Monday, November 1, 2010

That was fun. Now with Leeloo!

A break from the traditional Halloween. Usually, I go with my cousin and her girlfriend to this big party. But cousin and girlfriend have broken up (which makes it really effing hard to stay buddies with both of them >:O) so no more ridiculous party. Now I have to find my own ridiculous party. 


It was kinda ridiculous. 
I was hit on by:
- a large baby in footie pajamas
- the Joker (he gave me a joker card and everything--the Harley Quinn in me had to flirt back)
- a Mets fan
- a Chilean miner
- a beer-pong table




























Here's some photos from Halloweens past:
A bunch of us went as the Gotham Girls last year--me as Harley (duh), friends as Poison Ivy (he looked awesome), Catwoman, and the Joker in a nurse's outfit.


Halloween 2008--Marie Antoinette. That was my fav ever, I think. I want to do it again, but 'tis a tad expensive. 


Cookie recipe time!!


Sadly, this recipe is not vegan friendly, and because it is intended for a cookie press, it cannot be made vegan friendly. At least not by me. I'm not that skilled with the baking yet. There's more chemistry involved with baking than there is in cooking, and when you're trying to make shaped cookies (that will hold that shape in the oven), you have limited space to experiment.


You will need:
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract


To make it:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (~177 degrees C).
- In a big mixing bowl, mix the butter, shortening, and sugar with an electric mixer until it looks fluffy.
- Then mix in the egg and the vanilla, keep mixing until it's well-blended.


- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. The flour does not need to be sifted. Gradually add the flour mix to the larger bowl, stirring it into the sugar mix with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula (like the kind your mother used to smack you with). I added some pumpkin pie spice at this point, just to make them taste a bit festive. You can flavour them with whatever you want really, so long as it's only seasoning and not something that will change the molecular makeup of the dough (like chocolate). In the past, I've used ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg as well. 
- When it's all mixed, it should have sort of the consistency of Play-Doh. Using your handy spatula, put the dough into the cookie press, trying to press it down as flat as possible. Then press the cookies onto an ungreased baking sheet about an inch apart. If you don't have a cookie press, you can just use a rolling pin or something similar and roll the dough flat, then cut out whatever shapes you want. 
- It took me a while to get the hang of the cookie press. I ended up with a few wonky cookies... Bake them for 7 minutes, then take them out and let them cool on a rack. 
Then decorate! 


Hope you are all having a wonderful Halloween!! I had waaaay too much junk at the party last night. I'm off trick or treating with Big Sis#2 and the Niece (age 5), so will be channeling all the powers of the Hangover God to keep me feeling too queasy to eat candy. 

16 comments:

  1. Your costumes are AMAZING! I can't wait to see this years! And I love your orange hair from your last post! Those cookies looks quite tasty and you probably could just use that egg replacer powder to make them vegan...I think you'd get the same consistency...Hmmm maybe I'll have to try them one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your costumes are great, you look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first though upon seeing your costumes, "Oh wow!!" I freaking LOVE the Mari Antoinette one!!! 1700s Europe (particularly France) is one of my favorite time periods to dress up at (Renaissance/Medieval is probably my first).

    Thank you for the cookie recipe! I love to bake =). I also like how you include pictures for us visual learners :D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the poem at the top of your page. i cant believe you wrote that <3 you talented wee thing!
    ok moving on :P
    your costumes are jaw-droppingly cool
    and im sure you will look stunning again
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omnomnom to the food, and to you! :) You look amazing :D Seriously. Your weight is going down like a rocket! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Kind of* dying to see the Leeloo costume :P
    And I've been wanting to figure out some way to dress as Harley, but I've never been known to put much thought into making my own costumes.
    And the eyebrow comment was totally not weird. Believe me, I love eyebrows like crazy. You're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your boobs look super in the harley one. ;-)

    whaddya mean you dont' have any leeloo pics. SLACKER
    haha <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cave is an art installation called Pellucid by a local artist named Rebecca DiDomenico and is on display here at MCA Denver.

    I can't wait to see your multipass, btw. lmao

    That sounds dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow your costumes are awesome!! my group is so half assed...we'll wear normal clubbing clothes with devil horn ears or wings or something :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I absolutely can't wait to see the pictures!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love all ur past costumes they are so great and ur so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  12. You tiny, adorable thing you!

    LOVE, love the Marie Antoninette (sp?) costume...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahaha i love your blog you're so hilarious! and very motivational too if i may add :) yum those cookies look delish, i will def be trying them out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg your costumes are so cute!! The Marie Antoinette one is definitely my favorite! I can imagine it would be costly though.
    Your orange hair is kick ass to say the least, I wish I had the balls to dye mine like that.
    The cookies look yummy, I might have to try them:) but I'm horrible with self control when it comes to sweets hehe
    Hope the beginning of your November is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. your outfit missy! is brilliant!
    and i LOVE the harley one!
    eeeeeeeek halloween :) (L)
    hope you had a great day :)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, Damn! Who wouldn't hit on you? Tres sexy, love.

    ReplyDelete

We say whatever we want to whomever we want, at all times.