?

Have happy Christmas y'all. I start cooking tomorrow, beginning with the mince pies. I'm mixing it up a bit this year and replacing the brandy with expensive whiskey, so we shall see how they turn out........

11 comments:

  1. I remember I used to collect soap
    And fancy paper
    It's actually really funny that we called it fancy paper
    Basically it was just paper with a print on it

    Happy Christmas Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to collect it too! We called it "stationary". We used to keep in in folders. Weird!

      Delete
  2. My big thing was a bike.

    Love mince pie brandy/whiskey sounds good either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marbles and trading football team cards, good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here... baseball and football cards. (Back when gum still came in the pack.)

      Delete
  4. Giga pet! Holy crap, lol. I had one of those when I was like 19. Hahaha they had just come out and I was like um yes, I need this. A freaking electronic thing that needed to be fed and taken out to crap is just what I need.
    Back in the day, Garbage Pail Kids were what we all collected. Those things were down right horrible nasty fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL that's funny! My middle school niece loves those hand sanitizers. But she collects these things called Shopkins? Her friends all trade them. I bought her three packs for Christmas and they seem like the strangest things: Shopkins

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaah I had a couple of Giga Pets. I would take one now if someone handed it to me. Instead I settle for Neko Atsume where I give them toys but don't have to clean up their poop.

    Let's see... Cabbage Patch dolls, Pogs, Barbie/Disney princesses, Giga Pets, Beanie Babies, Furbies. It was a big deal when I got a Furby (we were poor). I loved that creepy little booger.

    The hand sanitizer boggles my mind, but if they're actually using it at appropriate times (like before eating) I can't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas Mich. Hand sanitizer is a weird trend. I hope whoever came up with that, and got kids addicted, got some kind of a raise at work. They just made that company millions.

    I grew up during the Pog, Tamagotchi, and Pokemon cards era. Pokemon Cards were such a problem at my school they were even banned. Good times. I've actually considered buying a set of pogs from eBay just to own them. They're pretty cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a friend whose brother went to hawaii for some kind of pog championship mid 90s

      Delete
  8. I can't say that I remember anything in particular we collected as children, but I am old and perhaps I'm forgetting what it was.

    Merry Christmas! May the New Year find you abundantly aware of His blessings in your life!

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.